Automatic Chain Sharpener - Under $300

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats what I would like to see Jake. I would also like to see a finished ground cutter.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only real way to tell if grinder is better than hand filing is to test the cutting ability. Timed cuts.
At least that's my thought.

Well, Philbert testing an auto ground chain versus one he hand filed doesn't really tell anyone much in my opinion. It's only informative if you know how well you can hand file a chain compared to Philbert. I think if you want to know how well it cuts you need to grind a new loop if RS or LGX with it and then compare to another loop right from the box. Just my opinion.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well.... I am assuming that Phil knows how to hand file a chain.
Just hypothetically speaking, if the ground chain does not cut as good as my hand filed chain, then I doubt I would be interested in purchasing the grinder. If a ground chain cuts at least equal to or better than my hand filed chain, then I would be interested.
Just me.

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just spoke with our inventory manager about getting the demo unit out. Should go either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'll send @Philbert an email with a tracking number once I get that from our inventory manager.

I'm excited to read about the comparison tests you guys come up with. We'd be happy to read these results, so when you do decide to conduct them, please keep in mind that we can and will make changes based on these results, but we would need evidence presented in a way that allows us to isolate variables and make those design changes. In other words: if you can, please conduct your experiments in a scientific way so that we can actually make changes where changes need to be made!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's only informative if you know how well you can hand file a chain compared to Philbert
This thread is probably not the best place to continue / re-hash the 'file-versus-grind' discussion / debate / argument. As Ryan suggests, there can be variation in the results with hand filing; I will add that there can also be considerable variation even when using various file guides, and even when grinding. In theory, a grinder, especially an automatic grinder, should create more consistent cutters. Whether or not these are better may be up to the individual user.

Lots of ways to sharpen, eveybody has to find something that works for them.

This product is a new way, in that it brings automatic grinding down to a very affordable level. Anxious to see how it works!

Philbert

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A ground chain should have the ability to cut as well as a filed chain due to the consistency if it leaves a smooth enough finish. Any adjustable grinder can be set up for common filing angles

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Philbert
Do you have a list for the pass around started?
If you are interested in evaluating the product, and agree to the guidelines posted earlier, please send me a personal message. I will review these with Gun and put together a list. Please only participate if you can approach it with an open mind. If you don't like grinders, only run skip tooth chain, not interested in learning how to program/run it, etc., this is not the sharpener for you.

Philbert

Thank you Gun.

Send it to me and we will get this ball rolling (I will PM you my address).

My recommendations are:
- established OPE members;
- especially those who have expressed an interest in this thread;
- who commit to giving the product a fair, unbiased evaluation;
- and commit to sharing their experiences, comments and recommendations in this thread (positive and negative);
- who actually run chain that this machine accommodates (3/8 low profile ('PICCO'), .325, full sized 3/8 pitch; 0.043 and 0.050 gauge);
- who agree to ship the machine to the next person at their own expense (up to $30?);
- who live in the US (sorry guys: even shipping to Canada gets expensive and complicated, and the AC adaptor is for 120V US).

Since TEMCo retains ownership until the end, I will ask Gun to approve the list.

I would want to keep the unit for a few weeks, since evaluation will be done on the side. Limited cutting going on right now (winter in Minnesota!), but I do have 'a few' different chains to try it on. No GTGs planned for this time of year either, but I might be able to show it to some other folks informally.

Thoughts?

Philbert

Since there are no objections or vetos against this general plan, I will discuss shipping @Philbert a unit and have him arrange the details for its future travels. Here are a couple of stipulations that I'd like to make clear:

1. TEMCo will cover any broken parts or replacements on the demo, as we normally do for any of our products.
2. OPE forum members will cover the cost of shipping the demo to each other.
3. TEMCo will donate the demo and cover the final cost of shipping it to its final location, TBD as of 1/7/19.
4. If the demo is lost or stolen, TEMCo will not cover a replacement.
5. Members of OPE will decide on the best means of shipping the unit to the next member, any rules regarding its demoing, etc.
6. Ideally, we'd like to see technical criticism of the actual unit from those demoing it. Perhaps we can start a new thread on the demo where people can ask direct questions to reviewers? What are the OPE Forum rules regarding something like this?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's kind of what I am getting at Kevin. Only real way to tell is to put the ground chain into wood and time cuts vs. a good, properly hand filed chain.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I will just have to do my own thing then.

That's kind of what I am getting at Kevin. Only real way to tell is to put the ground chain into wood and time cuts vs. a good, properly hand filed chain.
If you are not interested in reviewing it personally, send me a suitable chain, cover postage, and you can run your own cutting comparison, then post the results for other members to see.

(This offer is open to others following this thread as well.)

Philbert

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
If you are not interested in reviewing it personally, send me a suitable chain, cover postage, and you can run your own cutting comparison, then post the results for other members to see.

Philbert

Seems like a fair offer.

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This thread is probably not the best place to continue / re-hash the 'file-versus-grind' discussion / debate / argument. As Ryan suggests, there can be variation in the results with hand filing; I will add that there can also be considerable variation even when using various file guides, and even when grinding. In theory, a grinder, especially an automatic grinder, should create more consistent cutters. Whether or not these are better may be up to the individual user.

Lots of ways to sharpen, eveybody has to find something that works for them.

This product is a new way, in that it brings automatic grinding down to a very affordable level. Anxious to see how it works!

Philbert

Yeah I've seen that debate in this forum quite a bit. I'll bite:

1. Good tools don't always make up for incompetence.
2. Excellent skills don't always make up for crappy tools.

It's a balancing act. There are often times when a grinder would be useful, as @jakethesnake mentions:

Grinders are super great for a messed up chain. Or to true your angles up. Even if you’re a badass with a file

Could truing up angles be done manually? Sure. It's a pain in the ass, but sure it can be done well in the right hands. Is it easier with an affordable automatic grinder? Of course, especially when the dollars spent on an automatic grinder is less than the dollar cost of your time. More importantly, what's a couple of hundred dollars when that time spent could've been spent on invaluable things, like spending time with your kids or taking the pup out for a walk.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate all this Gun. Just going to matter on how the auto ground chain cuts.
That's all I am trying to get at. But I see this going down hill for me here.

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I appreciate all this Gun. Just going to matter on how the auto ground chain cuts.
That's all I am trying to get at. But I see this going down hill for me here.

Yup. That demo should be leaving us shortly.

Going down hill and into the weeds regarding the grinders vs hand grind debate?