Trees you've cut

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That comment about dead ash is you file about every tank of fuel. Shagbark live is not bad,dead about like concrete.Dead Ohio beech is the hardest stuff I ever got into ,it's like reinforced concrete .E Copsey had a petrified beech log at a GTG that nearly stalled everything that attempted to cut it including an 090 Stihl .It dulled the chain on one of my 125 Macs in one cut .

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the ash around aren't really hard, but they will dull a chain quick. I think they drag sand up as they grow. It's about like cutting a roadside tree that's had ice control sand plowed into it for 50 years

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now this maple business .From what I gather the Canadians call sugar maple "rock maple .Now we have sugar maple in Ohio,lots of them .I have a couple 80 footers in my woods about 30 inches in diameter .I don't find it all that hard but then again I've never cut a dead one.The only ones were nuisance trees live .The things live forever ,I'm not certain I've ever seen a dead standing .

The lumber is hard I'll give it that .Fact they make bowling alleys from the stuff .For that matter the largest producer of bowling alley maple in the world is about 25 miles to the south of me .

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's a teaser. PVC pipe is 5' long. I guess he was right, it is going to be a 5' stump.
13648.jpeg
If he thinks I'm going to flush cut it he's nuts. I should probably ask for some money.

Last edited:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On trees with a lot of flares, I cut those off before I fell it as shown in this picture. If they're low enough for it to be felled easily by cutting above, I'd do that but often they're intruding into the height I want to make the felling cut at. And because I cut trees in residential areas, something has to be done about them anyway.
upload_2017-3-10_10-2-14.jpeg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. I generally cut about 3 to 4 feet above ground, fall the tree, then go back and make another cut close to the ground and stump it.
I will try this next time I have a tree like this. [emoji106]