User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well somebody got their money's worth out of that 420.

So what happens to the 800 now?

That 420 was a 2017 saw! Looks like it hung a lower ring and snapped the land, destroying the upper ring and top of piston. Cyl might actually be salvageable; too bad the rod rocks back and forth on the crank like a bassinet.

I bit the bullet and ordered a new piston and rings for the 800. Only thing i haven’t swapped out yet! Traded out carb, coil, everything in between! My gauge says it pulled 168ish for compression but i’m not sure if its accurate or not.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That 420 was a 2017 saw! Looks like it hung a lower ring and snapped the land, destroying the upper ring and top of piston. Cyl might actually be salvageable; too bad the rod rocks back and forth on the crank like a bassinet.

I bit the bullet and ordered a new piston and rings for the 800. Only thing i haven’t swapped out yet! Traded out carb, coil, everything in between! My gauge says it pulled 168ish for compression but i’m not sure if its accurate or not.

I guess it didnt have an AF? 100:1 mix?

Did you try the gauge on a running saw?

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It held over 4lbs vacuum for almost an hour with a brandy-new MityVac, so I am confident there is no airleaks. I tried the compression tester on the 026 Doc molested and it said it had 90psi (I know THAT ain’t right) so I don’t trust it.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It held over 4lbs vacuum for almost an hour with a brandy-new MityVac, so I am confident there is no airleaks. I tried the compression tester on the 026 Doc molested and it said it had 90psi (I know THAT ain’t right) so I don’t trust it.

Well then you might just have it beat with a new piston and rings then.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have had several contractors tell me that if a concrete saw lasts more than six months it is a very good one.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well then you might just have it beat with a new piston and rings then.

If not, then I’m handing it over. The last thing I want to do is start throwing good money (in parts) at a problem. I have a lot of pride and confidence in my work and abilities; but at some point you have to walk away. I told him right from the start that if I couldn’t get it fixed I wouldn’t charge him (basically the same I tell everyone when i work on something for them), at this point I am so far under on it there is no point in delaying the inevitable. I don’t like it, but it is reality.

Ya win some, ya lose some. It is what it is.