High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What oil is best? and what ratio?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok fellas. I've been thinking about this testing "show" I've started. I'm going to change things up for a few reasons. My original plan was to use new equipment so all the oils tested had as close to an equal test as possible. I got off track with the tiller and then I was getting ready to do that free saw. I'm going back to my original plan of using the cheapest, new string trimmers I can find. This accomplishes two things. One, all oils will be tested in same type, brand and condition equipment and I don't have to be hands on for the entire testing. I can strap them to a saw horse and let them rip with the throttle clamped wfo while I do other things. I can also put a pretty good load on them by removing the grass shield and running the line out extra long. It really can bog a trimmer down. Best of all I can do that with each one by moving the spool to the next test subject to keep said load equal. These cheap trimmers only have one main bearing to take the abuse so there is that as well. As mentioned b4, I don't burn wood. I only use saws for property maintenance and collecting. I use the smaller wood from that for back yard campfires and hot dog roasts. The stuff that is to fat and heavy for me I give to the neighbors who do heat with wood. Going out to cut wood for hours for these test isn't going to work for me for a couple reasons. One, I have other "stuff" to do in warm weather and most importantly is number two. Health limitations unfortunately. I've now had 5 major spine surgeries from neck to lower back. I'm still not fully recovered from the last one a few months ago. So thats why I'm a small, light weight saw guy and partly why I'm going back to the string trimmer route. After reading all of this and the AS oil thread I've gotten an idea on the oils that rise to the top based on people's use of them. Ill start with the top five. Not top because I think any are better than others, top because they seemed to be the most used. Here is my initial list of oils ill test once I can get all this purchased and set up....

Amsoil Saber
Motul 800 Off-road
Echo Red Armor
Yamalube 2R
Maxima K2

I know there are some other favorites like a non castor Klotz, Amsoil Dominator, Shaffers, Honda ect. Hopefully I can get to those eventually. So have patience gents. It will happen barring any more life changing surgeries or other unforseen *s-worde happens type deals that crop up.
Buy a 241 and mod it. Sell your heavy saws.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have anyone tried Lucas semisyntetic 2 stroke oil. And how did it work?

It works okay when you’re running at 20-32:1. If left in storage long it leaves a dry white film. I’ve used it and never seized one or seen excessive wear on anything. But don’t store them for a month or longer with it in them.

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It works okay when you’re running at 20-32:1. If left in storage long it leaves a dry white film. I’ve used it and never seized one or seen excessive wear on anything. But don’t store them for a month or longer with it in them.
Ok. I will follow your advice. Thank you..

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a case and a half of the Dolmar oil too, and a case of the old Red Armor.
Both have been just fine for me. I run the Dolmar oil at 40:1 in my saws, and the Red Armor at 50:1 in my blowers and trimmers.

I wouldn't be scared of 60:1 with the dolmar in my trimmer. It pukes oil out the exhaust even at 50:1

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMHO, it’s the worst 2cycle oil I’ve ever used
I lost a saw crank using it. Excessive wear. Bearing in crank got loose enough to slap the top of the cylinder. The ring stuck and the saw lost all compression. I checked all my other saws the exhaust side was dry as a bone. that oil is garbage. If my tune was off it was way off on everything else I checked as well. Haven’t had that issue since I changed to anything else on sale