2511t: Four years on the truck

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s some discussion of the 2511t I’ve been using at work for the last 4 years. I did minimal mods to it before putting it into service. Hopefully it gives people an idea of how these saws hold up over time.

Fair warning, there aren’t going to be many pretty pictures in this thread. Lots of chainsaw funk.
I’ve stripped this saw down to the block about once per year and cleaned it.

IMG_0959.jpeg
Obviously it needs it again.
IMG_0962.jpeg
That’s probably the 4th or 5th tank vent and this one is shot. I wish they lasted longer.
IMG_0967.jpeg

Same deal on the caps. That’s at least the third pair. I have had the oil cap pop off in the tree many times. The keeper gets into the threads easily and gets cut. This oil cap is leaking.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clutch side:
IMG_0961.jpeg
Although this clutch is useable the guide tabs on the back of the shoes are breaking. Two more fell off after this photo. I blame this on using an impact driver to remove and install.
IMG_0965.jpeg
Oiler gear is still working, but it’s pretty rashed up. It’s original.

Oiler and lines aren’t notably degraded.IMG_0982.jpeg
Rear AV looks good on this saw but I have seen plenty of others where the spring is bent and plastics worn away.IMG_0983.jpeg
1/4” clutch drum and muffler mod that I installed when I bought the saw.
IMG_0981.jpeg

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carb box:
Rubber bits all fine, original primer bulb is fine. Lanyard ring undamaged.
IMG_0985.jpeg

Definitely some fines in the original modded filter. I guess I forgot to grease the ring last time.IMG_0966.jpeg
Original carb and spark plug still functional. Carb performance seems to be headed down hill.IMG_0989.jpeg
Rear plastics are fine. Considering I drag them over limbs every day, I’m impressed. I’ve seen a few spark covers in worse shape.
IMG_0991.jpeg

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Outer stuff:

Spike mounts aren’t cracked.
IMG_0987.jpeg

This is my third muffler cover. I’ve replaced 5 on my co-workers saw in a shorter period. YMMV.IMG_0992.jpeg
I’ve also had to replace my fuel line cover and this second one is a little loose. The pull start has had both springs replaced.IMG_0996.jpeg
I also stripped one of the threaded inserts for the pull start. Don’t be ham fisted with the impact, like me.IMG_0994.jpeg
Bottom of the tank looks pretty good, considering.IMG_0998.jpeg

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Engine:

I bought this saw on a Sunday and needed it Monday. I widened the exhaust and deleted the gasket. Also did a muffler mod and carb delimit. It’s been working ever since.

This is about 8 months of gunk in the fins. I think cleaning the fins from time to time is almost as important as good fuel or a clean air filter.IMG_0971.jpeg

Exhaust port has some carbon, but not bad. 50:1 RA 87noE for its whole life.
IMG_0976.jpeg

The 1184 I used for the delete is now just black flakes. I didn’t pressure test before teardown, but this saw was fully functional. IMG_0973.jpeg
Piston has a tiny streak on the exhaust side, doesn’t look worn on the intake skirt. I forgot I roughly modded the case on this one.
IMG_0972.jpeg
This jug could go back to work.
IMG_0974.jpeg

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m putting a new experimental block in. I’m tired of having a quasi-ported saw and selling all the strong ones.

No doubt, my recipe has evolved. I’m not sure how I’ll like this one.
IMG_0952.jpegIMG_0949.jpeg
IMG_0999.jpeg
Freshy! 🤞🏼

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice thread. Thanks for posting. Good to see how one is holding up after that amount of time. I think they’re pretty strong wee saws apart from some plastic parts.

I have a lot out there that I’ve ported and I’ve never had one back. I think for the money, weight and power you can get out them there’s no reason to be climbing with anything else.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found a couple more things on reassembly:

Both coil insulators are cracked. Probably more impact damage.IMG_1001.jpeg

This is the clutch drum without any cleaning. IMG_1002.jpeg

The ground wire to the coil is worn through up by the tank plug.IMG_0984.jpeg

The starter was missing on two of the four teeth. I want an easy starting saw. I replaced the gear with a newer one off a carcass. Hard to see the difference but you feel it when you’re pulling.
IMG_1004.jpeg

And, of course, the chain is super dull. 🤦‍♂️

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find those coil insulators can crack on reassembly very easily. Could’ve happened when you put it back together years ago.

I think the wee saws done well for the time. How you feeling about it?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find those coil insulators can crack on reassembly very easily. Could’ve happened when you put it back together years ago.

I think the wee saws done well for the time. How you feeling about it?
I think your right. These little guys are a dream to work on and almost designed for an impact driver, but there’s a lot of plastic that can get stripped or crushed. Almost all the damage in this saw is from me going hard with the rattle gun. The clutch, the thrashed flywheel (maybe), the stripped starter screw, the crushed insulators, maybe others. The starter, the wire, the worm gear and the caps are just wear items.

I love this saw. It’s like an extension of my hand. Not only is it surprisingly powerful, but it’s just a great tool. Excellent ergonomics and fine tooth precision, with 1/4” chain of course. This saw has cut thousands of trees. It paid for itself in the first week. And it’s light! I can’t believe I trimmed trees for 6 years with a 201!

As far as the new port job, it was a low bar to beat so it’s definitely better. It’s a wee saw with a wee bit of freeport now. Not sure if that will effect performance. I got it roughly tuned in and noodled some firewood, but the chain needs sharpened. I’ll have a lot better idea after tomorrow. Large willow prune. With a fresh sharpen it should float through willow.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This thread needs to be pinned. Great one ketchup. You were early in responding when I reached out about these. As a beginner climber, well, there is no other saw. Mines ported by @Mastermind. It's an ignorant little biotch. Also with the 1/4 chain, 14" modified light 01 stihl bar. And the modifications are easy to make the stihl bar fit. The 1/4 chain is so forgiving you can knock the rakers down pretty aggressively and throw some chips. My coworker is an experienced climber. He bought one and I swapped him out to the red mesh air filter, popped a hole in the muffler, and advanced the timing and I was blown away. I fuggin love these little rippers. 20230513_115309.jpg

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind. Randy, is there a good place/desire to pin this thread? It's wonderful for us climbers/2511t (future) owners.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a couple of 2511T's on the bench today, one didn't need anything but the other was leaking at the cylinder/base as well as the crankcase itself. I was able to get both the cylinder and crankcase sealed using Dirko HT.

I was curious about this removable bit in the transfers. Slips right in there and the saw was running fine (eventually) once I got it back together. It did not appear to be broken, actually looked like it's designed that way.

20230718_143841.jpg

I'm not sure who did the port work or muffler mods on these two but they are snappy.

Can anyone explain how to access the fuel lines? They didn't need anything now but I expect one day it will be necessary to replace them.

Mark