What oil is best? and what ratio?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rich or lean is referring to the fuel/air ratio. Nothing to do with the oil. If you add more oil you are taking up the space that would have been gas, so therefore you have less gas and the same amount of air, so therefore it creates a leaner fuel/air ratio. Make sense?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
No. Because if I add more oil. I turn my screw out to add more mix into the combustion chamber. Therefor still not running lean.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another point. My saws are old. I’m not outta the game so to speak but I have every size saw I’ll ever “need”.

my 2 series saws have two different manuals. One for US one for everywhere else. I believe they recommend 32:1 in the same saw if not sold in us.

pretty confident they use the same carb regardless so you must be able to adjust for a bit more oil in the fuel mix.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Rich or lean is referring to the fuel/air ratio. Nothing to do with the oil. If you add more oil you are taking up the space that would have been gas, so therefore you have less gas and the same amount of air, so therefore it creates a leaner fuel/air ratio. Make sense?

We are pole vaulting over mouse turds here. A 20 degree change in temp will have more effect than a 1.2% change in oil ratio, which is the difference between 32:1 and 50:1

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't really know the variables...

It was an m-tronic 661...no tuning allowed...
For starters your assuming Mtronic controls very finely. It doesn't.
FWIW one would need a dyno to do such a test and one that included instrumentation for fuel flow and exhaust composition.
Regardless running more oil for me isn't about making a small amount of extra HP. It's about protecting your bearings and pistons from extreme conditions.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are pole vaulting over mouse turds here. A 20 degree change in temp will have more effect than a 1.2% change in oil ratio, which is the difference between 32:1 and 50:1
How big is the pile of mouse turds and how long is your vaulting pole? You have to have the correct lift to distance ratio. I'm not a pole vaulter so I will just let you carry on with this. I just like pie and stuff.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
cant see ur graffic jeffus. but i liked ur post anyway haha
Here. Lol
a6ee676bb1722767aa63196f70982a0d.jpg

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For starters your assuming Mtronic controls very finely. It doesn't.
FWIW one would need a dyno to do such a test and one that included instrumentation for fuel flow and exhaust composition.
Regardless running more oil for me isn't about making a small amount of extra HP. It's about protecting your bearings and pistons from extreme conditions.

I didn't assume anything.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tests on snowmobiles and dirt bikes do not work for data for saws and weed eaters ,put 32 to 1 in your weed eater then 50 to 1 ,and you will see what I mean when you try to tune it.
These little engines more oil loses power like the 661 test showed,if you want to run a blubbering tool run more oil than it needs.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tests on snowmobiles and dirt bikes do not work for data for saws and weed eaters ,put 32 to 1 in your weed eater then 50 to 1 ,and you will see what I mean when you try to tune it.
These little engines more oil loses power like the 661 test showed,if you want to run a blubbering tool run more oil than it needs.
How bout weed eater vs large saw? Considering large saw is fairly bigger

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Not to mention at bare minimum most of these guys are running a saw with a muffler mod, as well as a razor sharp chain..Less heat = less oil burned.

I still think it's funny that people think you need to run a motorcycle oil at 32:1 for your chainsaw to last :lol:

These guys make up sh!t to worry about :lol:

Some of my ported m-tronic saws still puke oil at 50:1 with boutique oil when not under a heavy load...I've even seen them do it with Red Armor.

Oh..and a good amount of that time they weren't running a razor sharp chain..another one of those real world things..

Last edited: