trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For grinding round chain. Got a bench mount Oregon, and its been good to me, but only can grind in two angles. Looking to expand my horizons and start experimenting in 3 planes sometimes. Also, is there a grinder out there that cuts both teeth the same on the same angle? My bench mount you've got to adjust it when you swivel the vise to grind the other side. Any and all advise will be well recieved!! Thanks.

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For grinding round chain. Got a bench mount Oregon, and its been good to me, but only can grind in two angles. Looking to expand my horizons and start experimenting in 3 planes sometimes. Also, is there a grinder out there that cuts both teeth the same on the same angle? My bench mount you've got to adjust it when you swivel the vise to grind the other side. Any and all advise will be well recieved!! Thanks.

Really like my USG. Just swivel side to side and the rest stays out. Easy to see the numbers, lots of adjustment if you want it.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m a Silvey guy from our round 510 up to the 3/4 P&D they’re all the same just twist the vise flip which pawl and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless you buy a fully automatic grinder, all the grinders you have to swivel the base to switch between left and right cutters.

As far as keeping the cutters equal length, some grinders are better then others. Some don’t have the swivel base squared up with the drop of the wheel head. And some are adjustable. You get what pay for in this market.

I know I’ll get chastised for this one, but equal length between left and right is not as important as matching the depth gauge to each tooth.

What ever you do buy, I do recommend purchasing one with a base that allows the 10* offset. And put a quality wheel on it.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a CBN wheel for it, but going 30° on one side and swiveling it to 30° the other side should not need adjustment in my eyes. The Stihl USG looks to be a good grinder. I know you only get what you pay for, thats why I'm upgrading. I'm trying to maximize my time and also get more adjustment out of it.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
6:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I love my MAXX, but yo have to flip everything backwards when switching from LH to RH cutters. But, I can always grind into the tooth!!!

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My set up is USG for teeth and Tecomec/Oregon for rakers. I had an HOS also but only 2 settings. If I had it to do over again it wld be the USG and HOS.
I like the HOS...can't say for sure why but I like it better then my 511a. The Stihl wheels are cheap too. ( 511a has a CBN wheel too)