What oil is best? and what ratio?

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to beat Saber, use it in your ope, dirt bikes, rc buggies and snowmobiles. 40:1 for OPE, 32:1 for motosports and down to 25:1 - 16:1 for rc

The only reason they started making dominator was because people were running those stupid ratios of 80-100:1 and blowing engines so they decided to keep it at those ratios and make dominator. I have found dominator a dirty oil unless you are running flat out, a sharp tune and under heavy loads - it’s unforgiving.

Running saber like any normal oil in power spots will result in excellent results. When you read the label is says use in any air cooled ope OR any other applications that specify FD rated oil..

Edit:

51119F3D-1C0A-4531-AFBF-E893968A9FD1.jpeg

Last edited:

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to beat Saber, use it in your ope, dirt bikes, rc buggies and snowmobiles. 40:1 for OPE, 32:1 for motosports and down to 25:1 - 16:1 for rc

The only reason they started making dominator was because people were running those stupid ratios of 80-100:1 and blowing engines so they decided to keep it at those ratios and make dominator. I have found dominator a dirty oil unless you are running flat out, a sharp tune and under heavy loads - it’s unforgiving.

Running saber like any normal oil in power spots will result in excellent results. When you read the label is says use in any air cooled ope OR any other applications that specify FD rated oil..

Edit:

View attachment 373908
Chainsaws are happier at wide open in the cut. Running less is hard on them, example, running a log wizzard at half throttle.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chainsaws are happier at wide open in the cut. Running less is hard on them, example, running a log wizzard at half throttle.
Quite right, but we let them idle while we move logs, go part throttle on limbing, part throttle at the end of a cut. It’s not all wide open bar buried, milling type work for general ope use and I think that’s why (I at least), get a dirty plug and splooge. Something I don’t get with Saber. I’m sure dominator is great, I just don’t find it as forgiving or good for general ope use.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Quite right, but we let them idle while we move logs, go part throttle on limbing, part throttle at the end of a cut. It’s not all wide open bar buried, milling type work for general ope use and I think that’s why (I at least), get a dirty plug and splooge. Something I don’t get with Saber. I’m sure dominator is great, I just don’t find it as forgiving or good for general ope use.
Only problem is you are making these statement based only on the view through the lens of your personal experience. Plenty of other folks have observed different results with Dominator. Saber is a great oil too. Dominator was made for 2t racing/competition applications period. All this being said “stick with what works best for you” is probably the best advice anyone is likely to hear in an oil discussion.:thumbsup:

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this is pretty much opposite of my experience. i usually use 4-5 gallons or so of mix oil every year, used to be saber, now i use dominator (only because its easier to get in gallon jugs locally). at 42:1 saber would ooze out mufflers. fair bit of carbon. same ratio and none of that with dominator.
this saw is basically only used for processing brush to either be fed into a trailer or a chipper. gets fired up and shut off 50 times a day when im
doin trees, pretty rarely it gets to actual full operating temp, should be absolutely worst case scenario, but im perfectly fine with the results.
7A0225E4-87DE-407A-9B2E-BDD23B297003.jpeg

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
heres the old blower. lost track long ago, but id have to guess it has at least 200 gallons of fuel through this one. almost exclusively saber, but the last year and a half have been dominator. its cleaner than the last time i took the muffin pff.
20D006F3-3D78-4932-BCDE-599BC345A076.jpeg108A3DC2-2A4E-4FC2-B41C-AE9D18915334.jpeg

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
heres the “new” blower. it has obviously much less usage, still had saber for the first few years of its life. you can literally see the dominator cleaning the carbon out of the ex port.
342D86B5-9101-4FC9-A06C-D320B1FDD008.jpeg14560387-F458-4557-A189-10BA084A626D.jpeg

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this is pretty much opposite of my experience. i usually use 4-5 gallons or so of mix oil every year, used to be saber, now i use dominator (only because its easier to get in gallon jugs locally). at 42:1 saber would ooze out mufflers. fair bit of carbon. same ratio and none of that with dominator.
this saw is basically only used for processing brush to either be fed into a trailer or a chipper. gets fired up and shut off 50 times a day when im
doin trees, pretty rarely it gets to actual full operating temp, should be absolutely worst case scenario, but im perfectly fine with the results.
View attachment 373937
heres the top of the piston
sorry for the chitty pic but its pretty clear to see piston top is absolutely clean.
View attachment 373940
I wish I got those results!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
11:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You must be doing something wrong. You are literally the only person I’ve ever heard have a problem with Dominator, and I get around.
It could possibly be a difference in fuel. After all, the additives package varies widely even from different corners of the U.S., let alone around the world.