What oil is best? and what ratio?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tend to go by what the engine builder suggested.
Bottom line, you pay for your saw. Run what you feel is best.
I do.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tend to go by what the engine builder suggested.
Bottom line, you pay for your saw. Run what you feel is best.
I do.

It's ironic that the people that should worry about this the most don't and the people that shouldn't worry about it do...

I never could figure that part out...

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to mention at bare minimum most of these guys are running a saw with a muffler mod, not to mention a razor sharp chain..Less heat = less oil burned.

I still think it's funny that people think you need to run a motorcycle oil at 32:1 for your chainsaw to last :lol:

These guys make up sh!t to worry about :lol:

Some of my ported m-tronic saws still puke oil at 50:1 with boutique oil when not under a heavy load...I've even seen them do it with Red Armor.

Oh..and a good amount of that time they weren't running a razor sharp chain..another one of those real world things..

Stop it Sawmikaze..quit making cents.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's ironic that the people that should worry about this the most don't and the people that shouldn't worry about it do...

I never could figure that part out...
That’s a very good point. Loggers just run them. Arborists. Again just run em. We sit here fighting about which brand name oil.

I’ll just keep dumping some oil in my gas and running them.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Tests on snowmobiles and dirt bikes do not work for data for saws and weed eaters ,put 32 to 1 in your weed eater then 50 to 1 ,and you will see what I mean when you try to tune it.
These little engines more oil loses power like the 661 test showed,if you want to run a blubbering tool run more oil than it needs.
I've never noticed that to be the case.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
11:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to mention at bare minimum most of these guys are running a saw with a muffler mod, as well as a razor sharp chain..Less heat = less oil burned.

I still think it's funny that people think you need to run a motorcycle oil at 32:1 for your chainsaw to last :lol:

These guys make up sh!t to worry about :lol:

Some of my ported m-tronic saws still puke oil at 50:1 with boutique oil when not under a heavy load...I've even seen them do it with Red Armor.

Oh..and a good amount of that time they weren't running a razor sharp chain..another one of those real world things..
Word

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
How much more "real world" can one get?
Saws are made to cut wood.
I think we will agree to disagree here.
Real world via the feel o meter or a human activated stop watch isn't scientifically valid. And no one with any sort of critical thinking skills would think so.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Real world via the feel of meter or a human activated stop watch isn't scientifically valid. And no one with any sort of critical thinking skills would think so.
OK. SOOOO A dyno is better? More scientific?