High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 038 magnum for Andrew... What do they like?

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not too sure where the guess work is on the metric to imperial conversions but, i can definitely say I can't stand shirts with pockets. šŸ¤£
Just something else for branches to catch on and rip!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
" i can definitely say I can't stand shirts with pockets. šŸ¤£"------- My first wife bless her heart bought me pants with no back pockets and shirts with no pockets back in the 70's .Danged britches were hip huggers like some woman would wear .Needless to say I wasn't impressed .

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Inside the tank is an umbrella seal. On top of that nipple a short hose fits and goes into that loop just ahead of the fitting.
That hoop could jumped out and but my ass. Can't believe I didn't see that. Well, there's definitely no seal in the tank, and no hose to be found...

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That hoop could jumped out and but my ass. Can't believe I didn't see that. Well, there's definitely no seal in the tank, and no hose to be found...

You can either replace with another from Stihl or just add a Echo style tank vent at the end of the hose that you out on top of the existing and tuck it in the end of the curly hoop deal.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I imagine y'all mean 65 percent of the skirt width? Also, from my limited machining experience, I too am always taking the metric x 25.4 lol.

...and when you measure that 65% of the bore, it's straight across the exhaust port edge to edge, not following the curve of the cylinder.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nate, did you put a wanted add in the Trading Post here for an OEM P&C? I know I have one here, but I canā€™t find the Fā€™er. I bought it to mount on a 262 Husky and never got around to it. They have the same stroke and a 12mm piston pin. And nearly the same base bolt pattern.

Itā€™s a shorter stroke than an 044, so the piston will take more crank degrees to travel the same distance to the exhaust roof. Remember, piston speed is fastest in the middle of the bore around 90*.

Iā€™d probably got with a 102 exhaust roof, 122 transfers and 80 on the intake. They have a strange carb with a right angled Venturi that matches the 026 type intake snout With the vertical wall on the fly side. Big lazy case too, so Iā€™d keep the intake port on the smaller side.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tubing usually has a grub screw in it.
Very true, they did. However, after repairing several that plugged up at that point for whatever reason(gunked up, line shrunk etc.) I find it easy to use the little Echo vent instead on a saw that's going to being used. A restoration is a different story and then yes, you would want the little grub screw in the line as made by Stihl.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that's another one that causes long winded converations .Some say the maximum rate of expansion is 20-25 degrees after ignition but it makes sense max torque should be at 90 degrees .Some try for 100-102 after TDC and some raise it up a few to gain speed .I think it's a trade off .
Some have the idea a short transfer is better than the standard 20 degrees .Then again it comes back to port time area open .In other words the faster it goes you either need more area or more pressure because you have less time to do it .

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had no idea you guys all commented on here. Somehow, I wasn't getting bells for this thread... Thanks for your input! I'm getting ready to crack into this thing.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the difference, if any, between the 038 magnum, and magnum 2?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Besides the addition of the number 2 these things were made all over the world and had about 4 different exhaust systems .It isn't rocket science that a lttle creative use of a die grinder could turn the most restrictive into the least restrictive .Plus some used a Bing 48 carb and some used an HK -42 carb which most likely wouldn't cause much of difference . They might still make the 380-381 which is not sold in North America but you can get the parts .

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Besides the addition of the number 2 these things were made all over the world and had about 4 different exhaust systems .It isn't rocket science that a lttle creative use of a die grinder could turn the most restrictive into the least restrictive .Plus some used a Bing 48 carb and some used an HK -42 carb which most likely wouldn't cause much of difference . They might still make the 380-381 which is not sold in North America but you can get the parts .
The 380 isn't even close to the same saw. Wildly different bolt pattern on the cylinder for one.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why on earth did they change it ,the thing was almost bullet proof to begin with ? No matter I guess because there's more 038 Mag parts available than Carter's have little liver pills .

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm shopping badges for him. This was an av. It's now based on a mag case. Mag 2 repros are available. They look nice.