Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use pretty much the same process. Smoke uncovered at 250* until the internal temp is 165*, then steam in a sealed pan at 200* until the internal temp is 190*. It takes some time but is worth the wait.
Looks mighty tasty indeed!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bird is the word today. Spatchcocked and heavy lemon & pepper, low and slow on the WP. Little mix of apple wood and hickory chips to smoke for a bit, then pump bottle of apple juice/vinegar/water mix later as needed.

2b92f323-7387-4477-8dcc-6451cb71c58a-jpeg.297995

Husky 288XP Lite (Riff Raff Chainsaw Collective Ported/Built), 262XP, 550XP Mark II, 346XP, 455 Rancher, 55, 51, 445
Stihl 038 AV Mag II, MS291, MMWS 028 AV Super W/B, 028 AV Super W/B, 028 AV Super, 024 AV
Craftsman 40cc
Homelite XL
Fiskars X27 x 2, X25, X17, X15, X7
Super Split HD
20-Ton Dual Split
'06 Dodge MegaCab Laramie 4x4

SEMPER FI

'Call me BUB...and don’t tell me how to run my damn shop!'

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who here has a pellet grill? What do you like/ dislike about it?
I have a Pit Boss pellet grill. It is my first smoker so I don't have experience with any other style smoker but I really do like the versatility of it. It's kind of like a swiss army knife, it can do just about everything it just isn't necessarily the best at everything. My only real complaint is that I want more smoke flavor when I am smoking. I am thinking about trying some different pellets to get more of a smoke flavor. I tried a smoke tube to add additional smoke but I had to keep re-lighting it and it didn't seem to help much.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who here has a pellet grill? What do you like/ dislike about it?

I have a smokin brothers pellet grill, made in USA in SW MO. No complaints here other than the cost of pellets. I bought a large one so mine will use more pellets than a smaller one. I use the smokin brothers brand pellets, which are expensive compared to other brands. I have found that the mesquite pellets smoke more than any other, a lot more it seems. The pro of any pellet grill is ease of use; set your temperature, set your timer, walk away and let the magic happen; and consistency of product. If you want to increase the temperature after a few hours, just push a button. Also, you can buy any flavor pellet you want. There are no mesquite or cherry trees around here, and most people don't want you cutting their pecan and hickory down. Another pro is many of the new ones have wi-fi; you can control it from another location if you need to. Mine does not have that; it wasn't available when I got mine, but is available now if I want to upgrade.

CONS: can take awhile to get back up to temp if you open the door; and cold weather makes it worse; price of pellets.

No way do I want to jack with a wood burner; trying to get the right temp., trying not to run out of wood, trying not to use too much wood, trying to get the wood seasoned right, trying not to get the box to hot or not hot enough, having to find the wood you want to cook with. All that work for a little more smoke, no thanks. I wouldn't mind an automatic wood burning smoker but they are pricey!!!

Nobody has ever said, "I wish your pulled pork had more smoke flavor..." I don't know if most people could even tell the difference, including myself.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have one Louisiana Grill and two Green Mountain grills they both have some nice features that the other one doesn’t.
This is the Louisiana it has the anti flame broil which is a nice little touch.
65009ee14aeb58694eb6a2cfaa6b5d49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only pro I can see with a pellet grill is the consistency as long as you don’t run out of pellets in the hopper. Took me a long time to spend the money on the kamado joe coming from weber kettles. Absolutely no comparison between those two. I’ve always been the official grill guy where ever we go and have made some great food but this kamado joe takes it to a whole new level.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Traeger Pro 34 here. For those that want more smoke taste out of your pellet grills, use either mesquite or 100% hickory pellets.

A good one to try for fish is Alder it really makes something like Sockeye Salmon have a great flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk