Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put a ring in there and draw a line.

It was apparent in Carl's thread on the 661. He did just that.

It was on "Fin's Twins" IIRC
I dont trust a ring, sometimes they aint exactely straight, but I will measure with my calipers the next time it is off the saw, or when I grab another cylinder

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here you go. You might be able to tell. The intake side is sloped on the roof of the transfer.
1230150859~2.jpg

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here you go. You might be able to tell. The intake side is sloped on the roof of the transfer.
That looks like the same as the 661 picture ............ intake sloped towards chamber on intake side

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple people told me to open the exhaust side first to purge better. Then the intake side can be 2° lower and still flow good.
Now I be cornfused ............
How does the exhaust side open first and the intake be 2 deg lower ??
Are you talking 2 degrees lower for a finger ?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like the same as the 661 picture ............ intake sloped towards chamber on intake side
They're level best I can tell with the piston top when degreeing the saw. The roof is just sloped compared to the exhaust side.

Yes putting the fingers to open last for a blast right before it starts to come back up.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe I misunderstood the question, the angle at the the plating is from how you bevel/chamfer, no?
Can be if you put a big chamfer on there. I try to go as small as possible and just break the edge with a diamond coating ball.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm missing the multi quote option. :(

The old fellers that I've spent the most time listening to told me this.

The angled upper transfers help the engines have a wider power band. When we make them completely flat, we narrow that range.

BUT, it comes on stronger in the range we end up at.

Playing with transfer and exhaust height has helped me see how that relationship changes stuff. In other words, a lot of testing needs to be done to decide what height, and opening style helps the engine make the most power right where it is needed. If we build the engine where it makes the most power at 16,000 RPM, it's not really gonna be that useful in the real world. Changes are good that it will never hold 16,000 in the cut, so it will end up working at a much lower RPM than it was designed for. All that high RPM power.....it's just wasted.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No matter how many saws I've done, I still second guess myself, and look for new and different things to try.

Like Mike said on the quad port saws. Opening the exhaust side transfer (main) a couple of degrees before the intake side (secondary) seems to give those saws a little something extra. I'm not sure why, but I have a theory. That transfer passage is larger, so when we open it sooner, we begin to give it more flow inertia.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No matter how many saws I've done, I still second guess myself, and look for new and different things to try.

Like Mike said on the quad port saws. Opening the exhaust side transfer (main) a couple of degrees before the intake side (secondary) seems to give those saws a little something extra. I'm not sure why, but I have a theory. That transfer passage is larger, so when we open it sooner, we begin to give it more flow inertia.
I think that's right. It also flows right behind the exhaust so it's partially wasted and partially filling. I think it helps keep the exhaust flowing out more completely than opening the intake side first to cause a swirl which will mix the exhaust up more.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I succefully confused myself this am. I was trying to find a 250k ohm ground in 8k feet of cable. While converting ohms to distance i was throwing degrees in the mix:(

I really need to focus.
I got 3 generators that wont energize from the paralleling switchgear ................. HATE to call in ASCO, got any tips ?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All switches remain open, but charged .......... all AUTO based on paralleling input
:confused: