Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
6:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happened to pick this up for an absolute STEAL! 22.7lbs Prime grade boneless ribeye. Since there wasn’t room in the freezer for a roast, it ended up as 15 steaks.

View attachment 247307

View attachment 247308
Gorgeous hunk of meat there.
I'd dry age that for 21 days, before slicing into steaks that would bring tears to your eyes.
Even without being aged, I bet the steaks are damn good

Last edited:

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do any of you make sausage?
I'm getting geared up to start. I was in Wichita last week and stopped at Waltons.
I picked up a meat mixer and stuffer as well as a bunch of mixes, spices and cases.
I still need a grinder. I looked at grinders from Weston and LEM.
I'm leaning toward either an LEM 8 or 12 big bite.
In addition to making sausage, I want to be able to grind beef and pork for other dishes.
I'll probably grind 150 lbs a year max, in batches of 25 lbs or less.
What grinders are you guys using and what do you like or dislike about them?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
7:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do any of you make sausage?
I'm getting geared up to start. I was in Wichita last week and stopped at Waltons.
I picked up a meat mixer and stuffer as well as a bunch of mixes, spices and cases.
I still need a grinder. I looked at grinders from Weston and LEM.
I'm leaning toward either an LEM 8 or 12 big bite.
In addition to making sausage, I want to be able to grind beef and pork for other dishes.
I'll probably grind 150 lbs a year max, in batches of 25 lbs or less.
What grinders are you guys using and what do you like or dislike about them?
I bought a 3/4hp grinder from Cabelas years ago. It looks like a Weston, but never really looked into who makes em for Cabelas. We use it to process deer every year and not one issue yet.

1FF788EA-B08C-4D53-AF01-DE6BD59BEE64.jpeg

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
we have the big LEM..got it from attwoods that thing really works good they have all the attachments for them also.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife got tired of me looking at and comparing grinder specs. I tend to go overboard researching things before I buy and it drives her nuts.

She ordered me a LEM 12 Big Bite. I was leaning toward an 8, but I guess it's a moot point now.

Thanks for the replies!

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh Baby!!! That doesn't look like a marketplace BGE find. Story?

Right you are Gary. The marketplace egg didn't work out, but I'd already gone down the rabbit hole. I cook for large groups pretty often, lunch on the farm, etc, so a 24" Kamado is what I had my sights on. Looked pretty hard at BGE and Komado Joe. Decided on the big Joe, but by the time I decided what to buy, where to buy it, and had my wife (begrudgingly, to be sure) on board, Ceramic Grill Store was out of stock with no real idea when they'd be back or what they'd cost.

So I went back to the drawing board. I think I did that a couple times actually. Probably could have been satisfied with a couple kettles and a WSM, but baking is a priority also, and I think I would have always been thinking about a komado and probably would have bought one someday anyway.

Enter the Weber summit charcoal grill. They compare very well with the 24" komados. Not cheap of course, but they won't crack and I can actually move it around by myself. Good warranty too. My local Ace hardware was able to get one super fast and even put it together for me. Brought it home last Saturday. Been using it pretty much every day since. Fried rice in my wok, smoked some beef and a chicken, grilled brats, baked up some burger buns and made pizza.

So, that's the story. I'm looking forward to taking my barbecue game to the next level. I've got piles of apple wood from the orchard and my bacon seeds are sizing up nicely. Should manage to produce some tasty stuff in the coming months and years. My sister is coming over this weekend and we're gonna do half a dozen racks of ribs and some country ribs if they'll fit. I'll get some pictures for sure!

rps20200710_085043_629.jpg

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
7:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right you are Gary. The marketplace egg didn't work out, but I'd already gone down the rabbit hole. I cook for large groups pretty often, lunch on the farm, etc, so a 24" Kamado is what I had my sights on. Looked pretty hard at BGE and Komado Joe. Decided on the big Joe, but by the time I decided what to buy, where to buy it, and had my wife (begrudgingly, to be sure) on board, Ceramic Grill Store was out of stock with no real idea when they'd be back or what they'd cost.

So I went back to the drawing board. I think I did that a couple times actually. Probably could have been satisfied with a couple kettles and a WSM, but baking is a priority also, and I think I would have always been thinking about a komado and probably would have bought one someday anyway.

Enter the Weber summit charcoal grill. They compare very well with the 24" komados. Not cheap of course, but they won't crack and I can actually move it around by myself. Good warranty too. My local Ace hardware was able to get one super fast and even put it together for me. Brought it home last Saturday. Been using it pretty much every day since. Fried rice in my wok, smoked some beef and a chicken, grilled brats, baked up some burger buns and made pizza.

So, that's the story. I'm looking forward to taking my barbecue game to the next level. I've got piles of apple wood from the orchard and my bacon seeds are sizing up nicely. Should manage to produce some tasty stuff in the coming months and years. My sister is coming over this weekend and we're gonna do half a dozen racks of ribs and some country ribs if they'll fit. I'll get some pictures for sure!

View attachment 249441
Good choice...solid machines!

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 249441

Definitely on my lust list.

Will be very interested in seeing what you produce. I've only used my WSM once and was satisfied but not ecstatic with the results. We'll see what happens with I get around to doing a brisket, we just don't ever have enough people around to make one worth while...

Do you need to drill a port for your Billows or is there a port you can use?