Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that map is old. Busch Light is by far the most popular beer in local establishments and ditches around here in the SE MN, western WI, and NE Iowa area.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be Wisconsin. Awesome Brewery. Spotted Cow is a great beer except you can only get it in Wisconsin. Whatever they are doing is fine with me!
So it is. My mistake. Can't tell my mittens from my looks like a deformed hand.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
2:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Around here, the high octane cheap beers have nearly displaced malt liquor as the cheap suds favored by the gutter crowd. They actually cost less and have more alcohol. Plus, you won't break the aluminum can when you stumble and it can be recycled afterward for more beer money. I really don't remember the last time I saw a beggar drinking a traditional 40 of Old E or Magnum.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around here, the high octane cheap beers have nearly displaced malt liquor as the cheap suds favored by the gutter crowd. They actually cost less and have more alcohol. Plus, you won't break the aluminum can when you stumble and it can be recycled afterward for more beer money. I really don't remember the last time I saw a beggar drinking a traditional 40 of Old E or Magnum.
Yeah none of that exists around here really. Occasionally youll see mickeys ice in a party store, sometimes king cobra but pretty rare

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that map is old. Busch Light is by far the most popular beer in local establishments and ditches around here in the SE MN, western WI, and NE Iowa area.
The local Walmart says Busch light is their #1 seller followed by Spotted Cow. When I see a husband and wife in the parking lot each pushing carts filled with Spotted Cow I immediately know they‘re from out of state!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The local Walmart says Busch light is their #1 seller followed by Spotted Cow. When I see a husband and wife in the parking lot each pushing carts filled with Spotted Cow I immediately know they‘re from out of state!
My former pastor who was from Wisco would always bring me back some Spotted Cow just because! We used to enjoy a couple cold ones in the garage now and then.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On another note: my old neighbor who owned a liquor store at the time told me this about 15 years ago: that Busch Light would sell 200 cases to 1 of any other light beer he carried. He then told me the Anheuser Busch sales rep told him that our 5 county area (Winona, Houston, Fillmore Co’s in MN and Buffalo, Trempealeau Co’s in Wisco just across the river) drank more Busch Light than the rest of the country combined...

I’m sure that’s changed a lot since then, and it seems that Busch Light is available pert-near everywhere now, when back then it wasn’t. Kind of like Michelob Golden Draft Light - people that visited our area and tasted it always wanted to take cases back with them. A buddy of mine actually had to start taking cases with him out west for snowmobiling trips just to please the locals that couldn’t buy it.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah none of that exists around here really. Occasionally youll see mickeys ice in a party store, sometimes king cobra but pretty rare

Mmmm, Mickey's. Put away many of those little green bottles in college. Mickey's was never really cheap around here, it always cost the same as Bud/Miller/Coors. Little Kings cream ale is da bomb, pretty rare that you can find it. A few bars on the wrong side of the tracks actually kept it on draft.

Around 2000, we started to get a super high test (like 8.5%) swill called Steel Reserve and it was absurdly cheap, like .79 cents for a 24 ounce can. All the street drunks immediately switched to it and you can imagine the ensuing consequences. I remember articles in the paper calling for cracking down on Steel Reserve and similar products. It never happened here, but some other cities did reinterpret nuisance ordinances to crack down on shops that sold large quantities of it.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Busch is one of those brands that can't decide if it's a normal priced marquee brand like Bud/Miller/Coors or a value brand like Milwaukee's Best or Natty. It goes up and down in price and advertising constantly. Currently it costs the same as the big 3 around here, but still occupies the bargain shelf next to Natty.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Busch is one of those brands that can't decide if it's a normal priced marquee brand like Bud/Miller/Coors or a value brand like Milwaukee's Best or Natty. It goes up and down in price and advertising constantly. Currently it costs the same as the big 3 around here, but still occupies the bargain shelf next to Natty.
Same here. Which is honestly why I rarely buy it. I like it, but not the price. And I usually keep Busch or Coors in my fridge for when guests are over. It seems many won’t drink Old Mil Light - until they try it! There’s an unfortunate stigma around that because it’s cheap, it must taste bad. They are so wrong. I’ve converted a few people once they actually try a cold one.. whoops, looks like I hijacked this one a bit..

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here. Which is honestly why I rarely buy it. I like it, but not the price. And I usually keep Busch or Coors in my fridge for when guests are over. It seems many won’t drink Old Mil Light - until they try it! There’s an unfortunate stigma around that because it’s cheap, it must taste bad. They are so wrong. I’ve converted a few people once they actually try a cold one.. whoops, looks like I hijacked this one a bit..
I gets down with it. I like it. Hard to find here. I can get old Milwaukee red cans. Kinda like them better anyhow but if I chose to down a dozen the blue can is the better choice lol