High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I posted this question in another thread, one that is already WAY too long, and understand completely how it got overlooked, but thought it worth addressing on its own merit. Would love to hear from all the saw porters. I believe I saw the list as: mastermind, jmssaws, mdavlee, tree monkey, scarr, and Miller.

So the question is:

Forwhat period of time after you mail the saw to the owner? Or worded differently for how long do you warranty the saw once it is put into use? Because as a number of people pointed out, everything breaks eventually.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I tell you the answer , for giving warranties must go under some emissions that each country-state have , to give warranties must have tests that you make in some officials laboratories, tests centers, or something similar.
Theese porters are some enthusiast that they want to make a saw run better some of them doing for hobby and some of them for living or for extra money-help for theirs families, for sure dont wait from mastermind or someone else to put some milions of euros for making testing laboratories for give you warranties like stihl-husqy can give you , the only that they can give you is if you trust them or not, or if you believe what the others say for them or not.
Now go to your stihl dealer buy a oem cylinder and ask him to sigh a waranty paper if he do it i jump from the roof

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You don't need a lab, or special tests to stand behind your product. When building a motor for performance I have always had the belief that hampers the longevity and reliability of a motor. Now some people swear that a woods ported saw doesn't lose any of that but sometimes increases the longevity.

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I stand behind one 100% for as long as you own it for the work I did,if it breaks from something I did I'll fix it.

Ok, but lets use the example of that other 40+ page thread. It sounded (to ME) like the failure was not related to the port/modifications made to the saw. The problem is that the OEM part broke, completely unrelated to the modifications, but since the saw has been modified Stihl's/Husquvarna's OEM warrenty is gone. So is the owner then just getting tough love, or is there some other work around?

P.S.
I know how things were resolved (or sound like it anyways) in that other situation, I am asking about how/what you Builders/Porters think about this question/scenario.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted this question in another thread, one that is already WAY too long, and understand completely how it got overlooked, but thought it worth addressing on its own merit. Would love to hear from all the saw porters. I believe I saw the list as: mastermind, jmssaws, mdavlee, tree monkey, scarr, and Miller.

So the question is:

Forwhat period of time after you mail the saw to the owner? Or worded differently for how long do you warranty the saw once it is put into use? Because as a number of people pointed out, everything breaks eventually.
I think most of them will warranty their work they did if it hangs a ring or something of that nature from the porting but they cant warranty normal wear items such as clutches, bearings, carbs, etc.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, but lets use the example of that other 40+ page thread. It sounded (to ME) like the failure was not related to the port/modifications made to the saw. The problem is that the OEM part broke, completely unrelated to the modifications, but since the saw has been modified Stihl's/Husquvarna's OEM warrenty is gone. So is the owner then just getting tough love, or is there some other work around?

P.S.
I know how things were resolved (or sound like it anyways) in that other situation, I am asking about how/what you Builders/Porters think about this situation.
If looking for the bumper to bumper warranty then keep it stock and take advantage of the dealer/factory warranty

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it had nothing to do with the porting then why should the porter pay for it?

If your worried about the manufacturers warranty don't port a new saw.

I am not so much worried about my saw etc. I was just curious about how things worked. More business model than applying it to my own equipment, if you get my drift.

and maybe having things like this spelled out so that knuckleheads (like myself) can see it "cut'n'dry" will prevent unpleasantness.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I honestly feel if you have someone soup up a motor to run faster rpm, higher compression, more hp and torque with anything oem that is spec for less performance is a risk that you take. Don't expect a tire rated for 70 mph hold up well at 180 mph.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kept my yap shut in the other thread because I believe not to terribly many people would care about my opinion:D.

But since you asked here I firmly believe that NO ONE owning a modified saw should EVER hold a builder liable for damages unrelated to modifications. The owner of said saw should have enough common sense that if the warrenty is void because of the modifications your the one that needs to pony up and pay for it.

On a side note I dont feel its right to try to weasel the factory into warrentying any failed parts on a modified saw.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I honestly feel if you have someone soup up a motor to run faster rpm, higher compression, more hp and torque with anything oem that is spec for less performance is a risk that you take. Don't expect a tire rated for 70 mph hold up well at 180 mph.
But a woods port really isnt a souped up saw but only optimizing what the factory gave you. It will probably breathe better and run cooler but the added compression/load on the bottomend may be alil more wear but thats why most go 32to1 on oil

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I kept my yap shut in the other thread because I believe not to terribly many people would care about my opinion:D.

But since you asked here I firmly believe that NO ONE owning a modified saw should EVER hold a builder liable for damages unrelated to modifications. The owner of said saw should have enough common sense that if the warrenty is void because of the modifications your the one that needs to pony up and pay for it.

On a side note I dont feel its right to try to weasel the factory into warrentying any failed parts on a modified saw.

Well Said.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I said in the other thread that once you port a saw you are expected to raise it forever. I've fixed several that was no fault of mine but if it can save face I do it.

But there's some people I won't fix anything for. It's a relationship and they can be bad or good.

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I said in the other thread that once you port a saw you are expected to raise it forever. I've fixed several that was no fault of mine but if it can save face I do it.

But there's some people I won't fix anything for. It's a relationship and they can be bad or good.

Yah I saw that, and respected you more for saying it. I was curious how the other builder's felt, especially after something that Randy had said in the same thread.

Plus Hong Kong Phooey rocks

Last edited:

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I also think if I choose someone to port my saw I am choosing a mechanic for the life of that saw. I mean how can I trust some local guy with no knowledge of the saw to fix my modded saw correctly. I would rather send it back to the guy who knows it inside out. In return I would hope that said builder would be willing to fix the saw at a fair price and willing to have that kind of relationship. But again I don't have any ported saws.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had two saws ported by @Termitebuffet He contacts me frequently and asks how the saw is doing. He wants feedback.

Randy has been working on saws for years and knows what he is doing, I consider him a good friend. He is one of the guys who if anything went haywire with my saws that he would make it right.

My take on ported saws... When I send a saw to be ported, its my deal. If I have a issue ever comes up with any of my saws I will not *b-word. It was my choice to have a saw modded, whatever happens after a "build" is on me if a problem comes up. I do my research on the guys who I have port my saws. I WILL not have any Tom, Dick, and Harry touch my saw. I only let guys who I have a relationship with touch them.

I have had 4 saws ported, only one of them I have been disappointed with, but that was my fault. At that time I did not have a "friendly" relationship with.

I have been extremely happy with the two Randy's.
Mastermind 7910
Termitebuffet 346 and 262
Super3 365

All three of them I consider to be really good friends. As if right now I don't know of any saw that I could possibly want ported. I feel my line up is solid. But I don't think I could sleep at night for a while if I had another saw that I wanted ported and had to decide on who to port it....

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If one breaks from something I did I'll do my best to fix it to make the owner happy. Had 3 saws that had something go wrong with. We came to a agreement to fix them all. Stuff happens when these things are modded and some times it's weird things. On the other hand if you asked for a hot saw for a short bar and killed it on a Alaskan mill then I would have a hard time fixing it since you knew up front it wasn't for that.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If one breaks from something I did I'll do my best to fix it to make the owner happy. Had 3 saws that had something go wrong with. We came to a agreement to fix them all. Stuff happens when these things are modded and some times it's weird things. On the other hand if you asked for a hot saw for a short bar and killed it on a Alaskan mill then I would have a hard time fixing it since you knew up front it wasn't for that.

I usually tell them to send the saw back for a full refund if it's something remotely related to my mods.

I've done but a few.

Like I mentioned earlier, Mastermind, Termitebuffet and Super3 have been the three who have modded my current saws.

Personally the only other guy who I would feel comfortable touching my saws would be you two, jmssaws and Tree Monkey.