What oil is best? and what ratio?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm, people must be wearing it as cologne as well these days. Its all I smell in public lately.
It's still illegal here but I do get a whiff of it from time to time while out in public.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen standard oil filters swapped boxes with a tough guard or a synthetic filter in big box stores before. I always check em if they aren’t sealed boxes before I buy.
Also I reckon a ram horn pipe will actually remove the ethanol from the fuel for a more optimum burn friends…
By removing the ethanol you’re also lowering the octane.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By removing the ethanol you’re also lowering the octane.
And I guess I should mention that I was saying the last part in jest. But yes if you start with a fuel with ethanol in it, removing the ethanol will lower the octane. I’m lucky to have a few pumps around me with 90 non eth fuel. (Several lakes to fish around here)

Tomos770

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an issue a couple years ago with some older Dolmar synthetic mix at 40:1 with 91 octane non-ethanol. Unless I got bad gas or something. A couple of saws started running like crap and pretty much quit. I noticed that my fuel filters were really dark colored, so I changed them and I think cleaned the carbs also. Fresh gas with different oil and they ran fine. It was definitely the fuel, whether it was the gas or oil I can't say for sure.
Its far from your state....but you never know...

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its far from your state....but you never know...

Sounds like "recycling." But without the government tax burden.

"Environmental justice communities." 🤣
They should call it a "no balls zone."

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone run Dominator in an outboard motor?
I just bought a 15HP Mercury 2 stroke and the only oil I have on hand is Dominator, I should probably go get sone TCW3 but I am being lazy and dont feel like driving to town.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just bought a 15HP Mercury 2 stroke and the only oil I have on hand is Dominator, I should probably go get sone TCW3 but I am being lazy and dont feel like driving to town.

I ran dominator in my 30hp Mariner last time I had it out. Engine didn't blow up and moved the fishing boat as good as it ever did

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

DOMINATOR® is recommended for use in high-performance stock or modified two-cycle engines, including air- or liquidcooled snowmobiles, personal watercraft, motorcycles (moto X), ATVs, go-carts and outboard motors*.

* Not suitable for long-term use in outboard motors as a TC-W3-type oil, although excellent as a race oil for short-term use where motors are periodically inspected.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
DOMINATOR® is recommended for use in high-performance stock or modified two-cycle engines, including air- or liquidcooled snowmobiles, personal watercraft, motorcycles (moto X), ATVs, go-carts and outboard motors*.

* Not suitable for long-term use in outboard motors as a TC-W3-type oil, although excellent as a race oil for short-term use where motors are periodically inspected.
It’s not “recommended” for chainsaws either, yet look at the results.. Just sayin!

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The trouble with running an oil like that in a standard outboard is a typical outboard max rpm is 5500-6000 and run around 160° F hot. Over time you would be building up a lot of carbon. But a short run with it probably won’t hurt anything.
I don’t know if you’ve ever noticed the ammonia smell of a tc-w3 oil but that is to help clean the combustion chamber and exhaust ports at lower temps that outboards run.
Again won’t hurt for a short period but over time I would only run tc-w3.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pay $15/qt for Amsoil Saber. At least I did the last time I bought it. Last year I ran Echo Red Armor and Husqvarna XP+ to see how they did. Everything I run is mixed 40:1 in 90 octane ethanol free gas.

L8R,
Matt
How did you like the red armor…trying it out now and pleasantly surprised with it…

AnthemBassMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How did you like the red armor…trying it out now and pleasantly surprised with it…
I liked it, but it almost costs twice as much as the Saber. Red Armor is $12/pt around here and Saber was $15/qt. But it is an excellent oil. Here’s a pic of the exhaust port and piston on my Husqvarna 128LD. This was taken after I was running it very hard using the cultivator attachment to till a small garden in my backyard. This trimmer is four years old and I’ve also used my pole saw attachment to clear off a long bank of wrist/forearm size black locust. I don’t abuse it, but I don’t baby it either. If I could find Red Armor at a better price, I would have no problem sticking with it.
IMG_3412.jpeg
Edit: Just a note that I’ve never cleaned the exhaust port on this trimmer. Using a quality oil mix and not letting it sit idling for long periods goes a long way in keeping things clear.
L8R,
Matt

Last edited: