Best splitting maul no axes

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking into a new splitting maul. I'm interested in the best, the pretty good , anything really.
I have a cheap one from lowes with a red polymer type handle. 6 pound. It works as well as I figure any should. I'm due to get another this season as mine is about to blow the epoxy out of the handle in the head.

What types are out there , Are any better than any other

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fiskars IsoCore maul is damn good from what I understand...never swung one but the reviews on the thing are pretty stout.

Last edited:

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As above, EVERYBODY who owns the Fiskars X27 loves them and NOBODY (at least on the internet ;-0 ) has ever had anything bad to say about them. Personally, I've never used one. I have a Wetterlings Splitting Maul and a Gransfors Bruks large splitting axe. I use the Wetterlings 95+% of the time when I'm not using the Echo/Bearcat hydraulic. Best bang for the buck, probably the X27. Best overall ($ not an option), I don't know, Wetterlings vs. X27

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You cannot use an X27 to hit anything metal, wedges etc. They are pretty good splitters but I'd reccomend a hand forged tool, even if its a vintage one you need to put a new handle on. Big clumsy 8lb mauls IME are not very efficient, a 4-5lb hand forged axe can move fast. Impact Force: weight X velocity(speed). Keep that fact of physics in mind when making your choice. What I'm kinda trying to say is the biggest meanest looking maul/splitter is often not the most effective.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If that Husky splitter came in a 36" handle, I'd get one too. But I am also curious to know if there are any 4 lb hand forged heads. I can swing a 4lb faster, and do it all day long. Verses an 8 lb head that gets me fatigued sooner.
My favorite is the Fiskars X27. I have had it for a while now.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even with the shorter handle Mike?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After using an X27 for the majority of my splitting then getting the Fiskars IsoCore 8 lb maul you learn to appreciate the effective light weight splitting axes. Often with the X27 I feel like it could use 1 more lb of weight and it would be perfect. Most of the time I use the Isocore I wish it was 1 lb lighter. I would love to try some of the fancy boy German mauls. Regardless, the pole on the Isocore is big an thick and pound nice. If wedge driving is a big consideration the Isocore does well with that and the handle also does well not transferring vibration back to the user.

jeepsnchainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have tried 90% of what's out there and being a fabricator and machinist I have built a bunch as well, but this Truper 8lb has me ready to buy another. I love this thing. I could also understand that a maul may fit your personal swing pattern and be different from person to person. It is probably best to try everything you can until one strikes you the best.http://www.landmsupply.com/departme...yESvGGhfTGnEL73tGN0QMMK6jq_UMv7THtxoCBF3w_wcB

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks Mike

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sure like my Gransfors Bruks splitting maul. Not cheap, but very well made. Very effective at splitting, easy on the operator by virtue of its relatively light weight and short handle. Definitely less vibration than the X27.

It's still more of an axe, though when compared to an 8# maul. The GB only has a 5.5# head. Personally, I contend that i can split more effectively with it because the lighter weight and short handle allow me to place my strike much more precisely, which makes it more effective.

Personally, I have no use for an 8# maul, but if that's what you're looking for, the Gransfors may not be for you. I'd sure like to try the isocore sometime.

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As others I use the x27 but I'd sure like to try the GB maul.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I sure like my Gransfors Bruks splitting maul. Not cheap, but very well made. Very effective at splitting, easy on the operator by virtue of its relatively light weight and short handle. Definitely less vibration than the X27.

It's still more of an axe, though when compared to an 8# maul. The GB only has a 5.5# head. Personally, I contend that i can split more effectively with it because the lighter weight and short handle allow me to place my strike much more precisely, which makes it more effective.

Personally, I have no use for an 8# maul, but if that's what you're looking for, the Gransfors may not be for you. I'd sure like to try the isocore sometime.
You wont like it, I can tell.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like just a regular old maul. I am surprised you like that better than X27 or the Husky

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag