High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What oil is best? and what ratio?

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have no agenda. Just stating Red Armor isn't the be all, end all, holy grail oil on the market...there isn't one, but you just can't run one tank and call it great. And call BS on multiple Ultra failures.

Maybe thats all people in your area use and can't tune OPE? Idk but there is no way Ultra is failing that many times and still sitting on shelves in Stihl dealers.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no agenda. Just stating Red Armor isn't the be all, end all, holy grail oil on the market...there isn't one, but you just can't run one tank and call it great. And call BS on multiple Ultra failures.

Maybe thats all people in your area use and can't tune OPE? Idk but there is no way Ultra is failing that many times and still sitting on shelves in Stihl dealers.
#1 -Who said I was talkin about u? #2 -Ive ran more than 1 tank of RA #3 -I take equipment apart DAILY thats ran Ultra that looks like pure shi*! The oil sucks, Ive posted of pics. Of equipment and what it will do in unqualified hands,#4- Now where is your experience with Stihl Ultra other than feeding it through equipment and having no clue what its actually doing internally? #5- If u dont care what the oil is doing internally and it gets the job done and any oil will do why do u want to read this thread? #5 would be the question Im most curious about

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If the oil is that sensitive to tune and use its sorry oil and they should take it off the market IMO

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it's the gas that sucks, more than the oil. Or possibly a combination of the 2
Doesn't make sense that one oil works well for some people and not others. TM stated this year's ago

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it's the gas that sucks, more than the oil. Or possibly a combination of the 2
Doesn't make sense that one oil works well for some people and not others. TM stated this year's ago
I think so too but some oils simply work better than other and surely better than Stihl. It plugs valves, exhaust ports, and arrestor screens way too easily. Ive seen alot of equipment ran on cheap oil look better than ran on Ultra. I make it a point to ask customers what oil they run and here they say whatever the store down the road has or Stihl

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think so too but some oils simply work better than other and surely better than Stihl. It plugs valves, exhaust ports, and arrestor screens way too easily. Ive seen alot of equipment ran on cheap oil look better than ran on Ultra. I make it a point to ask customers what oil they run and here they say whatever the store down the road has or Stihl
So maybe Stihl oil when used with gas in your area leads to carbon build up, where the same oil used with gas from, say, Iowa or Virginia leads to a cleaner engine. And red armor or kl200 react better to the gas available in your area.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So maybe Stihl oil when used with gas in your area leads to carbon build up, where the same oil used with gas from, say, Iowa or Virginia leads to a cleaner engine. And red armor or kl200 react better to the gas available in your area.
Cant say one way or the other. Somethings not right but for sure everyone down here isnt gettin fuel from the same place. Could be the gas but Ive heard too many testimonies from lots of other people other than my area of how nasty of a mess the oil can make. Its definetely not a clean burning oil in most cases Ive seen but in some equupment Ive seen it burn clean. The husky 181 and a Stihl 361 Ive rebuilt in the last 3 days were both ran on Ultra at 50to1 and clean as can be but both had lean seizures but no air leaks and clean filters

DSS

widebody
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I remember not that many years ago that Ultra was considered the go to oil for cleaning the carbon out of an engine. Now it's garbage.

Hmmmmmm....

I've never used it,and have no desire to, good or bad. My stuff don't blow or carbon up. I'm happy.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
When I lived at the coast I used to buy my 2 stroke oil by the 5 gallon pail, for my boat, it was made by mercruiser.
Well I had a 1/2 a pail left, so have been using it in all my 2 stroke stuff,, I had no side effects and no failures no plugged screen etc, I know your not supposed to use WC stuff in air cooled stuff but WTF I had the oil,, used it 40/1 so much for all the good oil bad oil stuff,,,,,

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never used it,and have no desire to, good or bad.

Same here. I've never used it either.

Ben recommended that I try Yamalube when this thread was young. I did.......and I like that it works well in all my stuff. From AT saws, to weedwackers.......I mix it at 40:1 and don't think about it any further.

Now........anytime I've seen Husky Silver, or Stihl Ultra used at anything heavier than 50:1, it was messy. Those oils are designed to be used at 50:1......and they work well at that ratio.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here. I've never used it either.

Ben recommended that I try Yamalube when this thread was young. I did.......and I like that it works well in all my stuff. From AT saws, to weedwackers.......I mix it at 40:1 and don't think about it any further.

Now........anytime I've seen Husky Silver, or Stihl Ultra used at anything heavier than 50:1, it was messy. Those oils are designed to be used at 50:1......and they work well at that ratio.
Bike oil dot dot dot .......

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I remember not that many years ago that Ultra was considered the go to oil for cleaning the carbon out of an engine. Now it's garbage.

Hmmmmmm....

I've never used it,and have no desire to, good or bad. My stuff don't blow or carbon up. I'm happy.
I'm pretty sure your ass is not carbon free.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine was quicksilver stuff. Wish I'd kept the old bottle. The ratio on the back of the jugs called for the wrong amount of oil to gas. I forget now what they recommended but they were calling it 50:1. With my math it was closer to just guessing around 42:1
The bottles I used that were quick silver were designed for the 6 gallon fuel tanks.
I was a commercial fisherman for about 10 years, I never had any oil related issues with any of my boat engines.