Best splitting maul no axes

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an x27 & a limited edition fiskars which is near identical to the x25. The x27 is a decent splitter but don't judge them based on only using the x25, it won't split much. I bought it for the missus but I use it for kindling. It will split small stuff but is not suitable as a serious splitter. Having said that I've gone back to using my vintage hand forged wood handled axes around 5-6lb head weight. I just prefer them. But the x27 is a good unit I have no regrets in purchasing.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you know? X2. The X27's are great, good value, good price, perform well. But they just don't do it for me, when you have a good number of axes you find yourself using a few that 'feel' the best & that's where it is. I'd rather remove the rust on a 50 y/o hand forged head with phantom bevels, re-handle it, spend some time filing an edge on it & using it. Ya the x27 splits wood pretty good with its plastic handle and all but....

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I spent a good part of the days splitting with an fiskars Iso core , a husqvarna s2800, a husqvarna splitting maul and a few others. I will not be selling or even let anyone use my husqvarna maul.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@hsell

Heath: Any long term updates on the Ochsenkopf splitting Axe?
I am torn between the Gransfors Bruk and the Ochsenkopf. Not sure which one to pull the trigger on.

On edit, I can get the Orange Stihl Oschsenkopf cheaper than the yellow Ochsenkopf.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have one Brian?
You try any of the others mentioned?

Roadfxr

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. You buy it new?
That's the one I am looking at. Just wish the handle was a bit longer.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe these were the axes that @bryanr2 had mentioned earlier in the thread but not absolutely sure. I just acquired a gransfor splitting axe last week. Hoping to get a little time on it this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. Outstanding workmanship.

Roadfxr

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. You buy it new?
That's the one I am looking at. Just wish the handle was a bit longer.

Yes. I bought it at Omaha knife. He has a pretty large inventory of gransfor bruks. His website is partially under construction but he told me that he usually has more in stock then what he lists on his website. And yes i agree on wishing the handle was a bit longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. I just got done looking extensively at the Hults Bruk style splitting Ax. It is nice workmanship, but I gotta admit, I am just not feeling it. Price is good, but I DO NOT like the head style. Much too small for my liking.
Its between the Gransfors Bruk and the Ochsenkopf. Gransfors is almost twice the price of the Ochsenkopf.
I will wait til I hear back from Heath and see what he has to say about the Ochsenkopf.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. I just got done looking extensively at the Hults Bruk style splitting Ax. It is nice workmanship, but I gotta admit, I am just not feeling it. Price is good, but I DO NOT like the head style. Much too small for my liking.
Its between the Gransfors Bruk and the Ochsenkopf. Gransfors is almost twice the price of the Ochsenkopf.
I will wait til I hear back from Heath and see what he has to say about the Ochsenkopf.
Hults Bruks 4.5 lb head ,32 inch handle
1621.jpg