High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What happens to premix oil in the saw?

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
7:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That's not true. Straight mineral oil will protect against corrosion. It won't neutralize combustion related acids, but it will protect against moisture.
Esters break down pretty easily when exposed to water and some attract water. That's why they were used in some marine products advertised as bio degradable.
Interesting. Mobil and Amsoil both say oils have no rust protection unless added via additive packages

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Interesting. Mobil and Amsoil both say oils have no rust protection unless added via additive packages
Hell, what I read may have been in reference to synthetic oil. I don't use anything conventional anymore and have little interest in them. I'll see if I can find what I had read.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hell, what I read may have been in reference to synthetic oil. I don't use anything conventional anymore and have little interest in them. I'll see if I can find what I had read.
Fogging oil doesn't have an additive package other than some solvent to thin it out the oil so it can be applied.
Which brings up another point. As easy as it is to give a motor a squirt of fogging oil prior to storage why not just do it and not worry about corrosion?

Last edited:

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Fogging oil doesn't have an additive package other than some solvent to thin it out the oil so it can be applied.
Which brings up another point. As easy as it is to give a motor a squirt of fogging oil prior to storage why not just do it and not worry about corrosion?
Lol. I do fog equipment I don't use very often.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I started that a couple years ago now after I had more old saws than I could keep up with running.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What I thought I read was what I had read. Oil companies / blenders claim motor oil has little to no rust and corrosion protection without additives. Here are two examples from two different oil companies..
Screenshot_20210513-072750~2.png

Screenshot_20210513-065430~3.png

I can't imagine all the others don't know this as well.

In my digging around last night I found articles related to piston aircraft as well and their oils that I found interesting. My friend Lance's dad owns two planes and confirmed what I read. Basically, air-cooled Piston aircraft engines use a straight mineral oil as it comes from the refinery in the weight required by the engine manufacturer, or mineral oil with AD (ashless dispersants) additives. The straight mineral is for break-in and the AD oil for flying, although some engines require AD for break-in and flying. Anyway, when a plane goes into storage over winter or even if its going to set idle for more than a couple weeks any time of the year, they have to drain the AD oil and put an aviation anti rust oil in because the AD will not protect from rust and corrosion. They run the engine up to temp to circulate the anti rust oil and store the plane with capped exhaust nand intake to minimize air and moisture getting into the engine.

All of this mineral oil rust protection really doesn't effect me anyway as I haven't used conventional oils in 4 cycles since the early 90's and as of close to two years now I think its been, I use synthetic 2 stroke oil. Not going to get into an internet pissing match over oil but I'll believe the oil companies statements on their own products.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I see this is going to be another normal oil thread therefore I'm out. Lol.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why not just run the anti corrosion oil in planes all the time?
My buddies dad with the two planes didn't know why either. Just confirmed that article I posted above to be pretty spot on. He has a Cessna top wing and something else.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why not just run the anti corrosion oil in planes all the time?
Because anti corrosion additives are calcium and magnesium based typicaly and aircraft engines must be run on ashless oils. IE they can not contain mettalic additives.

Last edited:

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What I thought I read was what I had read. Oil companies / blenders claim motor oil has little to no rust and corrosion protection without additives. Here are two examples from two different oil companies..
View attachment 294423

View attachment 294424

I can't imagine all the others don't know this as well.

In my digging around last night I found articles related to piston aircraft as well and their oils that I found interesting. My friend Lance's dad owns two planes and confirmed what I read. Basically, air-cooled Piston aircraft engines use a straight mineral oil as it comes from the refinery in the weight required by the engine manufacturer, or mineral oil with AD (ashless dispersants) additives. The straight mineral is for break-in and the AD oil for flying, although some engines require AD for break-in and flying. Anyway, when a plane goes into storage over winter or even if its going to set idle for more than a couple weeks any time of the year, they have to drain the AD oil and put an aviation anti rust oil in because the AD will not protect from rust and corrosion. They run the engine up to temp to circulate the anti rust oil and store the plane with capped exhaust nand intake to minimize air and moisture getting into the engine.

All of this mineral oil rust protection really doesn't effect me anyway as I haven't used conventional oils in 4 cycles since the early 90's and as of close to two years now I think its been, I use synthetic 2 stroke oil. Not going to get into an internet pissing match over oil but I'll believe the oil companies statements on their own products.
Yea, I dont buy that. For starters oil in and of itself forms a barrier. That's why guys wipe down blued steel guns with mineral oil.
And example is Ballistol. The stuff is basically straight mineral oil and it works.
For curiosity sake where did you find that quote?

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if oil makes more power when it burns...
Two cycle oil always burns to varying degrees and oil will have a higher BTU content than gasoline. However this is a gross simplification and there are a variety of factors at play that must be considered.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two cycle oil always burns to varying degrees and oil will have a higher BTU content than gasoline. However this is a gross simplification and there are a variety of factors at play that must be considered.
Good 'nuff for me. Thanks

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I can say is I've felt the difference in certain oils at the same ratio effecting throttle response / snappiness.
If we want to split hairs, or get every last bit, it would seem timed cuts or a dyno would be in order. Send all your leftover oil test oils to @Red97 :D