What oil is best? and what ratio?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why does boat oil get a bad rap when run in saws?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm kind of glad I ran across this now. I've been running 40:1 (I try to get at least 3.2 oz of oil per gallon of gas) at the advice on this board to keep the heat down on my 395xp when milling, but I'm starting to think the real change was just me finally adjusting the carb to run a bit more rich. I'm not a smart guy, but wouldn't adding more oil to the gas actually make the saw run leaner, if not tuned? I only have one gas can for premix, right now, so I just tuned all my saws to run on the 40:1 mix. Just to be safe I'm also running two cycle oil for racing dirtbikes, but maybe that's not necessary? I'm thinking about changing over to a plant based 2t oil from a local-ish distributor. They sent me a sample, but it's only enough for a 50:1 on a full gallon of gas...

Milling is different.

If I was milling with a chainsaw, I'd be using Belray H1R at 32:1

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why does boat oil get a bad rap when run in saws?
I read, maybe even here somewhere, that boat motors run cooler and the boat oil doesn't do as well in the hotter conditions of a chainsaw. Sounds like an urban legend, but I've been wrong before.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought there was issues with dominator and corrosion/protection issues when sitting? Or was I misinformed?

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes. Not one of my favorite oils.
That is surprising given the reputation. Are synthetic oils better? I've only used the B&S little bottle with the measuring cup built in, boat 2t oil, and Maxima Super M. Is the only way to see how well they work to take apart the engine? I get that this thread has covered all of that, but it is also nearly 900 pages long.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is surprising given the reputation. Are synthetic oils better? I've only used the B&S little bottle with the measuring cup built in, boat 2t oil, and Maxima Super M. Is the only way to see how well they work to take apart the engine? I get that this thread has covered all of that, but it is also nearly 900 pages long.

This thread has been useless. In a private conversation is where the real oil testing has been conducted. And that testing is why I'm absolutely set on the oils and ratios I use.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, I meant that alot can be communicated with a conversation or focused topic.
I can see how a thread gets alot of imput but not alot of focus.
Months seems reasonable enough for a definitive answer, I'm sure yourself and others have due diligence that a thread does not.
I take your answers as informed and tested on chainsaw related issues.