I've used this. It was quiet and lasted for cutting grass
a17a4be198c6736548b6194db6344e7e.jpg

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I use the .105 in my FR350's but I'm sure I could use .130 no problem as the power is there .

Just looked at a job today that involves clearing out the front 100 feet of 4 1 acre lots of brush and some trees as well as 2 2 acre lots so about 4 acres to clear total .
These lots are all service but were on hold for years due to stupidity from the township and the natural resources but the owner just got the green light to sell them so they need clearing and cleaning up .
Be renting a big chipper to clean up all the stuff once it's down , pretty thick and nasty in places . Should be some decent firewood as a bonus , maple and some Ash mostly , no evergreens .

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think some of the mixed results we see with the high temp oils are just due to how they are being run. If not run hard you get build up etc.

That is one of the reasons I like HP2 - it's a mid temp but high viscosity. So in my mind that would mean it would burn well when saw is idling and the high viscosity (18 vs something like ultra 8) will protect at max output.

that said my jury is still out until I do the oil test. I don't think it'll decide a ratio to use. But I think there will be a few oils which prevail as fastest and show a trend/pattern giving us an idea of an ideal operating temp.
Viscosity is a measure of how easy an oil combusts. As viscosity goes up so does its ability to resist combustion.
The flaw here is using flash point as a measure of the temperature the base oil combusts. This isn't what flash point is.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Viscosity is a measure of how easy an oil combusts. As viscosity goes up so does its ability to resist combustion.
The flaw here is using flash point as a measure of the temperature the base oil combusts. This isn't what flash point is.
Ben what would u consider prime range on the viscosity for saws, (firewood), trimmers, blowers, ope in general? How about milling?

Last edited:

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With a high viscosity oil wouldnt using a higher ratio or less oil aid combustion?

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

The viscosity of a fluid is a measure of its resistance to gradual deformation by shear stress or tensile stress.[1] For liquids, it corresponds to the informal concept of "thickness"; for example, honey has a much higher viscosity than water.[2]

Viscosity is a property of the fluid which opposes the relative motion between the two surfaces of the fluid in a fluid that are moving at different velocities. When the fluid is forced through a tube, the particles which compose the fluid generally move more quickly near the tube's axis and more slowly near its walls; therefore some stress (such as a pressure difference between the two ends of the tube) is needed to overcome the friction between particle layers to keep the fluid moving. For a given velocity pattern, the stress required is proportional to the fluid's viscosity.

A fluid that has no resistance to shear stress is known as an ideal or inviscid fluid. Zero viscosity is observed only at very low temperatures in superfluids. Otherwise, all fluids have positive viscosity, and are technically said to be viscous or viscid. In common parlance, however, a liquid is said to be viscous if its viscosity is substantially greater than that of water, and may be described as mobile if the viscosity is noticeably less than water. A fluid with a relatively high viscosity, such as pitch, may appear to be a solid.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

The viscosity of a fluid is a measure of its resistance to gradual deformation by shear stress or tensile stress.[1] For liquids, it corresponds to the informal concept of "thickness"; for example, honey has a much higher viscosity than water.[2]

Viscosity is a property of the fluid which opposes the relative motion between the two surfaces of the fluid in a fluid that are moving at different velocities. When the fluid is forced through a tube, the particles which compose the fluid generally move more quickly near the tube's axis and more slowly near its walls; therefore some stress (such as a pressure difference between the two ends of the tube) is needed to overcome the friction between particle layers to keep the fluid moving. For a given velocity pattern, the stress required is proportional to the fluid's viscosity.

A fluid that has no resistance to shear stress is known as an ideal or inviscid fluid. Zero viscosity is observed only at very low temperatures in superfluids. Otherwise, all fluids have positive viscosity, and are technically said to be viscous or viscid. In common parlance, however, a liquid is said to be viscous if its viscosity is substantially greater than that of water, and may be described as mobile if the viscosity is noticeably less than water. A fluid with a relatively high viscosity, such as pitch, may appear to be a solid.

Same here

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may be wrong but I dont think Ben was referring to viscosities definition but as a better indicator of combustion vs using flash point as the indicator when choosing oil by label

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just checked with my echo dealer on red armor pricing. I bought a 13 oz bottle a while ago but they don't stock that now. All bottles labeled Shindiawa.

6.4oz $2.95 or $15.95 x6
2.6oz $1.99 or $11.25 x6

How does that compare?

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just checked with my echo dealer on red armor pricing. I bought a 13 oz bottle a while ago but they don't stock that now. All bottles labeled Shindiawa.

6.4oz $2.95 or $15.95 x6
2.6oz $1.99 or $11.25 x6

How does that compare?

Shindaiwa is the older stuff, now it's labeled Echo. Maybe they're selling older stock at a reduced price.

Last edited:

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

6.4oz $2.95 or $15.95 x6
2.6oz $1.99 or $11.25 x6

How does that compare?
38.4oz for 15 is really good