Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw racers like the more used chains. They weigh less (!). They have larger gullets for chip clearance. The depth gauges usually need to be set deeper than the standard 0.025”- this is where ‘progressive’ depth gauge tools come in.

Philbert
They also make a much narrower kerf, as such lesser material is removed, the chain has less resistance and can maintain higher in cut speed driven with the same PH.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a mixture of all three, and several sizes on hand between 1/4", 3/8"lp, .325", 3/8" and .404". My 28" and shorter loops are all full comp. For my 36" 3/8 bar for my 660, I have full-comp, semi-skip, and skip. I lie semi the best, as it's the best compromise between smooth cutting, low grabbiness w/smaller stuff, and good chip clearance. The full-skip is reserved for softwoods, where the chips tend to be large, and other chains stall in the cut. For really nasty jobs, I have a 32" .404 bar for the 660, and it's for stumping big uglies.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm using chain from 3/8 lp through 404 in all sequences, cutter types and trying a few I can not buy off the shelf. Felling big stuff, bucking and milling up to 60" bars but using 40-42" bars when possible. Square keeps coming up on top most times. Full comp always cuts the smoothest if you can pull it all. Pulling 123dl of 68lx is no harder than pulling 16H full skip. The chains are not even close in design but one will cut nails pretty damn good. They do have completely different sequences and cut speeds. Most of my cutters are 15 or 20 degrees on my chains now days. Plenty of regular chains also. I find it more interesting how slow round ground or filed chain can be in regular 3/8 chisel cutters vs converted or off the roll square. If you have shallow side plate angles with round chain and little hook it won't mill. Tried that with square filed and the depth gauges set near thirty five were just horrible. Wanted to just stall full skip. Things change when going from round to square. The rules change and that I didn't see coming on a mill. Got my forward bite back real fast :)

:icon_popcorn:

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I literally order everything now , mostly from guys here. Unless it's homeowners stuff or full comp round file there's nothing around me in South Carolina.
I agree with this statement. I live in Northern South Carolina and half the time they don’t carry nothing you have to order everything in. Or find it on the Internet.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get most of my new stuff from the internet .What Stihl chains I have are salvaged from my tree trimmer buddies bucket truck tool bins after they wreck them .I have the tie straps etc and a spinner .The only ones I buy from a dealer are the lo pro 3/8" for my 200T's Those are rapid super ,chisel chain . I really should take a day to repair chains because I have at least a dozen or more that need attention hanging on nails

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get most of my new stuff from the internet .What Stihl chains I have are salvaged from my tree trimmer buddies bucket truck tool bins after they wreck them .I have the tie straps etc and a spinner .The only ones I buy from a dealer are the lo pro 3/8" for my 200T's Those are rapid super ,chisel chain . I really should take a day to repair chains because I have at least a dozen or more that need attention hanging on nails

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It also makes me sad when you go to A dealer and you know more than they do. And they have to look it up or you have to help them to get a price on something. Here in South Carolina all my local deals do not carry skip sequence. And the mechanics I can care less for. Now said that not all mechanic so bad I do no good one up in New York or two.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It also makes me sad when you go to A dealer and you know more than they do. And they have to look it up or you have to help them to get a price on something. Here in South Carolina all my local deals do not carry skip sequence. And the mechanics I can care less for. Now said that not all mechanic so bad I do no good one up in New York or two.

Im pretty fortunate that the dealership down the road from me has been there for 40+years, very knowledgeable people but not always on top of the new stuff and really can't justify carrying alot of what's available.

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I will totally agree with you every area has a different supply and demand and some dealers do not need to carry all sorts of stuff.
I went looking for the filter upgrade for my 562 because I noticed I had small particles getting by the air filter. Granite it’s no understandably that one deal I went into and had no idea what I was talking about.
Maybe I’m wrong for thinking this way . upgrade for Saw an air filter you would kind of think that they would know about the stuff .maybe I’m being too hard on myself .
But I will say I do like a skip sequence I run it on my 32 inch bar by 36 inch bar and I even run it on my 572 with a 28 inch bar I like the way it cuts in Pine now that softwood understandably.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I will totally agree with you every area has a different supply and demand and some dealers do not need to carry all sorts of stuff.
I went looking for the filter upgrade for my 562 because I noticed I had small particles getting by the air filter. Granite it’s no understandably that one deal I went into and had no idea what I was talking about.
Maybe I’m wrong for thinking this way . upgrade for Saw an air filter you would kind of think that they would know about the stuff .maybe I’m being too hard on myself .
But I will say I do like a skip sequence I run it on my 32 inch bar by 36 inch bar and I even run it on my 572 with a 28 inch bar I like the way it cuts in Pine now that softwood understandably.

