High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Best splitting maul no axes

Jonnyredtreepferder

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have been splitting my firewood with classic American pattern 8# mauls for 20+ years. When I get some especially twisted, knotty, ugly apple or yellow birch the neighbor brings his hydro splitter over and lends a hand. Well, after splitting some large knotty pine rounds with my dull 8 pounder this spring the shock/vibration coming down the fiberglass handle gave me some bad tendonitis in my right index finger. When the maul would occasionally bounce off the wood it felt like an electric shock shooting up my arm. So after healing up, I bought two husqvarna 6# mauls and immediately fell in love with them. The balance is perfect, though I wish the handles were a bit longer than 32". Then I bought a vintage German pattern 6# maul head on ebay and made my own 36" handle from a large white ash I cut off of my farm. Splitting out the billets and working one down with hatchet, knife and drawshave was incredibly rewarding. So was grinding off most of the imperfections on the maul head and giving it an edge. Now when I pick up one of the 8 pounders it feels like a sack of cement. I don't see how anyone would choose to split with those massive steel handle cheese wedge boat anchors. I swung one a couple of times and must say it was the least ergonomic handtool I have ever laid my hands on. Anyhow, I cannot recommend the husqy maul highly enough. I much prefer it to the fiskars X27 I gave to my stepfather- though that is also an excellent splitter.

Jonnyredtreepferder

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I just discovered this forum and am really thrilled to find a place with such great guys and gals that share my interests . What a wonderful resource!

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys! I just discovered this forum and am really thrilled to find a place with such great guys and gals that share my interests . What a wonderful resource!

Welcome to the forum i think you’ll fit right in keep posting
And plenty of fotos