High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What do you use as alternate gasket material?

SteveSS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm trying to find an alternate gasket material to tighten up the squish on an MS260. With the OEM gasket it's at about .032 if memory serves, and without the base gasket it's at .012. There are some pretty old threads on AS about using manilla folders, but then I recall a thread last year when Randy pulled apart a saw that had ingested its paper gasket. The manilla folder is actually a perfect thickness to put me right at .020, but I don't want to hose something up by using it.

So what do you guys use when you need a thinner gasket and machining things is not an option?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
8:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cereal box and some permatex 518? I actually used the cardboard from a pack of smokes once. It measured .010 and once compressed it was good for .008. If you make your own gasket with some sort of cardboard or paper make sure you use a bit of 518 or similar on it as well. It helps to keep the gasket in place and helps to make for a better seal.
I've even used the cardboard from a pack of smokes to set my coil gap before too.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing wrong with .015" on a 50cc saw if all the bearings are tight. I use motoseal by permatex. I'd try that and a beer can...or 2 or 6

SteveSS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I wasn't too sure about stacking cans.

SixGun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used a greeting card before, the paper actually seemed to be very high quality. Re-check cylinder bolts after running. The only gasket I've seen sucked in was a big bore kit that someone else did and it didn't sit down all the way because it needed to be trimmed on the transfer bump.