What oil is best? and what ratio?

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
11:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now the thing about 2R is the manufacturer of the oil has changed over the years, so it is possible the formula is now different than it was a few years ago. The newest MSDS from 2016 states Spectrum a Phillips 66 company. manufacturers the oil. the one from 07 says Citgo and lists the color of the oil as green.

Thanks. I haven't opened the oil to confirm colour, and may not if i'm going to return it, but it looks purpley red through the level window.

This is what i purchased, but no msds link. A google msds search shows it as a bluey/purple. So is the legendary 2R even available anymore?? It appears not, bugger.

https://shop.yamaha-motor.com.au/ac...ube/motorcycle/mc-engine-oils/ymd-65081-01-01

Adam.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I haven't opened the oil to confirm colour, and may not if i'm going to return it, but it looks purpley red through the level window.

This is what i purchased, but no msds link. A google msds search shows it as a bluey/purple. So is the legendary 2R even available anymore?? It appears not, bugger.

https://shop.yamaha-motor.com.au/ac...ube/motorcycle/mc-engine-oils/ymd-65081-01-01

Adam.

The stuff I use is purple looking. When mixed, it's more reddish though.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stuff I use is purple looking. When mixed, it's more reddish though.

My concern is Mr Randy that my saws do more waiting then working, so an ester based oil 'might' be more prone to corrosion issues yeah? Maybe i just go back to Husky XP, if it is still available here, last visit to the dealer only showed LS+.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Adam.
I can confirm its definitely reddish when mixed. Jolly good oil, it's what I've been using up until now. I've just purchased some Dominator to try so we'll see how that goes.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go on YouTube and look for Hotsaws 101. He does a long video on oils. His saws seem to run strong so maybe his oil opinions are rock solid too.
I watched part of that video last year. I couldn't finish it for some reason. Do you remember which oils he recommended?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can confirm its definitely reddish when mixed. Jolly good oil, it's what I've been using up until now. I've just purchased some Dominator to try so we'll see how that goes.

Rightio. So you have been using the 'angled' packaging 2R i picced a page or too back? I have no doubt it will lube, but its the storage issue i'm interested in. From your pics you will turn over a lot of mix on that gum.

Speaking of pics, nice profile pic. Skite.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rightio. So you have been using the 'angled' packaging 2R i picced a page or too back? I have no doubt it will lube, but its the storage issue i'm interested in. From your pics you will turn over a lot of mix on that gum.

Speaking of pics, nice profile pic. Skite.
Exactly the same packaging and bottle Adam, purchased from my local Yamaha dealer. I've gone through at least two litres of it now at 40:1. I'm tearing down my MS660 over the weekend which has been sitting for quite some time so will report back if I see any corrosion issues.

You should put a pic of your MMWS 346 up bro, that would be cool. :)

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly the same packaging and bottle Adam, purchased from my local Yamaha dealer. I've gone through at least two litres of it now at 40:1. I'm tearing down my MS660 over the weekend which has been sitting for quite some time so will report back if I see any corrosion issues.

You should put a pic of your MMWS 346 up bro, that would be cool. :)

Brag, sure. How?

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use RA, a little Klotz Benol, and a little Motul 800. I know use that fuel treatment I posted above, and I use STABIL when I buy my fuel.

Right now I tried VP oil at 50:1 to start, then added my Klotz and Motul to get to 36:1. I'm not really feelin this VP oil...
I know we’ve talked about this before, but I use a similar cocktail to yours Jeff. I mix it however I see fit. Haven’t had an issue yet, and my saws look great inside as well.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know we’ve talked about this before, but I use a similar cocktail to yours Jeff. I mix it however I see fit. Haven’t had an issue yet, and my saws look great inside as well.

Seems like a hell of a lot of trouble. What's wrong with just......oil?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get the best of all of them when ya mixem. Lol
At least I hope.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try it in your OPE. You might like it...