West German 024 Super-With Build Pics

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok the way I see it where the valve is don't matter. It's like saying that your truck tire will have more air pressure in it when the valve stem is on top. Or like saying on a air tank move the gauge from the bottom to the top. Supply two air hoses off one tank but one hose is 10' and the other is 100' they both have the same psi. Psi is just that pounds per square inch. A one gallon tank with 100psi in it is the same as a 500 gal tank with 100psi. How long to fill it changes and the available volume.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is where I wonder about something.
Once that valve opens, isnt the hose a part of the chamber ?
100% where I get confused too.

Once that valve is open, the hose should be part of the chamber.

But, once the pressure in the cylinder exceeds that in the hose, it should vent.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the valve placement mattered why are these snapon testers valves by the gauge. One way your filling the hose and holding it with the valve. The other is just a shorter distance.

image.png

image.png

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the relief valve by the gauge. Those hoses have shrader valves in the bottom if you look close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that once the gauge reaches as high as you can get it the valve is no longer opening. So at that point the hose is no longer contributing to cylinder volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100% where I get confused too.

Once that valve is open, the hose should be part of the chamber.

But, once the pressure in the cylinder exceeds that in the hose, it should vent.
And that venting increases chamber volume, lowering compression.

Maybe its such a small amount that its allmost negligible??

SixGun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On my compression gauge, it came with a check valve at end of hose and at the top. I wasn't getting good readings until I removed the top valve.
Somehow the hose between valves was a buffer and giving me lower readings

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There were some supers that came out of Germany . To know for sure where a Stihl was built if the first number of the serial is a 1 (one) it's made in Germany , 2(two) USA and 3 for Brazil .

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The hose will be part of the combustion chamber volume, there is no changing that. The gauge doesn't know the difference between hose and chamber. The position of the valve makes no difference, the valve just holds pressure "in" the gauge so it doesn't bleed off and you can get a full reading.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The hose will be part of the combustion chamber volume, there is no changing that. The gauge doesn't know the difference between hose and chamber. The position of the valve makes no difference, the valve just holds pressure "in" the gauge so it doesn't bleed off and you can get a full reading.
Not to disagree with you, but I disagree with you.
Take all the valves out of the tester. Think about cc's of the hose. Say a saw pumps 50 cc's of air out of the plug hole for each revolution, and will do so at 150psi.. If you had a 500cc hose, that 50cc is so negligible that the gauge won't even move. If nothing traps it inside the hose, it goes back into the cyl and out the exhaust . If you had an infinitely small gauge hose, with no Schrader valves at all, the gauge would go up, down, up, down...with each revolution.
Add a valve to the top by the gauge, and now the gauge holds that highest achieved #. Again, with a hose much larger than the combustion chamber, the gauge may not even move because the hose is so much larger than the combustion chamber. With an infinitely small hose, the gauge would read the same as what was inside the chamber. But an infinitely small hose is only practical on paper or in science.

Now add a Schrader valve to the bottom, right inside the combustion chamber. 50cc of air each revolution can fill that hose without escaping. And if it can't escape, it will eventually reach the same psi as in the chamber. If you used an infinitely small hose it would only take 1 revolution. The larger the hose, and smaller the saw, the more revolutions it takes to fill that hose with compressed air.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to disagree with you, but I disagree with you.
Take all the valves out of the tester. Think about cc's of the hose. Say a saw pumps 50 cc's of air out of the plug hole for each revolution, and will do so at 150psi.. If you had a 500cc hose, that 50cc is so negligible that the gauge won't even move. If nothing traps it inside the hose, it goes back into the cyl and out the exhaust . If you had an infinitely small gauge hose, with no Schrader valves at all, the gauge would go up, down, up, down...with each revolution.
Add a valve to the top by the gauge, and now the gauge holds that highest achieved #. Again, with a hose much larger than the combustion chamber, the gauge may not even move because the hose is so much larger than the combustion chamber. With an infinitely small hose, the gauge would read the same as what was inside the chamber. But an infinitely small hose is only practical on paper or in science.

Now add a Schrader valve to the bottom, right inside the combustion chamber. 50cc of air each revolution can fill that hose without escaping. And if it can't escape, it will eventually reach the same psi as in the chamber. If you used an infinitely small hose it would only take 1 revolution. The larger the hose, and smaller the saw, the more revolutions it takes to fill that hose with compressed air.

Great explanation!

Welder56

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I like the glass beading them as well. It's an easy way to clean the years of crap that clings to the cooling fins

Good job Al! Looking forward to the results!!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What did you change Al or did I miss it?
The piston had a light rub mark on the exhaust side.

I figured it would be best to pull it back apart, check all my bevels, and re-clean everything before the issue got worse.

I coulda let it sit, but I'm not made that way. Plus, it's going to a good friend and it needs to last.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston had a light rub mark on the exhaust side.

I figured it would be best to pull it back apart, check all my bevels, and re-clean everything before the issue got worse.

I coulda let it sit, but I'm not made that way. Plus, it's going to a good friend and it needs to last.
Did you figure what caused the rub?