David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
8:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple texts from a friend about his ms 261 v2.

Guess what the problem is...

Hey Dave I was wondering if you were going to be at work tomorrow? Alsoo wondering if I could bring you my chainsaw to have you look at? It started out pretty good today and seem to be running good. I cut a couple trees down and cut them to log lengths and then it just stalled out and doesn’t seem to want to start or run again that well

Hey Dave if you make it to the shop I left my chainsaw in a black case next to the grill by the front garage door the first one number four. It seem to start up OK but once it warmed up it just won’t stay running It keeps stalling out

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they try to run an M Tronic saw too much w/o fuel, it will have problems … computer defaults to "rich mode" to protect from an air leak. Takes several tanks to "self correct".

Typically hard to start (need to pull the trigger) and will not idle. Took my 261 V II about 6 tanks to clear up, but it runs perfectly now. (I lent it to a tree guy who insisted it had fuel when it didn't, he just did not want to send it down from the tree). What a head ache that was!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple texts from a friend about his ms 261 v2.

Guess what the problem is...

Hey Dave I was wondering if you were going to be at work tomorrow? Alsoo wondering if I could bring you my chainsaw to have you look at? It started out pretty good today and seem to be running good. I cut a couple trees down and cut them to log lengths and then it just stalled out and doesn’t seem to want to start or run again that well

Hey Dave if you make it to the shop I left my chainsaw in a black case next to the grill by the front garage door the first one number four. It seem to start up OK but once it warmed up it just won’t stay running It keeps stalling out

Smells like a clogged fuel tank vent to me!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a JD 737 ZTR that was the same way. Replaced the switch, chased the wires to the starter solenoid, replaced the solenoid.... still wouldn’t work. Added the push button and it is reliable now.

The OEM wiring harness on my riding mower is a complicated mess, and the wire colors do not match the factory diagram. I'm thinking I may just chuck it and totally rewire, all the components are battery, solenoid, keyswitch, starter, and engine. Engine is a B&S Powerbuilt 10.5 OHV, about a 2008 model. Any advice on how to do this?

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OEM wiring harness on my riding mower is a complicated mess, and the wire colors do not match the factory diagram. I'm thinking I may just chuck it and totally rewire, all the components are battery, solenoid, keyswitch, starter, and engine. Engine is a B&S Powerbuilt 10.5 OHV, about a 2008 model. Any advice on how to do this?

Price a new OEM harness, you might be pleasantly surprised.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
God bless you, that's a job I would not want, those little saws make me go bonkers.

Once you get over the learning curve of these top handles, They are by far the easiest saws to service. I had all those diagnosed and at the parts counter by 9:30. Waiting on some parts that will be ordered today for tomorrow. I've got 5 of them ready. Top handle ordered for another, Coil for another, Etc