What oil is best? and what ratio?

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the best motor oil for a new 383 stroker engine I’m having put in my 92’ Chevy Z71 step-side? I’ve read any brand with a high zinc content.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the best motor oil for a new 383 stroker engine I’m having put in my 92’ Chevy Z71 step-side? I’ve read any brand with a high zinc content.

It doesn't get that cold where you're at so I would use some sort of diesel rated oil either 10W-30 or 15W-40. Valvoline VR1 is high zinc too.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't realize that Diesel motor oils had such good detergents in them , I put rotella in a junk yard 318 one time and when i drained the oil about 8 quarts of the chunkiest oil I ever saw came out. Popped the valve covers and sure enough it cleaned most of the old hard/thick oil out.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't realize that Diesel motor oils had such good detergents in them , I put rotella in a junk yard 318 one time and when i drained the oil about 8 quarts of the chunkiest oil I ever saw came out. Popped the valve covers and sure enough it cleaned most of the old hard/thick oil out.
It’s incredible what it’ll clean up.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it was me I would prolly run the oil power driven diesel had formulated for them. Best heavy duty oil I've seen. Literally stops wear in medium horsepower gas and diesel engines and keeps high hp engines alive way way longer at questionable rpms and temps

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flat taper or Roller?

I've always been a fan of using diesel oil either 15-40 conventional or 5-40 synthetic. However I've noticed that recently the "diesel" oils have dropped the "S" rating and most of them are only carrying the "CK" rating now. Not sure if if it's really an issue for gasssers or if it's just an EPA deal due different additives etc.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rotell
I've always been a fan of using diesel oil either 15-40 conventional or 5-40 synthetic. However I've noticed that recently the "diesel" oils have dropped the "S" rating and most of them are only carrying the "CK" rating now. Not sure if if it's really an issue for gasssers or if it's just an EPA deal due different additives etc.
Rotella has too much zinc I think to make the “sn” mark today. Or it could be phosphates. I’m not an expert.
Mobil 1300 is sn rated still I believe.
I read all this crap at some point. I use Mobil 15 40 in all my stuff. my heavy diesel equipment I use shell only because it’s been so damn good to me.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new oils have have changed certs to keep the emission components alive. I work for a company that's deeply involved with chevron products. The oils that are ck rated are a major tradeoff to engine life has no zinc and most use a additive package that will tell your oil analysis that you have coolant in your oil if you don't tell them you are running it. The power driven diesel oils are a performance oil designed for engine life not dpf life. I would never ever run a ck oil in a older diesel engine that was made for older oil before all these dpfs came out. Seen many injector failures fuel pump failures from the ulsd and major oil pump problems from the heui style systems.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
2:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This is what I run in all my built V8’s. Great oil. And designed for gasoline engines. Schaeffer’s 7000 Racing Oil. I’ve got a built AMC 401 with a flat tappet cam.

Some of the newer diesel oils do not protect flat tappet cams like they used to. We had a Rotella oil rep come into our engine shop one day and he told us to stop buying it from him for high performance V8 applications - he said that they changed the properties of it because the newer diesels didn’t need all the extra “stuff” in the oil anymore.. Food for thought..
6EACBBD2-53DD-4B77-B959-3BB3F4A06119.jpeg

John7478

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local loggers have switched to red armor echo oil 40:1. They were running mostly 461 and switched to 572xp about a year ago. Out of 9 new 572's 2 of them shattered crank bearings not long into operation. Dealer fixed the 2 saws. They started using red armor and really like it. He told me not to use xp oil. Also told me the 572 are lasting about a year under heavy use. Said stihl would last twice as long but he likes that the 572 doesnt beat him up as bad.
quality, etc.

The 572 is not the lightest saw I ever owned, or the strongest. But day after day, she'll start every time, cut a lot of wood, and never let me down. And 500i or 462's users can't say the same.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New diesels and the emission systems Cant survive with the additives that make a engine last a million miles. Just like a 2 cycle engine everything is a trade off. Its a balance of getting emissions components and engines to last just long enough to get out of warranty.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
quality, etc.

The 572 is not the lightest saw I ever owned, or the strongest. But day after day, she'll start every time, cut a lot of wood, and never let me down. And 500i or 462's users can't say the same.

I can absolutely say the same for a 462.