huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kevin...are those notches/cutouts on the top left shelf brackets where the upper rear rack drops in place, for an additional top rack, but from the center area of the smoker to the front?
Yes. That rack can be located on the front half also

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. That rack can be located on the front half also
Nice...with only a height limitation for meat on the top to negotiate, which I'm sure will accommodate some smaller butts no problem, and ribs/leg qtrs def not a problem, doubling the capacity of your smoker. I like that as an option buying another top rack if you ever need one for quantity.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice...with only a height limitation for meat on the top to negotiate, which I'm sure will accommodate some smaller butts no problem, and ribs/leg qtrs def not a problem, doubling the capacity of your smoker. I like that as an option buying another top rack if you ever need one for quantity.
There is actually room for shoulders under and on top of the rack. Just couldn’t do anything with them once they were there. Be ok if you were just finishing them in foil or something like that

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There is actually room for shoulders under and on top of the rack. Just couldn’t do anything with them once they were there. Be ok if you were just finishing them in foil or something like that
That top rack would be good place to drip down some smoked fat :hambre:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
These auto grills with wifi have my interest. Being a cheap basstard when it comes to bbq and mostly using wood, lump hardwood charcoal, wet large chip and small chunks I get for free from leftovers really makes me run from pricey pellet equipment. The added features of no tending might make the juice worth the squeeze this time

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These auto grills with wifi have my interest. Being a cheap basstard when it comes to bbq and mostly using wood, lump hardwood charcoal, wet large chip and small chunks I get for free from leftovers really makes me run from pricey pellet equipment. The added features of no tending might make the juice worth the squeeze this time
That’s the main reason I have the pellet and electric smokers. Got tired of tending. I can fit 8 shoulders in my electric smoker and walk away. 8 hours later they’re ready to eat

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That’s the main reason I have the pellet and electric smokers. Got tired of tending. I can fit 8 shoulders in my electric smoker and walk away. 8 hours later they’re ready to eat
I never liked my small electrics. That said I haven't bought one new in over fifteen years. They were tiny and not commercial quality equipment so the disappointment was there unless you planned a twelve hour cook cycle. Cold smoking cheese that I can acually eat now, mfer, cured meats and meat jerky for snacks is what I'd like to try someday. The fridge/icebox types homemade look real good to smoke in or block walls. Definitely a wintertime thing. This guy up on the Delaware water gap is famous for smoked goat cheeses and American Eel. He is the last guy with the rights and the smarts to set up an eel deal on the DWR. He sets the stones by hand and drags out the three stage catch box for the migrating down river fish. He releases the big ones and the little ones. All done by canoe. His smoker is ancient.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never liked my small electrics. That said I haven't bought one new in over fifteen years. They were tiny and not commercial quality equipment so the disappointment was there unless you planned a twelve hour cook cycle. Cold smoking cheese that I can acually eat now, mfer, cured meats and meat jerky for snacks is what I'd like to try someday. The fridge/icebox types homemade look real good to smoke in or block walls. Definitely a wintertime thing. This guy up on the Delaware water gap is famous for smoked goat cheeses and American Eel. He is the last guy with the rights and the smarts to set up an eel deal on the DWR. He sets the stones by hand and drags out the three stage catch box for the migrating down river fish. He releases the big ones and the little ones. All done by canoe. His smoker is ancient.
My first one was a commercial bread warmer from the local bowling alley. 3x3x6’ tall. Could smoke 75 lbs of jerky at once if you wanted. Could add charcoal for more heat and could have all the smoke you wanted by throwing more chips in.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My first one was a commercial bread warmer from the local bowling alley. 3x3x6’ tall. Could smoke 75 lbs of jerky at once if you wanted. Could add charcoal for more heat and could have all the smoke you wanted by throwing more chips in.
Good idea.
You got pics of the charcoal box?

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
1:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who here has a pellet grill? What do you like/ dislike about it?
I have a Traeger 34.
You can use it as a grill or smoker but it doesn't really excel at either.
Highest temp is 400-450, which isn't hot enough for a good initial sear when grilling. Other than that, It's fine.

I use a smoke tubes when I use it as a smoker. Really makes a difference.
At a temp of 225-250, it doesn't produce enough smoke to do much.
If I was limited to one unit, I could live with it.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Traeger 34.
You can use it as a grill or smoker but it doesn't really excel at either.
Highest temp is 400-450, which isn't hot enough for a good initial sear when grilling. Other than that, It's fine.

I use a smoke tubes when I use it as a smoker. Really makes a difference.
At a temp of 225-250, it doesn't produce enough smoke to do much.
If I was limited to one unit, I could live with it.
Do you have trouble keeping your smoke tubes lit?

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have trouble keeping your smoke tubes lit?
I have at times.
As long as the pellets are kept completely dry before use and aren't used in a water pan smoker, they work fine. I do have to make sure they're well lit. I use a propane torch to get them burning. They also need a good supply of air to keep smoldering.
When used in dry smoker or grill, I've had issues with them burning too quickly. When they burn quickly, they put out am impressive volume of smoke but only last for 1/3- 1/2 the time they should.