Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Steve.
The 2nd cut definitely looked better. Bottom of the gullet.
How do this auto sharpener compare to your hand file? As far as cutting speed/ability and overall sharpness?

My hand filing is spotty at best, it won't beat my best, and will whoop the heck out of my worst.
It also is not like other grinders it makes a bit of a beak out of the top of the cutter which I couldn't recreate with a hand operated grinder. Difference in how the wheel is 90° relative to the downward motion.
Which is a good thing, as I have always liked this profile on new loops of chain. Now I have the ability to make it like they do.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. Very true Steve.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for posting the comments and photos. How many loops did you grind with it?

How does it compare to your other grinders?

Philbert

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for posting the comments and photos. How many loops did you grind with it?

How does it compare to your other grinders?

Philbert

I don't think the grinders are comparable in the sense that they are so different from each other. What one excels at the other does not. Other than they both sharpen chains is the only thing they have in common, which they both do well at what they are intended for.
I've only made a dozen or so passes with the Temco for trial purposes with the worst chains I could find. The CBN wheels really do the job when they hit the odd tooth that is left long from repeated on the job hand filings. Will be seeing mostly if not all 3/8" chain as well so not a lot of diverse usage either.
All I can say for sure is when there is a pile of chain to do, the Temco is going to be welcomed.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rock and rolled 27 chains through the Temco today. Other than finding that there were slight angle and centering issues that needed addressed, all went well. Ended up just dead reckoning until the teeth were equal from side to side and the angles matched the witness marks.
IMG_20190612_213258522.jpg

Ended up making a spark house of sorts to keep the spray off of me while using the other grinders one for rakers and did a few 3/8 LP on the other while the Temco was running.
IMG_20190613_124556780.jpg

Did I get it dirty enough for you? @Philbert

IMG_20190613_184214626.jpg

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the review.
Cutter pics would help us round filers that are better at grinding down a chain than sharpening one up.
I use rims and large brake discs for stand bases too.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seen a Spam can used as a key holder on a tractor.
Ammo cans for bigger stuff.

Having a spot for the brass weight should make it findable when needed in theory anyways.

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
@Stump Shot thank you so much for posting your genuine user experience with the FP1000. I've already forwarded this as mandatory reading for our engineers on the product. I will be sure to follow up with them on what their thoughts are regarding all of the issues you've experienced. Rest assured your input is being carefully looked into!

I'm also really glad you like the CBN wheels. We spent a great deal of time getting them right.

Thank you so much for this. We'll do out best to improve!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see the eBay listing has been changed to $599.00.
Saw that.

Looks that that price includes the better, CBN wheels (about a $105 upgrade, using TEMCo list prices).

Screen shot 2019-07-02 at 11.28.42 AM.png

Gun said that $300 was an introductory price from the beginning! Current price is the same as on Amazon, and more in line with what the Timber Tuff version sells for (about $450 with the standard wheels 'Usually ships within 1 to 3 months' (?)) on Amazon and a local retail outlet

Philbert

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Philbert's correct: The price we had before was an introductory price, and something I made sure was clear at the beginning of this thread as to avoid any misconceptions. The reason we had it at a low price was to allow us to interact with our customers and to make some progress on the FP1000. We felt one of the easiest solutions was to simply include the CBN wheels with the FP1000 in order to avoid some of the issues we were seeing with the grinds that were being produced (this happened when users took too big of a dig on their grinds, thereby warping their grinding wheels). After all, if the wheel produces a poor grind, there's no point talking about anything else. we also felt it was about time we brought this up to about where we'd like to sell the FP1000 at, so adding the entire line of CBN wheels was a good way for us to make it a bit more appealing to customers like @MarkEagleUSA who might have noticed the price increase. As we make changes, this price might also be subject to change.

As much as we'd like to have sold it at the low price, in order for us to continue to do what we're doing, we have to make a buck too. Please note that we use some pretty sharp pencils to make sure our customers get the most out of their money without sacrificing the quality of the product, while at the same time we have to be able to pay for our employees and their families and also keep the lights on.

Thanks for your understanding.