High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What happens to premix oil in the saw?

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yea, I dont buy that. For starters oil in and of itself forms a barrier. That's why guys wipe down blued steel guns with mineral oil.
And example is Ballistol. The stuff is basically straight mineral oil and it works.
For curiosity sake where did you find that quote?
One quote was from the Amsoil site. Can't remember the other. It appears Phillips 66 knows this and other makers of oil for piston powered aircraft or they wouldn't make a special oil for them for storage. That said, this "motor oil has no rust and corrosion fighting ability without additives" deal is a relatively recent bit of news to me. I had always assumed it did because....oil. My first learning of it was from Mobil oil. I watch a guy on the YouTube who's channel is Engineering Explained. He partnered up with Mobil to do a multi part series on motor oils. He has direct access to the lubrication engineering department and test cells ect. In one of those presentations is where I first heard this. So I dug around a bit, found a couple other companies saying similar things and left it at that. I kinda forgot about it until this thread derailment lol. As far as gun oils, I could probably keep mine from rusting with cooking oil. They live in an air conditioned / heated house and get wiped down every use. As far as whats in said gun oils or even fogging oil, no clue. Never cared enough to look nore do I now. Speaking of fogging oil, had it not been for extra amount of saws I have collected, I wouldn't even use it.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If we want to split hairs, or get every last bit, it would seem timed cuts or a dyno would be in order. Send all your leftover oil test oils to @Red97 :D
I think that has been done by redbull66. He's the reason many people stopped using Belray oil because it made the saws slower in timed cuts. As far as Red97, that guy probably has plenty to keep himself busy already lol.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
One quote was from the Amsoil site. Can't remember the other. It appears Phillips 66 knows this and other makers of oil for piston powered aircraft or they wouldn't make a special oil for them for storage. That said, this "motor oil has no rust and corrosion fighting ability without additives" deal is a relatively recent bit of news to me. I had always assumed it did because....oil. My first learning of it was from Mobil oil. I watch a guy on the YouTube who's channel is Engineering Explained. He partnered up with Mobil to do a multi part series on motor oils. He has direct access to the lubrication engineering department and test cells ect. In one of those presentations is where I first heard this. So I dug around a bit, found a couple other companies saying similar things and left it at that. I kinda forgot about it until this thread derailment lol. As far as gun oils, I could probably keep mine from rusting with cooking oil. They live in an air conditioned / heated house and get wiped down every use. As far as whats in said gun oils or even fogging oil, no clue. Never cared enough to look nore do I now. Speaking of fogging oil, had it not been for extra amount of saws I have collected, I wouldn't even use it.
I'd take anything amsoil says with a grain of salt. They push the falex gear oil test for two stroke oils too.
And I am not sure Phillip's is saying the same thing as Amsoil.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As far as gun oils, I could probably keep mine from rusting with cooking oil. They live in an air conditioned / heated house and get wiped down every use. As far as whats in said gun oils or even fogging oil, no clue. Never cared enough to look nore do I now. Speaking of fogging oil, had it not been for extra amount of saws I have collected, I wouldn't even use it.
No doubt cooking oil would do the trick, because most oils do indeed create a barrier to corrosion.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As in just right, right on the edge of too lean, yes?
Yes, although would say lean in any degree is too lean. This is because as you go leaner you lose torque in a two stroke. In a chain saw you pretty much have to tune them fat so they cut well, which is why the four stroking sound tuning method works well.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think that has been done by redbull66. He's the reason many people stopped using Belray oil because it made the saws slower in timed cuts. As far as Red97, that guy probably has plenty to keep himself busy already lol.
Redbulls test results test matched my expiereance with H1R.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd take anything amsoil says with a grain of salt. They push the falex gear oil test for two stroke oils too.
And I am not sure Phillip's is saying the same thing as Amsoil.
Are you referring to the 4 ball testing machine?

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Are you referring to the 4 ball testing machine?
Yes, the four ball test. Which is an industry standard for testing EP gear oils, not two or four stroke oils. To Amsoils credit they have dispensed with some of the BS they used in their marketing.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, the four ball test. Which is an industry standard for testing EP gear oils, not two or four stroke oils. To Amsoils credit they have dispensed with some of the BS they used in their marketing.

You do realize there are two types of 4 ball wear testers right? One for measuring ep fluids and grease and one for testing wear protection in lubricating oils. There is also ASTM testing standards for both. See link below.

http://www.falex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Falex-4BallWear-6page.pdf

Falex also lists these ASTM testing standards, for both machines, farther down on the last page of the PDF. Il

Below are pictures from the Falex PDF
The last picture is from Amsoil. If a person reads both paragraphs they can see they are being transparent about the testing.Screenshot_20210517-075028~2.png Screenshot_20210517-080133~2.png Screenshot_20210517-075428~2.png Screenshot_20210517-075239~2.png Screenshot_20210517-082413~2.png

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I also had a buch of oils given to me by a friend when I was testing oils. One I still have here. Its old Amsoil Dominator before it was called Dominator. Listed there is the ASTM number. That's a 2 stroke oil test procedure.

https://standards.globalspec.com/std/1613232/ASTM D4863

Not the 4 ball test you indicated they used to "push" for 2 strokes.
IMG_20210515_172323484_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20210515_172314727~2.jpg

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For me, the 4 ball test is just another data point for comparisons sake regardless if it's not a motor oil test. I put more importance on other ASTM tests anyway, like TBN, Noack Volatility, Viscosity index ect, all of which Amsoil also use and promote in their marketing.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You do realize there are two types of 4 ball wear testers right? One for measuring ep fluids and grease and one for testing wear protection in lubricating oils. There is also ASTM testing standards for both. See link below.

http://www.falex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Falex-4BallWear-6page.pdf

Falex also lists these ASTM testing standards, for both machines, farther down on the last page of the PDF. Il

Below are pictures from the Falex PDF
The last picture is from Amsoil. If a person reads both paragraphs they can see they are being transparent about the testing.View attachment 294848 View attachment 294849 View attachment 294850 View attachment 294851 View attachment 294852
I am aware.