What oil is best? and what ratio?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bacon grease works well and cleans topends nice and clean for the guys that worry about kind of stuff.
That guy on YouTube has tried all kinds of weird stuff as oil in 2 and 4 strokes from honey to liquefied banana skins lol

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oils are a complex thing ya know lol
I sure as hell would never tell anyone I had bad blowby or seized and or had excessive load side piston skirt wear or even just blown out the bigend in a chainsaw running some expensive synthetic oil lol

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting test with the bacon grease, he never mentioned what the exhaust smelled like. I suppose he could have even used vegetable oil for the test. - When biodiesel is made from vegetable oil, it has superior lubricity in fuel injection systems. Actually, there is one vegetable oil that REALLY works to cut down wear, that's castor oil in either two or four-strokes.

I'll stick with my blue oil for the engine, but in a pinch I expect I could use bar oil.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting test with the bacon grease, he never mentioned what the exhaust smelled like. I suppose he could have even used vegetable oil for the test. - When biodiesel is made from vegetable oil, it has superior lubricity in fuel injection systems. Actually, there is one vegetable oil that REALLY works to cut down wear, that's castor oil in either two or four-strokes.

I'll stick with my blue oil for the engine, but in a pinch I expect I could use bar oil.
Yeah he's done vegetable oil and no surprise it works well..
Damb even mushed up bananas will get you over the line lol

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm glad you started the saber at a high ratio or you would have been at it for a long time. I would be curious of how other premium 2 cycle oils would perform at similar saber ratios. Ie.... 100:1 150:1 200:1 and so on. I believe bearings will always be the first to go especially on a plated bore.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After thinking about it, I'll keep using the Rec fuel to keep the ethanol out of the equation. I'll pick up 5 gallons just for test fuel in the near future. Mix one gallon at a time from that.

I talked to Chuck at Service saw in Oregon about this at length one day. His take on it was it wasn't ethanol that killed saws - it was idiots that killed saws. What he meant was it was poor maintenance or leaving the fuel stored too long, etc. People would come in blaming ethanol and then admit the fuel was 6 months old.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you need it I have 2 more of these saws in similar shape as the 1 you have there. Mine are 2.3ci or 33cc by the tags. I prolly have the bars and chains for them too. You can kill them if you want.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Appreciate the offer. Ill take you up on that. We can figure out logistics later. Be a bit before I can ruin this one.
No problem. I found 1 bar but no chains yet. I will dig them out. 1 thing is don't ruin the good carb you have there as both saws I have here won't clean out and run well with a new kit.