Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar PS-7310, finally getting a muffler mod.
DSC07463.JPG
Maybe I'll also replace the torn rubber AV mount on my Sachs-Dolmar 108, depends on whether I feel like messing with another saw today.

PS-7310's piston looks OK, but she could use a new one. Waiting on HLSuplly to put them on sale! ;)
DSC07493.JPG

I've split/uncrimped the muffler cold and cut the pipe off.
DSC07471.JPG DSC07472.JPG
DSC07483.JPG

Working on the outlet now, will keep the ability to use the stock spark screen, lots of surface underneath it for a huge hole!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job. They look like a lot of work to mod.
Not really, uncrimping cold is a bit of work, everything else is very straight forward - especially if You're gonna completely remove the innards.

Keeping the factory deflector and spark screen intact also helps reducing the amount of work these mufflers need.

The non-SLR muffler is easier to mod, but I think the SLR muffler will allow for a larger outlet hole due to more surface under the screen/deflector.

I've done two non-SLR mufflers and this is my first SLR muffler.

Today is a big holiday, thus sound check will be tomorrow! :)

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Cleaning 357 parts
6163a9f711e79ed419929f254a95e817.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

What model cleaner is that? Will a case half fit? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really, uncrimping cold is a bit of work, everything else is very straight forward

In other words Jeff … YES!!!
Guess there is no chance of a nice MS460 crank coming out of any of this as we spoke of before tax season :cop:

I did not forget, but I'm not super good at determining what is good and what is not. I do keep getting more of this stuff, seems to be the most commonly used pro saw locally. Started with 3 046s, then got 2 460s, then 2 more (a 046 and 460). But I have to determine what cases + cranks are good. I want to end up with a few good ones, and will be happy to move the rest.

Easy to spot some bad ones, but a few I'm not sure of, and I don't want to give anyone junk.

With all the storm damage we had around here (3 tornados), this project has been delayed. I'm sure I could still be cutting full time every day if I wanted to. The local tree guys are backed up for months.

What triggered this recent action was the guy asking me to fix his saw, then me ending up with a 046 D jug!

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought this 359 off of here a while back.It showed up not exactly as advertised. Any way neither here nor there. I've just about got it into shape. It was leaking around intake so this is what I done to stop it. Gonna run it some today if the rain holds off. Is this an acceptable repair?
f50896ed04fcfc03beba2486a09d7cd7.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Best fix I've found for those clamps is to just shave off the tabs from the original one and use a CV boot clamp. I've done several and all have held just fine. DDave even sells the crimpers but diagonal cutters also work great. I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay $11.00 or so for another of Husky's 'upgrade kits' with their POS metal clamp and replacement bulkhead. I've been through three of those and only one of the clamps actually snapped together..., sloppily at that. The other two deformed just trying to squeeze them together.

You can get these CV boot clamps at NAPA for $1.50 (or any auto parts store). The NAPA number is 6865833 and ya can get a whole box of em for the price of Husky's 'upgrade' kit. Only downside is when they're on, they're on. You need to cut them off at the crimp if replacing the cylinder. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CTD6865833 (Tip courtesy of @Termitebuffet from a few years back.)

357xp Intakes.jpg

1031151406_resized.jpg

357xp Metal Clamp.jpg

Last edited:

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best fix I've found for those clamps is to just shave off the tabs from the original one and use a CV boot clamp. I've done several and all have held just fine. DDave even sells the crimpers but diagonal cutters also work great. I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay $11.00 or so for another of Husky's 'upgrade kist' with their POS metal clamp and replacement bulkhead. I've been through three of those and only one of the clamps actually snapped together..., sloppily at that. The other two deformed just trying to squeeze them together.

You can get these CV boot clamps at NAPA for $1.50 (or any auto parts store). The NAPA number is 6865833 and ya can get a whole box of em for the price of Husky's 'upgrade' kit. Only downside is when they're on, they're on. You need to cut them off at the crimp if replacing the cylinder. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CTD6865833 (Tip courtesy of @Termitebuffet from a few years back.)

That's basically all I done. I trimmed the rest of the old clamp off with a pair of dykes. I use those clamps all day long at work so I've got thousands at my disposal. I've got one off an old stihl somewhere I kinda forgot about. I figure I'm gonna run it as is until something else gives me trouble.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Made alittle road trip to pick up a saw and do some fishing yesterday evening. Found a homeowner owned OE 346xp. Said he bought a 465 and hadnt used it in over a year so it was time to go. Started up in 3 pulls and restarted in 1. Good enough for me to bring back. Now to check over before moving it to next owner. :p

h346oe.jpg h3460ee.jpg h346oeee.jpg h346oeeee.jpg

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got my 041 FB back from the powder coater yesterday...... There isn’t a single bit of the case that isn’t coated. Literally. Even the inside of the oil pump housing. I was furious! I asked him why it was taped off as instructed: “Well, you see, I couldn’t remember what wasn’t supposed to coated after I sand blasted it. So, just to be safe I coated it all.”

Are you kidding me?!?!? How the hell am I supposed to remove the coating to assemble it??????

At least he used the correct colors.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got my 041 FB back from the powder coater yesterday...... There isn’t a single bit of the case that isn’t coated. Literally. Even the inside of the oil pump housing. I was furious! I asked him why it was taped off as instructed: “Well, you see, I couldn’t remember what wasn’t supposed to coated after I sand blasted it. So, just to be safe I coated it all.”

Are you kidding me?!?!? How the hell am I supposed to remove the coating to assemble it??????

Bearing pockets and case mating surface too?

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Some carefully placed paint stripper will help .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Work in progress.
DSC07553.JPG
I've been wanting to permanently mount my tach on a AF cover for convenience of easy swapping between my large Dolmar's.
Today I finally decided I'll get the idea executed.

It won't be all too pretty, but I am aiming for functionality anyway!