Upper transfer angles

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ac or dc? Is your input voltage below any set threshold?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No indications on ASCO board, and by that, I mean zero with all 3 generators on line and energized. Its in the paralleling gear, but I checked the obvious (controll fuses, resets, burned relays, etc..) and its pretty complex from 1999-2000

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay. Back to the port work please. I was starting to actually learn something. Thanks.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay. Back to the port work please. I was starting to actually learn something. Thanks.

Sorry Clint, back to learning which is questions for me.

I think that's right. It also flows right behind the exhaust so it's partially wasted and partially filling. I think it helps keep the exhaust flowing out more completely than opening the intake side first to cause a swirl which will mix the exhaust up more.
So we are just talking about quads here right? Im a tad confused, why with fingers do they open acouple degrees sooner on the intake side?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

So we are just talking about quads here right? Im a tad confused, why with fingers do they open acouple degrees sooner on the intake side?
You can do either one. I've been playing around with different heights on the transfer from exhaust to intake side. You can do it to a 2 port like a 262 or 288.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The fingers open first for a couple of reasons. One....to get the flow started ahead of the mains. The flow will take the path of these resistance, so by opening them first flow has to take that path. By the rules of inertia, once started......it's not likely to stop.

Two......the fingers are aimed at the exhaust port, so opening them first acts to push the exhaust out.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Fingers opening before the mains definitely helps getting exhaust out and bringing a fresh Kool charge in, any improvement in efficiency is very noticeable in the wood.
Every saw I've put fingers in gained, I ran a 064 a bunch that was already ported then just added fingers 2 degrees before the mains " mains open flat across " and it picked up 500 rpm in the wood easily.

Also adds a different crackle to the exhaust that I like.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My next project will be an 026 with a single top ring, fingers, and a Tig welded combustion chamber for the comp increase.

I have to fashion a small plexiglass plate to cc the stock chamber and the welded one.
Are you welding the band wider or filling the center? Weld the plug whole shut and move it to the center?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It seems welding the combustion chamber would be easier with a center plug, course it would look silly sticking out of the top cover.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In any of the saws I've ported, which is only a few. I've opened the transfers flat across. When people talk about adding fingers they say to open them 2 degrees sooner. So, I believe you could have the same affect by angling the uppers. But won't this give you less time/area at a given duration?
I think the few degrees on fingers purge the topend alil before the uppers open. Less diluted charge effect. Just my opinion

Last edited: