davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So this sounds kinda silly, but...I have crud building up on bar n chain from my tamarix aphylla trees. Wonder if I could put something on to keep it from sticking...and slip through the wood faster/easier? Maybe just keep some WD40 handy...

redoakman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So this sounds kinda silly, but...I have crud building up on bar n chain from my tamarix aphylla trees. Wonder if I could put something on to keep it from sticking...and slip through the wood faster/easier? Maybe just keep some WD40 handy...
tbh nothing is really going to fix that , u would be wasting your money and time with the wd40. best option you got is crank your oiler up .

MS500i R

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
To get the gunk off the bar, and saw. I've had really good luck with K&N Power Kleen, and a stiff plastic brush. Spray it on, scrub a bit, and rinse off with water. Then blow dry with an air compressor, and a rag for getting the left overs.

For newer saws Stihl seems to use a different black paint. At least in my experience (261/462/500i), the K&N stuff doesn't take the paint off. Older saws like my neighbors 460, the black paint does seem to get eaten by the stuff.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to use a lube called White Lightning on my mountain bike chain, I believe it's teflon based. It did a great job of keeping mud and muck from sticking to the bikes chain, sprockets, etc. I've thought about using that for a saw chain, but never got around to it.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my neck of the woods the oaks all leave a heavy brown residue on my chains. I soak them overnight in Berrymans B-12 carb cleaner. Not the Berrymans of old, but it gets into and causes the crap to swell up so it can be brushed off under cold running water. They come out squeaky clean. Yesterday after cutting up some Chestnut oak (the worst for this) I made some cuts in a nice thick piece off frozen Beech and the chain cleaned right up. Have also noticed I have the problem on most of my Stihls. It’s like the Germans are trying to save the planet by skimping on bar oil even turned all the way up. On my old saws where the chain is visibly wet I never get buildup on those chains when running. It’s easy to see whybyou wouldn’t.