I’d bet you’re missing out on a little speed and smoothness running full skip vs semi or full comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d bet you’re missing out on a little speed and smoothness running full skip vs semi or full comp.

You definitely loose a little cut speed with the full skip .
I used to do most if not all my felling with a 24" on a Pro Mac 700 which is very happy with full comp but the loblolly pine down here in the spring dont just flow sap ,they pore sap! Some look like a honey jar was hidden behid the bark ,it'll literally sling off the chain with a healthy tree. This is bog city for a 70cc saw, chips start piling up on the front of the oil tank like brick mortar . Full skip or .404 helps keep the kerf clear and the bar rails clear in my experience. I even run .404 full skip semi chisel on my 100cc homelite for stumps where the sap will pool up in the bottom of the tree that later becomes the "fat wood".

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You definitely loose a little cut speed with the full skip .
I used to do most if not all my felling with a 24" on a Pro Mac 700 which is very happy with full comp but the loblolly pine down here in the spring dont just flow sap ,they pore sap! Some look like a honey jar was hidden behid the bark ,it'll literally sling off the chain with a healthy tree. This is bog city for a 70cc saw, chips start piling up on the front of the oil tank like brick mortar . Full skip or .404 helps keep the kerf clear and the bar rails clear in my experience. I even run .404 full skip semi chisel on my 100cc homelite for stumps where the sap will pool up in the bottom of the tree that later becomes the "fat wood".

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was remembering something I read a while back about how using full comp in large diameter wood slows down due to chips clogging the chain.
Is there any truth to this?
I use skip on all my bars 28” and up only because its just that many cutters less to sharpen. But I always wondered if a 28” bar buried in wood would cut faster with full comp or skip, given the saw has enough power to run both at the same speed.

thx
Milling with 36" bar is about the place I switch from semi skip to full skip. A 5 foot bar milling a maple went very well with square chisel skip 661c ported. Chips got as much as 11 feet from exit lol

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just food for thought. I took my 572 out .28 inch bar full skip. And try to bury it into the wood and Stall it. And it would not do it. And plus when you’re trying to square file it’s a lot simplerAnd we all know why less teeth
And yes it’s possible I am losing a couple seconds but let’s just put a stop watch away for a little bit and think about the benefits sometime and I will never claim I know it all. Because I do not

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just food for thought. I took my 572 out .28 inch bar full skip. And try to bury it into the wood and Stall it. And it would not do it. And plus when you’re trying to square file it’s a lot simplerAnd we all know why less teeth
And yes it’s possible I am losing a couple seconds but let’s just put a stop watch away for a little bit and think about the benefits sometime and I will never claim I know it all. Because I do not

Even falling timber up to a 32 depending on the saw I’ll run full comp, 32-42 it’s semi skip and full skip for 60” bars unless it’s on the mill then it’s full comp.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think its more timber specific than the saw or operator sometimes.
If your heavy handed the full skip is definitely more forgiving, just like a professional timber feller/lumberjack certainly can finesse a pretty long bar full comp alot better than most of us.
I do know that the timber pines are alot softer than the pin oak and Hickory trees that I run into , I know when the sap isn't running in the big loblolly pine I feel like a real hero dropping 120'and 25" DBH with my 036 super and a 25" bar, but that set up ain't gonna fly in the hard wood without some finesse and patience.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i run semi skip on my 32" bar it still cuts big wood just fine and has a little extra chip clearing space and it doesnt take as long to sharpen. i ran semi or full skip on my 36" bars the saw cut a little better with full skip in big wood i tried full comp on the 36 and it was slower because it took more power to pull it and it seemed like it took forever to grind at the end of the day

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i run semi skip on my 32" bar it still cuts big wood just fine and has a little extra chip clearing space and it doesnt take as long to sharpen. i ran semi or full skip on my 36" bars the saw cut a little better with full skip in big wood i tried full comp on the 36 and it was slower because it took more power to pull it and it seemed like it took forever to grind at the end of the day
I agree with you gone for skip and semi skip it seems like it cuts faster because it keeps the RPMs up. Are is good chip clearing. Sometimes it may be a little rougher in Wood like Oak but I don’t mind.