7 vs 8 pin skip vs full

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Say a feller has a good running 70-80cc saw. Cutting hardwoods. Running 28” bar. In terms of cutting speed. Would he be better off running a:
1.skip chain with an 8 pin rim
2. Skip chain with a 7 pin rim
3. Full comp chain with 7 pin rim
4. Full comp chain with 8 pin rim
And when I say good running saw I mean a machined and ported saw. Running 3/8” pitch .050 gauge. Any and all input appreciated

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just cause you can run a 8 tooth doesn't mean you should.

The 8 tooth is going to put more stress on the clutch, crank and bearings.

I'm far from a pro and I don't get much seat time behind a chainsaw. Take it for what it's worth. More or less making an observation to add to the discussion.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Skip is always slower on shorter bars. It’s easier to sharpen by 2/3, but the chain also goes dull exactly that much quicker. Unless you’re attracted to hitting rocks, in which that case skip would be better.

If you’re just bucking/down cutting, an 8 is faster on bigger saws or shorter bars. If you need torque and forgiveness to get through pinch/compression situations, a 7 is better

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.325 will add more cutters the linear length of the bar..

…and they are smaller and easier to pull, so theoretically faster until chips become a problem depending on the wood, and they dull a little faster, especially if ground to fast angles. 23rspro.

Purty sure I have run .325” 24”, I know I have run 3/8”lp, but none of the smaller pitches in 28”. Green wood here chokes them, and dry wood dulls them.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My case, Turkey oak and often 24+" OD, 73-79cc, 24" B&C, round ground.
7 pin and full chisel full skip hands down.

I imagine even more so utilizing B&C setups over 24", though I can not comment on that as getting full skip is nearly impossible for me so I run full comp on 10 through 36".
I do my own hillbilly skip mod to the 36"/115DL loop though.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock, then new Dolmar PS-9010, no MM, not broken in, tuned quite rich.
I was stuck with the 23" hard nose bar she came with due to the OEM 14mm studs.
Went to my Stihl dealer and set her up with .325" & 3/8" just for the fun of it.

.325" , brand new Stihl RS , 9 pin

3/8" , brand new Stihl RS , 8 pin

My PS-9010 settled since then.
She got a MM & tune up, modded studs, full wrap - still prefers a 7 pin in hardwoods.
She'll pull my 36" B&C setup all day long, even the spare full comp loop - though the main hillbilly skip loop runs smoother.

Last edited:

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In hardwood, like dead ash, I've found 7 pin with skip to work the best for me.
With the dead ash around here, I run 7 pin full comp with the rakers around 0.035” below the cutters. If I want to go faster then I run a square chain with the rakers at 0.040”. I tried some skip on my 36” setup and it didn’t seem to offer anything better than full comp, so I don’t see the point….at least for the saws I have.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With the dead ash around here, I run 7 pin full comp with the rakers around 0.035” below the cutters. If I want to go faster then I run a square chain with the rakers at 0.040”. I tried some skip on my 36” setup and it didn’t seem to offer anything better than full comp, so I don’t see the point….at least for the saws I have.

I do alot of noodling to save my back, and I've found the skip to out-cut the full comp in that situation. I should have mentioned that in my post.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would definitely go 7 full
Here is a video from Julian:
I had forgotten all his testing. 8 pin doesn’t add as much as one would think. Especially on some longer bar tests he did IIRC. It does reduce dogging forgiveness. For felling I like skip 7 pin.

I was recently cutting in a west coast situ and wood…fibrous. The square skip and 8 pins they run work well in it. Severing and clearing chips is the need.