What's on your bench?

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
1:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not looking good for my ride. Got up to the body shop the other day and it got hit harder than I thought. Fender and hood got it pretty good and the mounts for the bumper support on the unibody got bent when the support was ripped off. This evening I returned the rental and picked up an 08 Ranger from mom and dad for the meantime. Also got the invoices for the transfer case and tires. Cleaned out my stuff from it too. The other person's insurance is looking at it Monday.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Can't like that......

It get hit hard enough to throw it out of alignment? I'd be inclined to roll the dice and buy it back from the insurance company if they total it out.

Steven

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't like that......

It get hit hard enough to throw it out of alignment? I'd be inclined to roll the dice and buy it back from the insurance company if they total it out.

Steven
Alignment is fine. Talked with the body shop owner and if I buy it back it's not worth it to fix it up and get a salvage title. All the rust would have to be fixed. It's served its purpose for 9 years for me. My mom drove it for a couple of years prior to that (she bought it used in 09). I'd probably put the money that they give me towards a newer one.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not looking good for my ride. Got up to the body shop the other day and it got hit harder than I thought. Fender and hood got it pretty good and the mounts for the bumper support on the unibody got bent when the support was ripped off. This evening I returned the rental and picked up an 08 Ranger from mom and dad for the meantime. Also got the invoices for the transfer case and tires. Cleaned out my stuff from it too. The other person's insurance is looking at it Monday.

I thought they had to supply the rental until a reasonable settlement was acquired(?) or at least offered. Most of the time vehicles with miles on them they won't give a good offer on --even if you kept it immaculate.
I wouldn't settle for their low ball offer because they send it. My son was hit by a guy one night on the way to work in the snow. We had just upgraded the car in several ways. They tried to cheap out on us. The one company that says they are "on your side" is really on their side. :drive:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really liked my 2010 V-6 Escape (w/6spd), but it did a lot of work (for an Escape) over the years, hauling my ATV up the mountain and firewood all over the place.

So when my mechanic told me it was getting too much rust, I figured it had served it's purpose and I traded it in on my 2019 F-150 ecoboost truck.

The F-150 makes the Escape look like a Tonka toy, and with the 2.7 ecoboost and 10 spd tranny it gets the same mileage. No regrets!

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loved my 2.3 escape hybrid. Towed my boat and utility trailer no issues. Looking at used Escapes. Found a 15 with the 1.6 ecoboost at the local dealer for a pretty good deal. It has 72k and the 6 speed auto. In my case the rental was out of pocket however I have the invoice for the other person's insurance. Also missed a day of work etc which I'll have to figure out how to get compensated for. Borrowing the ranger from my mom and dad is free just need to put fuel in it.

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought they had to supply the rental until a reasonable settlement was acquired(?) or at least offered. Most of the time vehicles with miles on them they won't give a good offer on --even if you kept it immaculate.
I wouldn't settle for their low ball offer because they send it. My son was hit by a guy one night on the way to work in the snow. We had just upgraded the car in several ways. They tried to cheap out on us. The one company that says they are "on your side" is really on their side. :drive:
That's why I have all recent invoices for the insurance.

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally getting together with dad tomorrow to cut. Bringing buddy's 391, my 55 Air Injection and my 340/346. Ran them all this afternoon and they ran fine.
dae5e60181582e76088559391ce765b3.jpg

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Won't fit on the bench with the bar installed. I have talked about this one before, the local lumberyard uses it to cut units (2x3, 2,4, 2x6) in half for further processing into a variety of surveying stakes. They called me down on Thursday to start it and cut one unit of 2x6 as they didn't have anyone on sight that was capable of the task.

Chain was a bit dull so I brought it home to clean it up, sharpen the chain (173 DL), and inspect the clutch as they have had a couple of failures in the past that have destroyed other saws.

20201212_144635.jpg

Clutch looked O.K. to me.

20201212_142757.jpg

Mark

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A nice flattop 066 that had shot bearings (had the failure prone original factory shielded bearings in there). Matt helped me rebuild the bottom end, thanks @Mattyo. Pretty slick tools he has. All that’s left to do is test it. 82FD406C-0304-49B9-9CBF-D29837ECE50B.jpegECB4707C-6697-4EB4-9939-FC7AA364F5B4.jpeg Yeah it’s got that typical gas tank handle boo-boo these saws get. It’s still solid and holds fine so it stayed.EDF1BCC8-74E5-43F3-B4EB-9D9E8602C3DB.jpegLookie there... a husky bearing in a stihl. :)

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Won't fit on the bench with the bar installed. I have talked about this one before, the local lumberyard uses it to cut units (2x3, 2,4, 2x6) in half for further processing into a variety of surveying stakes. They called me down on Thursday to start it and cut one unit of 2x6 as they didn't have anyone on sight that was capable of the task.

Chain was a bit dull so I brought it home to clean it up, sharpen the chain (173 DL), and inspect the clutch as they have had a couple of failures in the past that have destroyed other saws.

View attachment 271701

Clutch looked O.K. to me.

View attachment 271702

Mark
It's the drum you need to keep an eye on with the 88's how big of a lip is on it?
They get thin rip open and can destroy the case half when this happens.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At this point I certainly think there's a case for using the husky proprietary bearings over the stihl proprietary ones. I hate proprietary bearings but since the husky ones have the seal installed at the factory there's no risk of prolapse the seal during install. :)

A nice flattop 066 that had shot bearings (had the failure prone original factory shielded bearings in there). Matt helped me rebuild the bottom end, thanks @Mattyo. Pretty slick tools he has. All that’s left to do is test it. View attachment 271723View attachment 271724 Yeah it’s got that typical gas tank handle boo-boo these saws get. It’s still solid and holds fine so it stayed.View attachment 271725Lookie there... a husky bearing in a stihl. :)

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Filled dad's truck in less than an hour. All saws ran great. 55 and 340/346 just needed minor carb tweaking. Buddy's 391 needed nothing. Just need to clean up the 391 and toss his chain back on it and he's coming to pick up tomorrow evening.
1ffd137a934dc6e6d4f64591835a7cb0.jpg
2d611a8c815423277d24fab55dc12226.jpg

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
6:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ugh...View attachment 271747Belongs to a good fellow/friend. Looks like it needs a new fuel system.
I know how you feel. Step-dad gave me a 4618, got hard to start apparently. Can't seem to find the motivation to even start looking. He went electric so it's mine for the binning or saving. Binning is ahead....

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A nice flattop 066 that had shot bearings (had the failure prone original factory shielded bearings in there). Matt helped me rebuild the bottom end, thanks @Mattyo. Pretty slick tools he has. All that’s left to do is test it. View attachment 271723View attachment 271724 Yeah it’s got that typical gas tank handle boo-boo these saws get. It’s still solid and holds fine so it stayed.View attachment 271725Lookie there... a husky bearing in a stihl. :)
At this point I certainly think there's a case for using the husky proprietary bearings over the stihl proprietary ones. I hate proprietary bearings but since the husky ones have the seal installed at the factory there's no risk of prolapse the seal during install. :)

I did that years ago in a local faller's 066 which he needed right away for a big job and I didn't have the Stihl proprietary bearing and seal on hand (I had new OEM 385 parts on hand). I was told by a bunch of Arboristsite members that was I an idiot and a doofus for doing so.

Funny thing about it - he got a solid three years of service out of that saw cutting big wood before his partner ran it over. He still has the carcass and the bottom end is still good on it.