RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're taking this waaaay to serious.

50:1 with a good oil on a saw with a sharp chain that has a proper tune and all other things in order is gonna last a very long time. I know...I watch it happen all the time.

I got wild on my last batch of gas and mixed 44:1, I was wondering if the internet would approve of my reckless behavior...
You're 100% correct. I ran a Stihl 029 for 20 years before finding the other place. Always had it tuned correctly. Piston and cylinder were perfect. I ran Stihl orange bottle oil and the leftover oil from my outboard motor from my fishing days.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're 100% correct. I ran a Stihl 029 for 20 years before finding the other place. Always had it tuned correctly. Piston and cylinder were perfect. I ran Stihl orange bottle oil and the leftover oil from my outboard motor from my fishing days.

I feel for the new guys getting into chainsaws that think they have to run to the motorcycle shop or their chainsaw is gonna blow up, it's simply not true.

Every 50:1 chainsaw death story you read on here is hardly accurate...

# 1 - your neighbor that brought you his blown up farm boss probably doesn't know a properly running chainsaw from his ass...why would he..he's not into it.

# 2 - he said he mixed his gas at 50:1 because that's what the bottles say...I've seen them measure out at 60:1 more than once, and you figure if it's cold and you're not getting the entire bottle dumped it may be 65-70 : 1

# 3 - his saw was lean as hell with a dull ass chain

# 4 - he was reefin on the handle from the dull chain..

# 5 - his gas was probably a year old and separated in his can...seen that a million times..

# 6 - kaboom.

I use my ratio rite and mix 50:1 for a bunch of equipment I have, it works fine. Especially with the better oils most of us run.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree 100 percent with you.
We have a few laughs and overthink everything.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

50:1 with a good oil on a saw with a sharp chain that has a proper tune and all other things in order is gonna last a very long time. I know...I watch it happen all the time.

I got wild on my last batch of gas and mixed 44:1, I was wondering if the internet would approve of my reckless behavior...

I threw my 40:1 only stickers away after Steve did his torture testing at 200, and 300:1. 50:1 is plenty of oil.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I threw my 40:1 only stickers away after Steve did his torture testing at 200, and 300:1. 50:1 is plenty of oil.
And my OCD arse still runs 40:1 lol. It was hard for me to move off 32:1 or 36:1 despite what we saw from all that torture testing. That big 1/5 scale race buggy will be 25:1 like the engine makers says. 20,000 RPM requires more oil. Why take a chance on an engine that cost more than many complete saws.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thing is I know I can make a saw or trimmer live on most oils at 50:1. I just can't bring myself to try it. My stuff makes the power I need and it's not dripping out the muffkin at 40:1 so I'm happy.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My dad supplied two households firewood for 20 years with a Stihl 031 av he bought new. Ran only Stihl orange bottle, at whatever the ratio was on the bottle, and the saw has never needed a rebuild and still has high enough compression to yank the pull handle right out your fingers.

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since we're getting all sensible and stuff here, I gots a question (and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but here goes):

I've been using Red Armor at 40:1. I just bought a bottle of Dominator. I also just bought a new 562. I'm fine with the new oil in the new saw, right?

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Since we're getting all sensible and stuff here, I gots a question (and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but here goes):

I've been using Red Armor at 40:1. I just bought a bottle of Dominator. I also just bought a new 562. I'm fine with the new oil in the new saw, right?
I'm sure the opinions vary wildly on that subject as well. Myself, I break in using heat cycles, several, on a full mineral or blend oil before switching to full synthetic. The first tank or two are also ran on the mineral. Its it "correct" to some? Don't give two poops if it is or isn't. It's how I learned from my 1/5 scale rc race days from engine builders and I do it on all new 2 strokes. Many just run them and that's fine too. Whatever works for them.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm coming swingin' my Husky XP+ 50:1 purse in my dick skinners, and it's a BFP...Big Fuggin Purse. Who wants some?...I'll buss ya damn head wide open!

Last edited:

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm coming swingin' my Husky XP+ 50:1 purse in my dick skinners, and it's a BFP...Big Fuggin Purse. Who wants some?..I'll buss ya damn head wide open!
Lol. It beat out many a bike oil in the lean tests. Now get to movin on with ya beatch satchel.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

that’s too reckless. Guess if I’m honest I still have my 55 I’ve ran gallons of boat oil through at 50:1. By gallons I mean gallons of oil.

If I’m honest the only reason I switched to 32:1 was I lost a saw at 40:1. I’d love to see someone test lucas 2 stroke out. Bet it doesn’t do well in a torture test.

since this thread has went to shi t with everyone being all logical today. Maybe it was just that oil.

@Egg Shooter you test that stuff???

im not a tuning wizard but my old stuff still has machine marks on the pistons. They’ve been used pretty hard. Cut a few acres of trees here and there. Cleared some lots. Obviously firewood detail for two concrete shops.

maybe we all trippin.