Better Quality Forester Grinding Wheels for HF Type Grinders

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've mentioned the importance of the wheels when grinding chains, and how good wheels can really be an improvement over some of the fine grit, red/brown wheels supplied with many of these low cost grinders. So I was happy to find these Forester brand wheels for the mini-grinders at that store where 'You Save BIG Money', especially with the price: $10 for a 'bonus pack', including an 1/8" and a 3/16" grinding wheel. This is lower than what these wheels list for individually on eBay.

Screen shot 2020-10-18 at 4.00.32 PM.png

As noted, the fit can be tricky: some grinding wheels have an ID of 7/8", and some 22mm. Even though they are close (and sometimes mislabeled) they have to match the arbor on your grinder. Too small and they will not fit. Too large and they wobble (or worse!).

I tried them on a few of the 'HF type' grinders that I have. They fit the older style, 'Chicago Electric' (Harbor Freight brand, without the bicycle brake lever chain vise), and the similar looking 'Nick the Grinder'. But they did not fit an identical looking 'Infinity' grinder (seriously, you could not tell these grinders apart, except for the colors). Forester says they will fit their grinder, and the Oregon models, but I do not have these to try. So keep your receipt and test fit them on yours.

As with the better quality Oregon wheel (Post #188), this made grinding fun! These smaller, lower powered, fixed angle grinders have their limits: they are good for restoring edges on cutters, but limited for fixing damaged teeth, custom angles, or doing depth gauges. But they are small, quiet, and inexpensive.

I went looking for more loops to sharpen. I did several 20" loops of STIHL .325 pitch chain and was pretty happy with the results.

IMG_0337.jpg

Some of these grinders were only sold with the 1/8" wheels, which is too narrow for larger pitch chain. The 'Nick the Grinder' grinder took the 3/16" wheel with no problem. My 'Chicago Electric' grinder had enough threads on the arbor to hold the wheel, but will need a little trimming on the cover guard for additional clearance.

Screen shot 2020-10-18 at 4.05.31 PM.png

Nice to have decent quality, inexpensive, grinding wheels to use with inexpensive grinders. So far, I have only seen this packaging at Menard's. Hopefully, it will become more available.

Philbert

Last edited:

Brandon427

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a forester brand round grinder for gullets on my square grinds! It’s perfect for that cheap and quick! However now I’m looking to venture into grinding my processor chains. I’m going to need invest in a better 1. I’m thinking a new Oregon. Would you have any recommendations or anything to consider?

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got to be a bit careful with the Forester wheels, they tend to be somewhat sloppy on the arbor sizes. They do work well, perhaps just a bit softer than I would like, likely just me. Got a couple of the 8" ones to try on the 451c grinder, but they are warped , so for that application they are useless. Might just have gotten a couple of bad ones?, but have seen the same thing in the 5.5" ones also.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a forester brand round grinder for gullets on my square grinds! It’s perfect for that cheap and quick! However now I’m looking to venture into grinding my processor chains. I’m going to need invest in a better 1. I’m thinking a new Oregon. Would you have any recommendations or anything to consider?

Which harvester chain 11 series or 18/19?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experience, wheels from Forester do not last nearly as long as the ones from Tecomec/Oregon.

On grinders I have a Tecomec I sharpen with and a Forester left set up for depth gauges(rakers/shark fins).

There's definitely a quality difference between the two company's.

If you have a fair amount of chains to do, then the Tecomec/Oregon machine would be for you. The self centering head alone is worth the extra $.
If just a casual cutter with a couple chains a year than the Forester would be okay.

