What oil is best? and what ratio?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually tested some two-stroke oil today. I've often bashed it, but just for *s-words and giggles, I tried Opti-2. I mixed at 1.8 oz with one gallon of 90 octane E0, so the ratio was approximately 71:1. The test dummy for this oil was an old Stihl BG55 blower. I had to retune the carburetor because the last time it was tuned, it was about 95° out and it was about 45° this afternoon. Once adjusted, it was putting out about the same amount of smoke as just about any FD oil at 50:1. I will say the oil was about twice as thick as the VP synthetic that I usually use. About a thick is a bowl of cold grits.
PXL_20201216_230922857.jpg

I'm not going to use this beyond this experiment but I was just seeing for myself. It'll probably would work for light duty applications, but I'm not going to run this in a high dollar piece of equipment.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still firmly believe the oil I use is the best.

Whale oil. Its just getting harder to harvest the whale these days. Luckily I still have a few glass jars worth. After that I’ll need to hunt me a whale. I believe those island is pretty fair whaling still. Just gotta get out there beyond the shipping channels so as those coast guard boys don’t notice
Rhode Island. Not those island. Auto correct.... it knows nothing of whaling.

Early 60s mopars had whale oil in the rear diff as an additive.
Talk about STINK! nothing like popping the pumpkin out and getting rancid whale oil in your face.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I run M-Pro7 on every gun I've owned - ARs, 1911s, Glocks, HKs, Sigs, revolvers, shotguns, bolt and lever guns.

I've been down the gun oil rabbit hole and tried everything on the market. There was a time in my past where I was shooting a 1000 to 2000 rounds a month thru my competition guns in practice sessions alone, then another 1000 or so in USPSA and 3-Gun matches. My ammo budget was larger than my truck and house combined...

Cmarti

Old Poulans make me smile
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the internal workings I like Rem oil … for protecting the outside I have not found anything better than Fluid Film.

I also like the Hornady One Shot spray for the internals.

I was with you, but have gone to synthetic car wax for externals. Less mess than FF, and has held up through hunting the last couple years. Uh OH....I just posted about wax in an Oil Thread...wax on, wax off

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run M-Pro7 on every gun I've owned - ARs, 1911s, Glocks, HKs, Sigs, revolvers, shotguns, bolt and lever guns.

I've been down the gun oil rabbit hole and tried everything on the market. There was a time in my past where I was shooting a 1000 to 2000 rounds a month thru my competition guns in practice sessions alone, then another 1000 or so in USPSA and 3-Gun matches. My ammo budget was larger than my truck and house combined...

I've never used this before, but after reviewing it, I ordered some. Several places were "sold out", but then I found it!

Ironically, I ended up finding the 4 oz bottles for cheaper than the 2 oz bottles (that were sold out elsewhere!).

Thanks for sharing!