High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What happens to premix oil in the saw?

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
For me, the 4 ball test is just another data point for comparisons sake regardless if it's not a motor oil test. I put more importance on other ASTM tests anyway, like TBN, Noack Volatility, Viscosity index ect, all of which Amsoil also use and promote in their marketing.
Those tests save vi have very little to no relevance in a two stroke.
And amsoil absolutely did use the four ball ep test to hype two cycle oils at one time.
Which isn't exactly surprising as they are a marketing company and have never produced a drop of two cycle oil.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
3:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Those tests save vi have very little to no relevance in a two stroke.
And amsoil absolutely did use the four ball ep test to hype two cycle oils at one time.
Which isn't exactly surprising as they are a marketing company and have never produced a drop of two cycle oil.

No amout of googling shows a 4 ball test for 2 cycle oils that I could find. Give us a link. I'll happily stand corrected. 4 cycle motor oils, yes. They definetly use that standard as part of their advertising.
I mentioned those other tests becauce you threw a blanket over 4 and 2 stroke oils, not just 2 cycle with regards to Amsoil using that
method. Those other tests are relevant to 4 cycle motor oils.

AMSOIL is a blender, no different from Ashland (Valvoline), Eneos, Royal Purple, Fuchs, Motul...etc. There are very few oil companies that produce all of their product in-house, particularly for all grades. Mobil is one, Shell is another. BP doesn't produce PAO, so any oil grade that contains it, like Castrol 0w-40, is using a base sourced from somebody else like ExxonMobil or CP. Similarly, additive packages are produced by a small group of players with the two biggest ones likely being Lubrizol and Infineum, the latter which is a joint venture between Shell and Mobil.

My issue with this is how the how and the why you responded with the "Amsoil.....grain of salt" quote. I care less what you think or feel about Amsoil or any other company. I don't sell it or make a cent from it. I do however like people to see the whole story not a 1/2 truth used disqualify a source used for another point. Aka the no oil naturally prevents rust in an engine point. The fact you use the "Amsoil uses the 4 ball test therefore has no bearing on the subject" is kinda underhanded. That company has been around longer than you have been alive. They didn't survive by not delivering on the claims. You get sued out of existence. Hell Mobil sued Castrol over claiming Syntec was full synthetic while using class 3 base stocks to produce it. They lost and started doing the same thing. That's ok though. They are a real oil company. The whole truth is, yes Amsoil uses a modified 4 ball wear test for 4 stroke motor oils and they also explain the how and the why clearly on their web site. This will be the last I respond to you because its a loosing battle. It's just going to drag the threads down. I know how you operate, Mr. Ben Walker, from reading every single post in the AS oil thread and the one here. You being wrong isn't an option.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
No amout of googling shows a 4 ball test for 2 cycle oils that I could find. Give us a link. I'll happily stand corrected. 4 cycle motor oils, yes. They definetly use that standard as part of their advertising.
I mentioned those other tests becauce you threw a blanket over 4 and 2 stroke oils, not just 2 cycle with regards to Amsoil using that
method. Those other tests are relevant to 4 cycle motor oils.

AMSOIL is a blender, no different from Ashland (Valvoline), Eneos, Royal Purple, Fuchs, Motul...etc. There are very few oil companies that produce all of their product in-house, particularly for all grades. Mobil is one, Shell is another. BP doesn't produce PAO, so any oil grade that contains it, like Castrol 0w-40, is using a base sourced from somebody else like ExxonMobil or CP. Similarly, additive packages are produced by a small group of players with the two biggest ones likely being Lubrizol and Infineum, the latter which is a joint venture between Shell and Mobil.

My issue with this is how the how and the why you responded with the "Amsoil.....grain of salt" quote. I care less what you think or feel about Amsoil or any other company. I don't sell it or make a cent from it. I do however like people to see the whole story not a 1/2 truth used disqualify a source used for another point. Aka the no oil naturally prevents rust in an engine point. The fact you use the "Amsoil uses the 4 ball test therefore has no bearing on the subject" is kinda underhanded. That company has been around longer than you have been alive. They didn't survive by not delivering on the claims. You get sued out of existence. Hell Mobil sued Castrol over claiming Syntec was full synthetic while using class 3 base stocks to produce it. They lost and started doing the same thing. That's ok though. They are a real oil company. The whole truth is, yes Amsoil uses a modified 4 ball wear test for 4 stroke motor oils and they also explain the how and the why clearly on their web site. This will be the last I respond to you because its a loosing battle. It's just going to drag the threads down. I know how you operate, Mr. Ben Walker, from reading every single post in the AS oil thread and the one here. You being wrong isn't an option.
The only relevance the four ball test has to a four stroke engine is one with flat tappet cam follower. I've never seen a reputable company market with such a test other than Amsoil. Have you?
And my grain of salt comment comes from Amsoil long history of using non industry standard tests, technical inaccuracies and misleading comments in their marketing. Company's like Shell, BP, Chevron, Citgo, P66, Exxon-Mobil do not do this.
One other comment. Have you ever seen these four ball test results correlate with UOA. There was a thread on Bitog years ago that explored this and no correlation was found.

Last edited:

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm sorry fellas for yesterday and the big derailment. I smashed the ignore button for the ope member formerly known as Ben Walker after posting yesterday. The endless debating is not worth it and the rest of you shouldn't have to endure it. Anyway, I have unsubscribed from this now. Carry on fellers.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wait a cotton picken minute bull mountain is Ben Walker aka bwalker? I thought he got the hammer a while ago but maybe it was only for a time period

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wait a cotton picken minute bull mountain is Ben Walker aka bwalker? I thought he got the hammer a while ago but maybe it was only for a time period

mussay I was thinking that same thing

rjames

The clean beaver gets the wood
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d rather have the slobber. I know that opinion isn’t popular, but that’s the sign of excess oil being blown out the muffler

Shoot airybody knows you northern Michigan honyocks like a little slobber knobber once in awhile...

I believe I have a saw to send you, just have to find the time to box it up dammit. I'd love to procrastinate more, but I keep putting it off...

Flying_Dutchman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t think it’s a full vs dino thing as to whether they burn completely or not. That’s more a product of heat than anything.

Nor does the fd rating mean they’re worth a sh!t or not
Are you saying actually FD certified, or just claiming to meet FD?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you saying actually FD certified, or just claiming to meet FD?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Either.
An FD rated oil placed last out of 20 or so in a lean ratio test I saw. 10-15 of the oils tested weren’t rated at all and placed higher