Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
8:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@drf255
Does your compression tester have a Schrader valve in the bottom of the hose? I guess I don't see length of hose as a factor, although you'd have to pull a few more times to fill the hose with air.

Nice build thread, btw

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@drf255
Does your compression tester have a Schrader valve in the bottom of the hose? I guess I don't see length of hose as a factor, although you'd have to pull a few more times to fill the hose with air.

If you made the combustion chamber bigger, and pulled a few more times, would you gain, lose, or keep compression the same ?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you made the combustion chamber bigger, and pulled a few more times, would you gain, lose, or keep compression the same ?
If you make the area between the Schrader valve and the piston larger, comp will go down.

Some testers only have 1 valve, and it's in the top by the gauge, is why I asked. And they don't work for doing what we're doing

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you make the area between the Schrader valve and the piston larger, comp will go down.

Some testers only have 1 valve, and it's in the top by the gauge, is why I asked. And they don't work for doing what we're doing

I understand the schraeder valve needing to be in the screw in adapter.
I question the area inside the hose.
At the end of the day, I see it as an extension of the combustion chamber, with or without a schraeder in the adapter, it is still volume to be accounted for

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I see what you're saying now tho. If there's a valve in the bottom of the hose, like right where the electrode on a spark plug would be, if you used a longer hose you'd just have to pull more to fill the hose with compressed air.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand the schraeder valve needing to be in the screw in adapter.
I question the area inside the hose.
At the end of the day, I see it as an extension of the combustion chamber, with or without a schraeder in the adapter, it is still volume to be accounted for
It's not an extension of the combustion chamber tho if the valve in the bottom works. You're trapping the air between the gauge and the head. You could have a 10' length of 4" pipe for a hose. And if you pulled enough times you'd eventually fill the pipe to the same capacity which was produced inside the head

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw's together. 70mph winds and 18" of the forecasted 30" of snow is cramping my style. Not gonna have the time to start this guy till tomorrow, and even then, not sure where I'm gonna find something to cut.

The covers didn't clean up well. I will post a video of it sprinting when possible.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453575965.454194.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453575977.980904.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453575988.228007.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453575998.818573.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking damn good Al. Your attention to detail is amazing my friend.
Thanks Randy. Build threads are my favorite. A way to learn and brainstorm. There's a lot of interest in the little 024/026 and I'm liking that a lot.
@drf255

Nice build thread, btw

I'm seeing it both ways and I'm a bit confused as well.

On one hand, there's no way to get pressure into the hose unless the valve is opened by a pressure differential.

On the other hand, the moment that valve opens, the total volume of the vessel is increased to the chamber plus the hose.

I'm still not clear here.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw's together. 70mph winds and 18" of the forecasted 30" of snow is cramping my style. Not gonna have the time to start this guy till tomorrow, and even then, not sure where I'm gonna find something to cut.

The covers didn't clean up well. I will post a video of it sprinting when possible.

View attachment 5940View attachment 5941View attachment 5942View attachment 5943

Damn! I've only got an inch so far. Supposed to get 6-10... 30" would be quite the money maker for me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks.

The good news is I got it running and no explosion.

Bad new is 30" of snow, some fuel delivery issues, and a slight rub on the piston skirt (but not the crown or rings).

There was some case corrosion, and I just can't let the rub go, so its coming back apart for a check.

I could be wrong here, because the rub is so slight, but I just cant not do it.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks.

The good news is I got it running and no explosion.

Bad new is 30" of snow, some fuel delivery issues, and a slight rub on the piston skirt (but not the crown or rings).

There was some case corrosion, and I just can't let the rub go, so its coming back apart for a check.

I could be wrong here, because the rub is so slight, but I just cant not do it.
Sure it's not residual oil?

petedaycab

let's roll some coal...............
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

View attachment 5940View attachment 5941View attachment 5942View attachment 5943

Looks great , I have found some really nice used 024 plastics on eBay for little $$$, you just have to spend some looking through them. Just a suggestion

petedaycab

let's roll some coal...............
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I hope mine looks this good.

SixGun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just throwing it out there,
Its not rubbing the case is it? I recently saw that happen on intake side of 460 and I trimmed rear of case and now it clears.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Randy. Build threads are my favorite. A way to learn and brainstorm. There's a lot of interest in the little 024/026 and I'm liking that a lot.

I'm seeing it both ways and I'm a bit confused as well.

On one hand, there's no way to get pressure into the hose unless the valve is opened by a pressure differential.

On the other hand, the moment that valve opens, the total volume of the vessel is increased to the chamber plus the hose.

I'm still not clear here.
As long as the valves at the tip (and its working correctly) the length of the hose has no bearing on cylinder volume. The pressure in the hose will be less than the incoming charge from the piston until it fills. Course then your guage wont read any higher.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As long as the valves at the tip (and its working correctly) the length of the hose has no bearing on cylinder volume. The pressure in the hose will be less than the incoming charge from the piston until it fills. Course then your guage wont read any higher.
This is where I wonder about something.
Once that valve opens, isnt the hose a part of the chamber ?