I must have missed it's history.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whatever happened with the unit that was being shipped around for testing?
Philbert has it.

It made no sense for members to pay shipping both ways to try it, when they could order one from TEMCo, keep it for a year, and return it for a full refund with free shipping both ways.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Philbert has it.

It made no sense for members to pay shipping both ways to try it, when they could order one from TEMCo, keep it for a year, and return it for a full refund with free shipping both ways.

Philbert
Cool!
Thank You for the info.

My apologies if I came over nosy, I was just curious.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I called up TeMCo today finally,(time difference and mid day memory lapse is my excuse) and the fella I talked with on the phone said they are no longer selling the sharpener. I asked if they made it or imported it and he replied that it was imported and the circuitry boards were altered by Temco. I asked if they would be selling any more CBN wheels to which he said "No" to. I asked if they made or someone else made the wheels, he said someone else did on their design. I asked if their info could be given to me to see if I could get them to male/sell more wheels, to which he said it was their design and no more wheels will be made under their design. I asked if other units out there were the same unit, he replied that they were similar in that they didn't have their alterations in them. I asked one more thing and that was what led them to this outcome was it the Corona.. etc. and so on, and no it was that they couldn't get it marketed properly and abandoned the project.
Which in turn, my blood pressure raised, I couldn't really think of anything else to ask other than if he would like to add anything else that I hadn't asked, to which he did not. Which effectively ended the conversation.
So... can't really say I'm a happy camper about all of this mess, I now have a machine with no support and unknown expiration date as to how much longer I can keep grinding with that one CBN wheel. I do between 20 to 40 24" chains at a crack taking 4 to 6 laps a chain to straighten out and sharpen. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this can only be kept up for so long.
I also see that @Gun Temco hasn't come around and that's pretty much the vibe I got from the rep on the telephone today total lack of giving two *s-words about it. I guess I shouldn't any longer either, this is my last post about it.

@Philbert TeMCo had officially jumped the shark.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TeMCo had officially jumped the shark.

Thank you for your diligence in following up on this, and for sharing the information. There are other companies selling a 'very similar looking' product, but the CBN wheels were an important part. Perhaps someone else will pick it up, and address the issues raised here; free R&D in my opinion. The idea of an automatic, compact, chain sharpening machine is very attractive; their price point made it even more so.

There are firms that re-plate CBN wheels, which might be an option for you when you get to that point. They might be able to make additional ones based on your used one too.

Philbert

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I asked if they would be selling any more CBN wheels to which he said "No" to. I asked if they made or someone else made the wheels, he said someone else did on their design.
I'm sure you guys have already thought of this or it might have been mentioned before. But to me those wheels look like they are made by Diamond Wheel inc. Have you checked with them directly?

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry guys only read part of this thread.

The small wheel on this grinder looked lacking anyway.

My question is has anyone started making a Silvey 510 clone?

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The following comments were made in regard to my "modifications" of an unbranded grinder I have set up specifically for lowering the depth gauges. As you can see in the photo, I added some weights to the handle to pull it down and hopefully maintain a more consistent depth setting that simply pulling it down to the stop.

"I don't really know how much variation there could be due to the flex after you hit the stop, but I am guessing it could be 0.010" or more depending on how hard you push on it. I wanted a way to keep the depth gauges more consistent and the weighted handle seemed like an easy way to do it. I had thought about trying to rig a more substantial stop further from the pivot to reduce the flex in the unit and I still might try something like that but for now, the weights are working as long as I don't accidentally drop it."

20210804_183308.jpg

Mark

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The following comments were made in regard to my "modifications" of an unbranded grinder I have set up specifically for lowering the depth gauges. As you can see in the photo, I added some weights to the handle to pull it down and hopefully maintain a more consistent depth setting that simply pulling it down to the stop.

*For context, @heimannm 's post, above, on a different style of grinder, relates to issues I noted with the gravity-fed grinding wheel design of the TEMCo FP1000 in Posts #139, and #180 of this thread, and some discussions in a different thread.

Philbert