Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
3:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I usually use cherry, but many of the smokers like hickory, more smoke flavor they say. I personally like apple if I have it. Hickory is good for cold smoking bacon IMO!! As we always used it in the old meat house to smoke the hams, shoulders, and the sides for bacon. Using cherry wood here with the pork butt. because that is all I have. I prefer apple or hickory. View attachment 277946

The only wood I don't use is Mesquite. To me, it gives whatever I smoke a harsh flavor.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I’m going to be smoking my first batch of summer sausage. Venison and some pork with LEM Backwoods seasoning. What wood would you recommend to smoke with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hickory, Apple, than pecan or cherry. Hickory = more smoke flavor. Cherry = less smoke flavor. Apple and pecan in the middle IMO.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hickory and Cherry are both good.
I use a lot of Pecan as well.

Pecan ok. not sure were to get the blocks for the smokin-it smoker.

Last edited:

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many more hours left before done?

I am sorry -- I forgot to snap some photos of the larger but pulled today. It was devoured readily.
The paddle bone pulled right out. It was eaten loose and some made sammiches. Delish!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a weird wood, I guessed pecan because of the bark, but I know little about pecan other than it is related to hickory, right? Yellowish wood, brown bark with sort of a non shag bark hickory type pattern to the bark. Maybe it was walnut, but not black walnut. The wood has an herbal smell, at first I though it was a bit chemically like black walnut, but fresher cut wood is more like IDK Italian seasoning or sage or something, a very unusual smell for wood. I did smoke with it, and it had a very interesting flavor.

I've also used peach recently. Super mild, you have to use a lot of it and for longer compared to the usual hardwoods. It still comes out super mild, a bit sweet and peachy, but I got more of the impression the meat was cooked with wood than a distinct flavor. Good for those who don't like strong smoke.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am sorry -- I forgot to snap some photos of the larger but pulled today. It was devoured readily.
The paddle bone pulled right out. It was eaten loose and some made sammiches. Delish!

Sweet!!

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20210227_123315.jpg 20210227_123916.jpg
Doing a bit of yard bird for me and the wifey on the Weber.
Kind of a grill/smoke effort. Usually I cook whole chickens.
Not this time. Seasoned with a salt-pepper-garlic rub.

Last edited:

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm also interested if any of you guys have experience with brine -- in relationship to cooking whole chickens or turkeys.
I've been told it's a game changer. Look forward to your experience and insight.

I brined my first Turkey at Christmas. The flavour was good and meat nice and juicy. Texture of the meat was different, can’t say I liked it or didn’t just different. I think I am going to try a dry brine at Easter as I have been told it is everything a wet brine does and more.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I brined my first Turkey at Christmas. The flavour was good and meat nice and juicy. Texture of the meat was different, can’t say I liked it or didn’t just different. I think I am going to try a dry brine at Easter as I have been told it is everything a wet brine does and more.

I'm a dark meat fan, but properly brined the breast is the first thing I go for. Plus the opportunity to infuse some more spices. I don't smoke lean meat without it.

I will need some details - ingredients, how its done. I'm not a nit picker. I believe you can learn something from most everybody when it comes to smoking meat and cooking something that people really want to eat.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A basic brine is 1 gallon water one cup salt 1/2 to one cup sugar. After that add spices that you would season each meat with. Sliced onions are nice. Lemon and poultry works, as well as sage. Garlic always garlic. It's tough to go overboard because brine times are pretty short. Michael Ruhlman has the basics for brines in his book Charcuterie, but most of his recipes from that book can be found on line.