What oil is best? and what ratio?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran a few gallons of blue Mercury outboard 2 stroke oil through my 029. Never knew there was any difference. LOL
AND there were no issues inside.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
that’s too reckless. Guess if I’m honest I still have my 55 I’ve ran gallons of boat oil through at 50:1. By gallons I mean gallons of oil.

If I’m honest the only reason I switched to 32:1 was I lost a saw at 40:1. I’d love to see someone test lucas 2 stroke out. Bet it doesn’t do well in a torture test.

since this thread has went to shi t with everyone being all logical today. Maybe it was just that oil.

@Egg Shooter you test that stuff???

im not a tuning wizard but my old stuff still has machine marks on the pistons. They’ve been used pretty hard. Cut a few acres of trees here and there. Cleared some lots. Obviously firewood detail for two concrete shops.

maybe we all trippin.
I didn't test the Lucas because so many here said it was dry inside anything they used it in. Probably right in line with Stens synthetic.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I ran a few gallons of blue Mercury outboard 2 stroke oil through my 029. Never knew there was any difference. LOL
AND there were no issues inside.
Thats the thing. Most of us never had any issues with any oil until oil threads told us we did lol.

Last edited:

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oil issues are long turn. Stating an oil didn't blow your motor the first time you ran it is a pretty low bar.
Agreed. I ran two different oils, each many years without issue. 15 plus years each. That matters to me more than anything else. Im over a year and a few gallons of mix on Dominator. So far it checks all the boxes I want an oil to. I'll have no problem switching back if an oil related problem arises. I care less about the name on the bottle. It needs to do what I expect from it. Any products for that matter.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyhoo, I'm trying not to get sucked back into the oil soap opera. I shouldn't have even clicked the new posts button. I'm out...... again. Lol.

LouCi4er

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My best friend has a Stihl ms 211 he brought 10 ago.He is only running the red hp oil,only a 50:1 ratio and he is running this litlle pos like he really hates it.Needless to say piston and cylinder still looks like new.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I threw my 40:1 only stickers away after Steve did his torture testing at 200, and 300:1. 50:1 is plenty of oil.
I'm kind of glad I ran across this now. I've been running 40:1 (I try to get at least 3.2 oz of oil per gallon of gas) at the advice on this board to keep the heat down on my 395xp when milling, but I'm starting to think the real change was just me finally adjusting the carb to run a bit more rich. I'm not a smart guy, but wouldn't adding more oil to the gas actually make the saw run leaner, if not tuned? I only have one gas can for premix, right now, so I just tuned all my saws to run on the 40:1 mix. Just to be safe I'm also running two cycle oil for racing dirtbikes, but maybe that's not necessary? I'm thinking about changing over to a plant based 2t oil from a local-ish distributor. They sent me a sample, but it's only enough for a 50:1 on a full gallon of gas...

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just add less gas to the 1 gallon oil bottle. Like .75 gallon. It will result in a higher ratio of oil.
It's hard to tell with my metal cans how much fuel is really in there, but I'll probably just order a gallon of the plant based oil when I run out of the Maxima racing oil I'm using now. I also have most of a gallon of Penzoil marine two stroke oil I bought by mistake.