Trees you've cut

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Jeff said, Ash is used in Baseball Bats and Shovel Handles, if it is solid, it is pretty hard stuff.

My Cabin is Ash post and beam, except one post is Black Cherry. You can drill a 1/2" hole in the Black Cherry twice as fast as the Ash.

My saws also go through Black Cherry faster (Black Cherry and Ash are the two most common trees we use for firewood up at my cabin).

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Fuggin Ash Borer. I'm surprised they have no natural predator.
Money! lolz
The Mountain Pine Beetle needed 2 weeks at -40.

Excavating birds like the sapsuckers and woodpeckers can hear them move and feed on them

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Could be elevation. I think they’re just making their way there. Once they run out of live trees they move further away from where they started
Stress, bark thickness, true stands and genetics as they may be 'weaker' or a different ash. They can tell a stressed stand and when they attack, then they let off a pheromone like bees. You are right as they will hit the ones on the hill soon. Michigan is the core of north American, which stands to reason with water transport being one.

Last edited:

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There are different species of ash that have different specs.. Ash is low in moisture and can be burned green. I cut a bunch off my woodlot and it was the species with the high moisture content but it dried out in no time and burned a bunch in my woodboiler. Great firewood!

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are different species of ash that have different specs.. Ash is low in moisture and can be burned green. I cut a bunch off my woodlot and it was the species with the high moisture content but it dried out in no time and burned a bunch in my woodboiler. Great firewood!
Burning dry ash in OWB leaves fine ash.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Up at my cabin in the Catskills, the Ash dries faster than anything else, so you always want some around to get the fire going.

It creates a lot of BTUs. but Cherry coals up better and is easier to relight in the morning. We often mix the two.

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ash is considered to be one of the best firewoods here. You can burn it green because there is very little moisture in it.
A piece of spruce or fir that has been left to dry for a couple of years will be way lighter in weight than a fresh piece where as there will not be near as much difference in two pieces of ash.
Ash also has quite thick twigs on the end of the branches which make the best kindling. Twigs from trees like beech and oak and birch are too thin and just rot away into nothing. If you are committed and like hard work you can use every single piece of the ash tree for something. The stem for a saw log, the branches for firewood, the twigs for kindling and the stump/root for making hurleys.
Ash dieback is an absolute tragedy.

image.jpg

Ash is even so dense that it won't dry out properly unless you split it. I have ash logs in the shed that have been there for 16 years and moisture still boils out of them when put in the fire. It doesn't really take water either though, you can dry ash in the open air with no cover quite handy compared to softer timber like fir or willow. Just leave it out of the rain for a couple of days to let the bark dry out.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Jeff said, Ash is used in Baseball Bats and Shovel Handles, if it is solid, it is pretty hard stuff.

My Cabin is Ash post and beam, except one post is Black Cherry. You can drill a 1/2" hole in the Black Cherry twice as fast as the Ash.

My saws also go through Black Cherry faster (Black Cherry and Ash are the two most common trees we use for firewood up at my cabin).
Cherry to me cuts real smooth and fast when green. When it’s dried out it seems to get a lot harder. A lot of wood is like this in a way, but it’s very noticeable with black cherry imo.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuggin Ash Borer. I'm surprised they have no natural predator.
Loggers and tree guys are there natural predator! Lol. When the majority are all cut down the theory is that the borer will have no more host trees and die out. Then the ash stand a chance of regenerating from seed or saplings that the borer didn’t go after. It’s better anyway to get some use out of the timber before it goes to waste.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Up at my cabin in the Catskills, the Ash dries faster than anything else, so you always want some around to get the fire going.

It creates a lot of BTUs. but Cherry coals up better and is easier to relight in the morning. We often mix the two.

I burn anything that gets in my way and it all gives off heat. Ash is easy to clean in stove bottom so no build up. Pine dries fast too and burns faster! Hit a pocket of pine goo and it will really put out the heat!

I have metalbestos triple wall SS with all fuel pipe liner that goes straight shot from the top of my stove to 4' above roof and has a SS cap on it. No backdraft problems and it can create a draft that will suck small stuff up the chimney if I open up the draft to the max on my stove (enlarged and customized with my cutting torch). I can get a fire started in a few seconds in any kind of weather. I rely on wood heat only and do not mess around.

This is Maine...down to -20 the other day. Sometimes I open vents when it gets too hot in that kind of weather.
tmp-cam-4339683338512134178.jpg

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s a knarly walnut tree a neighbor wanted gone. He was sick of mulching walnuts. It was too twisted and didn’t have a log get much longer than a 5’6” so I butchered it to firewood. 329EC2EC-5DD2-4C9C-A733-4DDA9EA3CED4.jpeg8DA8C4A7-8FD0-43D4-BEB2-3B4F03476EC3.jpeg D5D89057-AD2F-418B-ABD8-B8E3C45D1519.jpegC65BFA25-A938-47C3-8FC5-46D8628F4F7F.jpeg