I believe the Tecomec/Oregon grinders will do 3/4 harvester chain with an adapter, if memory serves. I don't know if the Forester will or won't. I do not sharpen any harvester chain, so didn't pay a whole lot of attention on the subject.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got to be a bit careful with the Forester wheels, they tend to be somewhat sloppy on the arbor sizes. They do work well, perhaps just a bit softer than I would like, likely just me. Got a couple of the 8" ones to try on the 451c grinder, but they are warped , so for that application they are useless. Might just have gotten a couple of bad ones?, but have seen the same thing in the 5.5" ones also.
Being these are likely China made wheels made to a price point that us western consumers love, you will indeed find warped ones. Either toss it, return it or if it's not too bad just use it and after 20/40/60 chain sharpens it will improve as it reduces in size, the run-out IME gets better as the wheel gets smaller. I've seen similar pink wheels on the bay with starting bids of
.99c...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got to be a bit careful with the Forester wheels, they tend to be somewhat sloppy on the arbor sizes.

In my experience, wheels from Forester do not last nearly as long as the ones from Tecomec/Oregon.

These 4-1/4” ones are the only ones I’ve tried, and they worked well for the chains that I did. They seem to be well matched to these less expensive grinders. Feels weird to put a $15 - $35 wheel on a sub $30 grinder!

I’m looking to venture into grinding my processor chains.

.404 or 3/4 pitch chains? For larger pitch chains, as well as for fixing damaged teeth, reshaping cutters, custom angles, etc. , you want the 5-3/4” grinders with the larger, more powerful motors.

Philbert

Last edited:

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Northern Tool grinder I bought quite a few years ago (same as what TSC sells now, mines just yellow). It uses the 5.750" wheels, it came with 3 wheels (1/8", 3/16", 1/4") & surprisingly they do a really nice job and have barely worn.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . it came with 3 wheels . . . & surprisingly they do a really nice job and have barely worn.
Do you dress them frequently to expose fresh abrasive?

Philbert

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you dress them frequently to expose fresh abrasive?

Philbert

Yup, I dress them about every time even if it doesn't need done. I also clean the chains in my parts washer before & after sharpening to remove any pitch or oil build-up. After they dry I dip them in ATF, let them drip off & then they go back in the boxes.

Brandon427

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These 4-1/4” ones are the only ones I’ve tried, and they worked well for the chains that I did. Thanks Seem to be well matched to these less expensive grinders. Feels weird to put a $15 - $35 wheel on a sub $30 grinder!

.404 or 3/4 pitch chains? For larger pitch chains, as well as for fixing damaged teeth, reshaping cutters, custom angles, etc. , you want the 5-3/4” grinders with the larger, more powerful motors.

Philbert
It will only be 404 chains.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then the common, Oregon / Tecomec style, 5-3/4 inch grinders, with the right wheels, will be fine. 3/4 pitch chain sometimes needs a special grinder or vise.

Philbert

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not even sure I believe it’s 11. It’s a 92 driver smaller firewood processor.

I run a super jolly like the guys above just for doing the 19hx when you sit down to do 15 to 20 loops at a time the hydraulic vise pays for itself quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The super jolly comes with the taller chain stop to run 3/4 chain. I actually use that chain stop for all chain because it holds it down into the vise better
I found that too, but did not associate it with the 3/4 pitch chain. Will it hold the 0.122 gauge links?

A taller chain stop was a problem with one of my ‘mini-grinders’: it hit the motor with half-used chains!

Philbert

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found that too, but did not associate it with the 3/4 pitch chain. Will it hold the 0.122 gauge links?

A taller chain stop was a problem with one of my ‘mini-grinders’: it hit the motor with half-used chains!

Philbert
I’m not certain if it will go that wide or not. I know there is a .080 gauge setting, or something like it. The biggest I ever use is .063. In the directions, it said the taller chain stop was for 3/4. I tilt the grinder 10° to do depth gauges on it. If not for that, or when my wheel wears out a little bit more, my motor will also hit the chain stop. I’ll figure out what I’m going to do then

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not to hijack the thread but does anyone use CBN wheels on their grinders?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not to hijack the thread but does anyone use CBN wheels on their grinders?
Comments in a bunch of thread on this. A lot of guys like them. I prefer the standard wheels.

Back to the focus of this thread, putting a $100 wheel on a $27 grinder does not make a lot of sense. Plus, most of these little grinders don’t have the power to spin the heavier wheels.

Philbert