Automatic Chain Sharpener - Under $300

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My intentions. Might be misconstrued from my original intentions. Through typed text.
But still for me, it comes down to how they both cut.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My intentions. Might be misconstrued from my original intentions. Through typed text.
But still for me, it comes down to how they both cut.
Hell Chevy any grinder can make a good tooth. You’d just have to press the right buttons on the machine there to see which it likes

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Going down hill and into the weeds regarding the grinders vs hand grind debate?

Yep.

No need to stir that up here.

Hundreds of pages on: 'file vs grind'; 'what type of 2-stroke oil'; 'STIHL vs Husqvarna'; 'grease / don't grease guide bar sprockets'; 'low kickback vs 'yellow' chain'; 'chain brakes and drop starting'; etc. Feel free to search and participate. You won't change a single mind. If you want to keep this thread on your sharpener, steer clear of it in these posts.

Philbert

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep.

No need to stir that up here.

Hundreds of pages on: 'file vs grind'; 'what type of 2-stroke oil'; 'STIHL vs Husqvarna'; 'grease / don't grease guide bar sprockets'; 'low kickback vs 'yellow' chain'; 'chain brakes and drop starting'; etc. Feel free to search and participate. You won't change a single mind. If you want to keep this thread on your sharpener, steer clear of it in these posts.

Philbert
What oil you use philbert

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Truthfully you would sell quite a few of these at this price if they hold up and make a good edge.
I will buy one if they do what is claimed just to get away from having to file long chains.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess "long" might be as subjective as oil and hand filing. I don't have a bar over 24" running <.063 because .050 doesn't last in our wood. Even if exclusively using Stihl chains that keeps it all .063 except steps just the drive tangs down to .050", they just don't hold up on 36/42" bars as well as .063. I wonder if redbull has done any testing to check if .050 doesn't run hotter than .063. I don't know if is it because .063 has better chip clearance or carrying more oil, or some other reason but the .050 chains will not handle the jandle. They'll be fine to start with but seem to fatigue and break easier after some use. For this reason and to KISS, I stick with .063 on everything now, even down as short as 18".

*editing to add* Does anyone know what a guy has to type for RI Chevy to NOT hit the like button? Thanks in advance ;-)

Last edited:

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I
I guess "long" might be as subjective as oil and hand filing. I don't have a bar over 24" running <.063 because .050 doesn't last in our wood. Even if exclusively using Stihl chains that keeps it all .063 except steps just the drive tangs down to .050", they just don't hold up on 36/42" bars as well as .063. I wonder if redbull has done any testing to check if .050 doesn't run hotter than .063. I don't know if is it because .63 has better chip clearance or carrying more oil, or some other reason but the .050 chains will not handle the jandle. They'll be fine to start with but seem to fatigue and break easier after some use. For this reason and to KISS, I stick with .063 on everything now, even down as short as 18".

*editing to add* Does anyone know what a guy has to type for RI Chevy to NOT hit the like button? Thanks in advance ;-)
I am sure it is subjective, i don't look forward to filing 28+ inch bars.
That's the ones I was thinking of.

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Truthfully you would sell quite a few of these at this price if they hold up and make a good edge.
I will buy one if they do what is claimed just to get away from having to file long chains.

The demo shipped out today. Hopefully we get some OPE-member reviews out soon!

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are not interested in reviewing it personally, send me a suitable chain, cover postage, and you can run your own cutting comparison, then post the results for other members to see.

(This offer is open to others following this thread as well.)

Philbert

He’s good at that too.

He did a .325” & 3/8” comparison just last week.

He might sometimes come off a bit flat-footed, but Jeffery is fair & balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
He’s good at that too.

It would be really interesting to see these sorts of comparisons if @Philbert is willing to do that. How do you guys ship the chains to make sure they don't get damaged during shipping? It's a fact that shipping services will literally toss packages in and out of trucks. I suppose a brief inspection would be required to make sure damage to cutters weren't made.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be really interesting to see these sorts of comparisons if @Philbert is willing to do that. How do you guys ship the chains to make sure they don't get damaged during shipping? It's a fact that shipping services will literally toss packages in and out of trucks. I suppose a brief inspection would be required to make sure damage to cutters weren't made.

I just put them in a ziplock bag along with some padding & all of that goes in a box.

@RI Chevy,

Jeffus,
Light is shining on more of Your skills.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you guys ship the chains to make sure they don't get damaged during shipping?
Ziplock bag in a padded envelope works. More than one, it is cheaper to use USPS flat rate boxes.

Chains rattle around in OEM packages, but not if wrapped up, even in a piece of newspaper or paper towel.

Fold up the OEM box and pack that in flat if recipient wants it.

Philbert

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He’s good at that too.

Thank you sir.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just put them in a ziplock bag along with some padding & all of that goes in a box.

@RI Chevy,

Jeffus,
Light is shining on more of Your skills.

Yessir.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quick update for folks following this thread, and a few technical questions for @GunTemco.

Was notified that the sharpener was shipped and is scheduled to arrive early next week. I will try to post some initial impressions shortly after that, in a new thread, linked to this one.

Gun, will the unit sharpen 1/4" pitch chain?

Is it capable of sharpening 'full house' chain (no tie strap spaces between R and L cutters). This is a specialty chain used by chainsaw carvers (e.g. Oregon 25F 'Sculptor'), and a few others, and the question was raised by @Wilhelm in another thread.

Screen shot 2019-01-10 at 2.34.13 PM.png
Full house chain is usually available in 1/4" pitch only, here in the US, but I have seen it offered in 3/8 low profile in other countries. And then there are the 'special cases' on forums like this that have them specially made (!).

Philbert

Last edited: