Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here it is:

I do like the head shape of that axe, Wilhelm. Looks like it would stick more than what it actually does, but the wedge shape with no thinning probably makes the difference. Someone knew what they were doing and knew how to build a splitting tool!!!:)

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
1:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I currently own all of these pictured. I like them all for different reasons. The Stihl Pro splitting axe should be my favorite as it is a 30" handle and 6lb head. For some reason it just feels cumbersome. I use the X27 and ISOcore the most. The ISOcore maul hits very hard IMHO. I use it for the butt cuts then switch to the x27 as the splitting gets easier. The Stihl 8lb pro splitting maul is very nice too but the head shape of the ISO is better. If the husky 2800 had a 32" handle I would be in love with it. As is, we're just good friends. It is s great lighter wedge driver though. The x27 needs a flat surface for driving wedges and an extra 1/2lb it would be perfect.(Think, husky 2800 with a longer handle) It is still a very nice splitter. Not pictured is my X25. It lives beside the stove for the stuff quality control missed going in the basement. The shorter handle keeps it away from my woodroom ceiling. Keep in mind, I'm splitting 22-24" length hardwoods.

AJ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 47

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AJ

What is the weight of the head on the Fiskars ISO?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Thank you. I have been checking on the internet. [emoji106]

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I currently own all of these pictured. I like them all for different reasons. The Stihl Pro splitting axe should be my favorite as it is a 30" handle and 6lb head. For some reason it just feels cumbersome. I use the X27 and ISOcore the most. The ISOcore maul hits very hard IMHO. I use it for the butt cuts then switch to the x27 as the splitting gets easier. The Stihl 8lb pro splitting maul is very nice too but the head shape of the ISO is better. If the husky 2800 had a 32" handle I would be in love with it. As is, we're just good friends. It is s great lighter wedge driver though. The x27 needs a flat surface for driving wedges and an extra 1/2lb it would be perfect.(Think, husky 2800 with a longer handle) It is still a very nice splitter. Not pictured is my X25. It lives beside the stove for the stuff quality control missed going in the basement. The shorter handle keeps it away from my woodroom ceiling. Keep in mind, I'm splitting 22-24" length hardwoods.

AJ

Is this the same as the Stihl 6lb, but with a 5.5lb head?

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...ck-Rotband-Plus-with-Hickory-Handle-80-cm.axd

Plus:
How tall are you?

2 Rings & A Flattop, LLC Test Dummy

Last edited:

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this the same as the Stihl 6lb, but with a 5.5lb head?

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...ck-Rotband-Plus-with-Hickory-Handle-80-cm.axd

Plus:
How tall are you?

Yes I believe they are the same axe. I recall Stihl advertising it at 6lbs. I could be wrong on that but all the Stihl "pro" series axes are just orange oschenkopfs. I've never actually weighed any of them.

For comparison sake, I'm 5'11", 190lb slightly long armed compared to most my size.

Edit; I typically split rounds on the ground or on a very short block. Rarely split anything atop another round.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I believe they are the same axe. I recall Stihl advertising it at 6lbs. I could be wrong on that but all the Stihl "pro" series axes are just orange oschenkopfs. I've never actually weighed any of them.

For comparison sake, I'm 5'11", 190lb slightly long armed compared to most my size.

Edit; I typically split rounds on the ground or on a very short block. Rarely split anything atop another round.

I want a bit heavier felling axe than my current 3.5# Jersey Council: I also want a minimum handle length of 32". The 3.5# 36" curved handle fits me well, but the head is too light.

I do split some, so I thought, why not try this yellow 5.5# axe.

Is the Poll of sufficient size/ width for driving wedges?

Just glancing at Bailey's Page, there are 2.5 & 2.7 kg axes in the OX brand....

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want a bit heavier felling axe than my current 3.5# Jersey Council: I also want a minimum handle length of 32". The 3.5# 36" curved handle fits me well, but the head is too light.

I do split some, so I thought, why not try this yellow 5.5# axe.

Is the Poll of sufficient size/ width for driving wedges?

Just glancing at Bailey's Page, there are 2.5 & 2.7 kg axes in the OX brand....

It is a pretty good wedge driver in my opinion. The trouble I find with most axes is if I really like the handle for splitting, it usually feels akward flipped around for wedging This one is nice in that respect. It works equally well either way. The striking surface is slightly larger than that of a wedge so it works well as long as you have some level of accuracy. As I mentioned before it should be my favorite as it's a very nice axe but I rarely use it compared to the two fiskars. It's somewhat like a 60cc saw, jack of all, master of none.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really like a good hickory handle. I (my wife) have a x25 and she loves it and yes it does work. But my favorite is the Husqvarna splitting maul. 32" handle, head is around 6 pounds so carries enough wallop for anything I want to swing a maul at. If it falls short then I just noodle it up. (My 6100 is my wood splitter) like many though I feel some splitting tools work better for different wood so if you can have more then one. I think I have 7 ish. Lol I do have a new ISO fiskars that I have not brought home yet.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking about just putting a new hickory handle in my maul just not exactly sure which one I'd need as they have different style handles for different head shapes it seems

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a pretty good wedge driver in my opinion. The trouble I find with most axes is if I really like the handle for splitting, it usually feels akward flipped around for wedging This one is nice in that respect. It works equally well either way. The striking surface is slightly larger than that of a wedge so it works well as long as you have some level of accuracy. As I mentioned before it should be my favorite as it's a very nice axe but I rarely use it compared to the two fiskars. It's somewhat like a 60cc saw, jack of all, master of none.

I already like it.

7a07c44f57e51e3ce6de9e7d9f07e491.jpg

7adff8777ba0802cfe0b863e974baee2.jpeg

dbfb4e14c7504f047b3913eb7452d7f6.jpg

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys have me convinced I need to try the 6lb husky maul. What's the best price you guys have found for one?

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You guys have me convinced I need to try the 6lb husky maul. What's the best price you guys have found for one?
Not a ton of Mark up on them. If you find one in the $70 get it because you will probably never find a new one for less.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks better in those colors. Tell me about that scabbard/sheath. Looks pretty interesting.

I ordered this & a wedge keeper.
9e0f4688cb43ac973c45017e092b1d80.png

The scabbard is for a 4-6lb felling axe, but I "adjusted it to fit."

This "splitting axe" is border line maul. Not quite, but not too far off.

I found it on amazon for $115 plus s&h.

I think it looks better this way too.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great work. Looks like you have that ax/maul/splitter mastered.
I'm basically splitting firewood since my early teenage years.
I am using that particular ax for about two decades now.
I occasionally try others in my arsenal but I quickly fall back to that one - it is somewhat unique and just rips through oak and beech.

I have to look through my records and find a video me splitting knot free oak rounds - requires no force whatsoever with that ax.

I know that a good portion of the ax's performance comes from the ~40" long handle!
I once replaced it with a 32" short one and didn't like it at all - one reason is probably the fact that I split the rounds on the ground and a shorter handle creates a different impact angle of the ax heads blade.

I see that most go for high weight.
I imagine a heavy ax/maul can be tiring to swing repeatedly.
I prefer a longer handle which adds leverage/acceleration to the ax's head without causing increased body fatigue.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg My first attempt at new handle. Worked. It's a single bit ace handle. That's what fit. Maul seems much more of a "dead" blow now. I prefer it over the old handle. I split some crap out back. Feels good even with an axe handle. Length is the same as it was new. I almost believe it is better than new

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you took a grinder to the outsides of that and really smoothed out those rough marks, I bet it would cut and split even better.
I am just not a big fan of the heavy head mauls anymore.