dilligaf
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why?[emoji13]
Exactly!!

Old co-worker borrowed it from a friend. Ran for a few minutes then he couldn't get it started. I know it has good spark. Other than that, the fuel line is showing cracks just under the carb, so I'll start there. Diaphragms look fine and inside was decent. Had good compression when I pulled it a few times, but I didn't try starting.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir! That what i was expecting to see on my gauge till it made a sissy out of me:D after a lil talk last night with @dustinwilt68 seems the 281’s had very small chambers and with no decomp it magnifies the suck. Gasket it is!

Good info. One other thing i can check is i know for a fact i changed the way i gap the coil. Always used a .030 business card for gapping. This time i used the freebee plastic card that come with HL orders. They measure .020. I Have read moving the coil closer can act like an advance? Just spitballin:shot:View attachment 318067

Disclaimer( this could be blasphemy)How hard is it to install a decomp on that model? That could be an option.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes agreed! Funny u mention the rope. I like to use new true blue on all the saws i build. Have a spool of 4.5. After testing i came to the conclusion that was not adequate enough for the bigger saw. HL got me again on their black friday sale. A spool of 5.5 is on the way
Does the thicker rope fit in the pulley?

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
16383805117358728106393493278455.jpg Well I'm guessing I officially qualify for old fart status..just finished sewing suspenders on my new jeans..can't stand buckle clasps. Actually been doin this for more than a decade..Yep Wednesday is complete, wool moccasin clad old fart is happy now.

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 318097 Well I'm guessing I officially qualify for old fart status..just finished sewing suspenders on my new jeans..can't stand buckle clasps. Actually been doin this for more than a decade..Yep Wednesday is complete, wool moccasin clad old fart is happy now.

Good idea! I hate those clasps myself..

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Disclaimer( this could be blasphemy)How hard is it to install a decomp on that model? That could be an option.
Not very, I may end up doing this on a buddy's saw. What I was told is you just drill a hole through the top of the cylinder, tap it, screw a decomp in and you're done.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir! That what i was expecting to see on my gauge till it made a sissy out of me:D after a lil talk last night with @dustinwilt68 seems the 281’s had very small chambers and with no decomp it magnifies the suck. Gasket it is!

Good info. One other thing i can check is i know for a fact i changed the way i gap the coil. Always used a .030 business card for gapping. This time i used the freebee plastic card that come with HL orders. They measure .020. I Have read moving the coil closer can act like an advance? Just spitballin:shot:View attachment 318067
181s had a real small chamber, maybe some very early 281s did too, but theres a noticeable difference in chamber size between the two. Seems like 281 cylinders have the boss cast in on pto side for a decomp. I added one to a 181 through the top into squish band. It works, but requires a hole in top cover.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a buddy give me an Echo blower on Sunday. "I ran it for an hour, then it died. I fired it back up, it ran for 5-10 minutes, then it died and it won't start up again." A brief once-over revealed a spotless spark screen, decent spark, and ~100lbs of compression. So, I'll price out a rebuild and let him know what it would cost and we'll see how things go from there.

Last edited:

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
3:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well there is no boss for one so id say not an option. But good thought that already crossed my mind.
Does the thicker rope fit in the pulley?
Yes it should. Prob what it needed in the first place. 4.5 is good for 50-70ish range. It didnt bury on the spool but u can tell it stacks on an angle and not up and down. 5.5 should be what would come on it im guessing.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
181s had a real small chamber, maybe some very early 281s did too, but theres a noticeable difference in chamber size between the two. Seems like 281 cylinders have the boss cast in on pto side for a decomp. I added one to a 181 through the top into squish band. It works, but requires a hole in top cover.
I think a bit of the hard starting on those saws is a relatively small starter pulley, just not as much leverage.
Another thing brought to my attn. last nite. Possibly a 181 cylinder on a 281. I got the 281 from a member here awhile back and it was a builder. Missing some things but a good foundation to start. Now if the cylinder had been changed IDK. It was just as filthy as the rest of the saw so i figured it was original but who knows. I have to pull it and take some pics for further investigation. First 28X series saw ive been in so still some things to learn.
#1 have someone else start it for ya:D

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing brought to my attn. last nite. Possibly a 181 cylinder on a 281. I got the 281 from a member here awhile back and it was a builder. Missing some things but a good foundation to start. Now if the cylinder had been changed IDK. It was just as filthy as the rest of the saw so i figured it was original but who knows. I have to pull it and take some pics for further investigation. First 28X series saw ive been in so still some things to learn.
#1 have someone else start it for ya:D
Also maybe get a mini D handle for it, that should help with pulling it over.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also maybe get a mini D handle for it, that should help with pulling it over.
Lol! U read my mind John! I got some mini ones from tractor supply a few years back and they seemed really nice! Wound up gifting them out before i got to use one on my own
saw:D
Like a hillbilly:xmas2: LMAO!
Any recommendations on handles?

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol! U read my mind John! I got some mini ones from tractor supply a few years back and they seemed really nice! Wound up gifting them out before i got to use one on my own
saw:D
Like a hillbilly:xmas2: LMAO!
Any recommendations on handles?
I got a couple Stihl branded D handles.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pics? I like the mini D handles but i dont want a giant one and make it look like a race saw:D
They ain't small...guess what saw I got it for?
a0c34fedb7ce003939364d9d0fcb2e29.jpg
23e8433c04981b76911486bf2e57d1c4.jpg